Best 12 Weight Fly Reel for surf fishing for < $350? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Best 12 Weight Fly Reel for surf fishing for < $350?

Hi All,

Looking for your advice.

I just bought a 9' 12 weight rod as a cannon for heavy duty surf fishing throwing large flies into the wind. Looking for advice on a good reel w/ dependable drag, preferably sealed so it will stand up to the surf & sand mix, and also let me switch spools easily.

Primary use will be in the Northeast, but I also want a good drag for the occasional Tarpon & lighter Tuna fishing.

I just bought an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game LA VI on clearance but found it's not the latest version for which they beefed up the drag tension. The drag on this LA VI seems really light so I may send it back. I'm considering buying an Orvis V02 VI (new but 1 or 2 years old) but understand it's not a sealed drag so I don't know how it would stand up to the surf & sand.

My cost on the Orvis VO2 V1 would be approx $220 w/ extra spool at $100. Any recommendations for better reels either new or great condition used that I could get for up to $350 or so?
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

You've got a bit of an apples and oranges question/spec here. The Northeast surf...lots of candidates. But, if the Tarpon and "Light " Tuna are 40# fish or better, then you'll need a reel with a drag that can handle of lot of heat and with a large backing capacity. Lot of good reels like that, but not under $350 (even used). The only possibility that comes to my mind might be a Hayden II.

Last edited by vtloon; 01-28-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.