1day in Ireland - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Certified Fish Nut

1day in Ireland

I'll be spending a few days in Dublin as part of a longer trip to London for a wedding. Really would love to get a day of salmon fishing in, if arrangements can be made.

Sounds like there rivers with salmon present, including some fresh runs, in August depending on water levels and other local factors. Since logistics will be on a tight schedule I'll need something in driving shot of Dublin.

Anyone experienced w/ transportation and fishing in 1-2hr range of Dublin? Spending a week would be ideal but this one day oppt'y might be my only chance to fish Ireland.

Is DIY a functional option (car rental, short distance to free access river, decent chance at fish)?
How hard is it to retain a guide/ghillie for a day?
Can licenses be purchased ahead of the trip?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read in books and online the River Fane might be an option. But, I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of possibilities.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
In moderation

Hey blindcurvw

Ireland is not such a large country. You can drive from Dublin to the West Coast in about 3 hours.
The best salmon rivers are on the West Coast. I have fished a number of them. You could also try the Blackwater on the South Coast, which flows into the sea near Cork.

Unfortunately the East Coast rivers are not that productive.
August is also usually a time of low water generally and the fish are not moving.
My best advice would be not to definitely book anything but work out 2 or 3 options and when it gets closer to the dates that you are there fix it all up.

If you like I can give you further info but due to the Web Site rules I need to do it through a PM.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.