Good ol' snotty weather - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2000, 02:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good ol' snotty weather

Wind turning hard east, 15-20... heavy rain inevitable and only reaching 70 degrees on cape. Good old' snotty weather... time for the raingear and hard core attitude. I've got too many flies tied to sit around the house. The flooded streets will flush the salt off my new truck.

After thinking things over, I've decided to fish the backside of Morris Island from the refuge. The walk should be worth getting out of the weather along the bluff (faces south / southeast), and the area has had an awful lot of fish lately. Plenty of free parking; Rip Ryder will probably have no need to run the boat this weekend.

Anyone wants to join me, that's where you'll find me. Monday comes way too soon.

Have a safe and productive weekend,
Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2000, 01:42 PM

RE:Good ol' snotty weather

What a pleasure to run into the fabulous Estey bros at the causeway! After a brief chat with two wild-eyed guys with Monomoy keeper fever in their words, I lusted to get out to Morris Island. The wind was indeed very hard out of the east but the rain was nowhere in sight.

I said good bye to Gregg and Mike and hiked down the steps. I could hear the ocean surf pounding the other side of south beach sounding like a superhighway at certain points along the beach as I worked out toward North Monomoy channel.

Along the way, I passed the first sandbar as the narrow neck turns west on Morris. It didn't look too interesting so I kept going. You have to commit to the bar at it's base or else you might have some very deep wading to contend with. It's got a deep trench inside, like a cove 200 yards long. Just as I got to the end of the sand bar, I noticed that the water was quivering with sand eels in the deep hole just past the end of the bar. As the tide came (right to left) they started rounding the end of the bar and the birds and fish started to pound them pretty good. Only choice was to run all the way back to the base of the spit >huff< and then wade out to the end of the bar.

I was winded but boy was I glad I did that. Within a few casts I was into a fish that went ~32". After a long time looking at backing I photographed it and released it. Soon another, close to 30" but not quite. Then a third, about 31" if I measured my rod correctly when I got back to the cottage. The action continued at a steady pace until I decided it was best to get off the spit. Within 1.5 hours I had some of the best action in a long time; even the 25-26 inchers were literally kicking my ass with tons of drag-burning as they went for the trench 100 yards out.

Worked down the shore to the inlet of Stage; fished in the dark and found a couple of schoolies feeding in the channel in tight just outside of the harbor inlet. Got back to the cottage by 10:30-ish which was about four hours of fishing. I could hardly believe how good it was in the beginning and couldn't wait to get back in the AM...

Hit it briefly again in the morning but it was a scratch and dig session for two schoolies after the pounding storm blew thru. Had too much to do elsewhere to stay out long, but it was nothing like the night before. I got the impression that the storm made them feed elsewhere because the bait was everywhere and the fish were nowhere in the AM.

On the way back, heard from a friend that a commercial Monomoy boat unloaded
thousands of pounds of striped bass and blues at the dock. Large fluke and scup are in, and the blues are back on the Nantucket sound side after being gone for two weeks.

Got back and spent quality time with my extended family.

Not a bad outing, but I sure missed not being out on Monomoy!
Old 07-31-2000, 09:33 PM

Memories of a nice nasty night...

<center>
<font size="1">Photo Juro Mukai, all rights reserved</center>
Old 08-01-2000, 11:50 PM

Well c'mon is that a pig or what??!??
Old 08-02-2000, 08:35 PM

Oh yeah! And what a pig it is! That is a beautiful fish Juro - it's perfect!

Gregg
Old 08-02-2000, 10:23 PM

I know it's pathetic that I groveled for acknowledgement but that scan just brings me right back every time I look at it

It's a seven striper, some are ten. Still out there, took off like a rocket!

I guess the overall statement is... what a handsome species, and what a great year on the Cape.

Can't wait to get back on the case,
Juro
Old 08-03-2000, 03:51 PM

That is interesting about the number of stripes. I never knew that. Are they subspecies or is it more like the difference between blue and brown eyes?

Gregg
Old 08-03-2000, 06:11 PM
i'm so outta here

Juro - you mean that rod next to the fish isn't the miniature 1 wt. we saw at the Wilmington show?? I had her pegged as a 14" nano bass
Old 08-04-2000, 06:46 PM

You caught me. It's actually a sunfish painted with stripes. (Almost round enough to be!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.