going to quebec advise please - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM

going to quebec advise please

Hi all i'm off to quebec to fish with a canadian friend for a week in june on a few of the salmon rivers over there.Now i have never fished for salmon at all (only trout and saltwater)my questions are..will i be able to use a single handed 8/9/10 weight or do i need the longer switch rod (spey rod is not really an option)..2nd question what flies should i be looking to tie,any help would be great.....p.s.the rivers are ..(1) riviere Matapédia (2) riviere Cascapédia (3) Petite Cascapédia (4) riviere Bonaventure (5) riviere Dartmouth (6) riviere York.
Thanks
brett

i did post this thread in the uk and got some great help from some of the forum guys,but i got told this is the best place to get help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

I will comment only on the rivers I have fished and fly patterns that produced for me.

Matapedia - Green Highlander, Black Dose, Rusty Rat, riffled hitched Green Butt and various Bomber dry flies

York - Rusty Rat, Silver Rat, Tiger Ghost, Ally's Shrimp, riffled hitched Green Butt and various Bomber dry flies

Darthmouth - Rusty Rat, Blue Rat, Tiger Ghost, Ally's Shrimp, riffled hitched Green Butt and various Bomber dry flies.

There are at least a 100 other patterns that will work. It's a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Any one of the rods you mentioned will be OK. Use the one you cast the best.

You will need at lot more time than a week to fish all those rivers. A week on each would be just about right.

Earle Fletcher
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Earle's suggestions are right on the money.....as usual. If Earle did not release all his fish he would be banned on the Matane

All the flies that Earle mentioned are Gaspe Killers! The size of the fly is also a very important factor, perhaps as important as the pattern itself. But nothing is more important that fishing over fish......as per what Earle stated.

During June, the water is usually on the high side, so bigger flies are in order such as #2s to #6s. You should have a variety of the patterns that Earle mentioned in these sizes. You do not need every pattern tied in every size. You just need some patterns tied larger than other patterns. Muddler minnows also account for a big share of Salmon. The Green muddler is especially good on the Bonaventure. Muddlers can be tied on long shank 4s and 6s during that time of year and are especially good during high water conditions.

Also, sparsely tied flies usually work much better than the heavier dressed classics. Most productive flies are tied with sparse hair wings. This also is an important factor so whether you purchase or tie your own, make sure that you use sparsely dressed ties. If you do not tie your own, I suggest you purchase flies from the many local Quebec shops. There is a great Orvis shop in the town of Causapscal on the Matepedia. He can give you up to date productive patterns and coordinate the size with the current conditions you will be fishing. Being that this is your first trip, I think this is your best bet.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Earle's suggestions are right on the money.....as usual. If Earle did not release all his fish he would be banned on the Matane

All the flies that Earle mentioned are Gaspe Killers! The size of the fly is also a very important factor, perhaps as important as the pattern itself. But nothing is more important that fishing over fish......as per what Earle stated.

During June, the water is usually on the high side, so bigger flies are in order such as #2s to #6s. You should have a variety of the patterns that Earle mentioned in these sizes. You do not need every pattern tied in every size. You just need some patterns tied larger than other patterns. Muddler minnows also account for a big share of Salmon. The Green muddler is especially good on the Bonaventure. Muddlers can be tied on long shank 4s and 6s during that time of year and are especially good during high water conditions.

Also, sparsely tied flies usually work much better than the heavier dressed classics. Most productive flies are tied with sparse hair wings. This also is an important factor so whether you purchase or tie your own, make sure that you use sparsely dressed ties. If you do not tie your own, I suggest you purchase flies from the many local Quebec shops. There is a great Orvis shop in the town of Causapscal on the Matepedia. He can give you up to date productive patterns and coordinate the size with the current conditions you will be fishing. Being that this is your first trip, I think this is your best bet.
Venture

Do you also use sparsely tied flies in high water condition like you would usualy encounters in early June. I have always had succes with fuller patterns in high water condition with brighter colours to punch through the dirtier water we encounter in early season fishing. High water big flies or is High water big skinny flies

Jocelin

Here are my favorite high water flies for early season SAUMON

Spate fly chartreuse

Sunray shadow rabbit strip

This one I have good success in the later part of the day until dark (when the water is dirtier I will change the white bucktail to green or even blue

Garry Dog Long Tail

Jocelin
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM

The only one of those rivers where you'll be likely to use the bomber in June is the Petite. At least, I've never done so on any of the others. On some of those rivers you'll also want to have a Picasse, Pompier, Black and/or Green Stonefly, Nighthawk, Orange Blossom, Green Widow, John Olin, and Sugerman Shrimp. My guess is depending upon fish reports and water levels you'll concentrate on one of the three sections that contain the waters you've listed. Land's End has the York and Dartmouth, Middle Gaspé has the Grand and Petite Cascapedia as well as the Bonnie. And then the Matapedia on the West end. Enjoy! These can all be superb rivers if the water is right and the fish are running in June.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

What can i say, thanks guys for the info ..i need to get tying,i'll be over in june for a week and we are going to concentrate on 2 of the rivers for the week,and i'm looking forward to it

brett
Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Venture

Jocelin,

I prefer sparse flies on Gaspe Waters even when the water is on the high side. I just have more confidence with sparse flies. If the water is high and dirty, I prefer large bright flies or large muddlers. To me, a large fly bright fly tied sparsely looks better than an overdressed fly. But I could be dead wrong.

My favorite summer flies.....from #6s to #12s doubles and singles are all tied sparsely. I used to overdress my patterns. I find that most illustrations in pattern books are tied too heavily. I used to tie my own flies heavier, but now I find that my success is much better if the flies are tied slightly smaller on the hook, and slightly sparse in all sizes.

A great tip I had last year was using bright red nail polished heads on some of my patterns. One of the patterns was a bastard pattern with a two tone green butt.......sparse short black wing, and bright red head with nail polish. A few of my fish last year really liked that pattern.

Howie
Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Howie

Thanks for your response your honesty is very appreciated

Myself the only time I fish heavier dressed flies here on the noth shore is when the water is high and dirty or dirtier than normal. Here the water in never to clear its always tea coloured do to the tannin runnof.

When levels are normal i always fish sparsely tied flies also and in smaler sizes. I guess the differense will is the clearer water in Gaspe the flies dont have to be to heavely dressed compared to this side of the Big St LAurence.

The reason I think that most of all the tying book show flies that are dressed with so much stuff is probably to helf the inexperienced tier to better see the material and their layout on the conception of the fly.

Jocelin
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Venture

I know some very successful fisherman on the Matane who almost exclusively use large muddlers when the water is high and brown. They swear by it. These flies are usually tied sparsely on #2, 3X long streamer hooks.

I know guys that swear that redish flies work best when the high water starts to clearing and turns from brown to redish before becoming clear. That usually lasts for a day or so. Red Rats and Rusty Rats are the favorites for these guys.

Other than that, we each have our favorites during normal summer conditions. Mine is a small Peltie tied short and sparse on either a single or double. This is a killer. But the most popular fly by far on this river is the green butt........but somehow I prefer the peltie. Not too many takers refuse it if tied sparsely and tied on the smallish side.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Wow ... There are a lot of great opinions expressed here. You can't go wrong with any of this advice.

The Gaspe rivers (York, Dart, Petite, Bonny - at least) usually run clear - even in early-mid June. Clear on these rivers can mean VERY clear ... fish can be completely visible in many of the pools. As well these rivers run green - really green. This is not an algal stain - it's not cloudy water. I believe it's due to the copper deposits in the bedrock along the spine of the Peninsula. The fishing result of this phenomena is that nearly everybody who fishes these rivers carries flies with some-lots of green in them. Lots of the flies mentioned above classify, but you can do well with nearly any variety of sparse green salmon fly on most of the Gaspe rivers.

One other thing ... I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Green Machine in any of its variations, or brown Buck Bugs. While not being 'classics' of the salmon tiers art, they are heavily fished on many Canadian salmon rivers. This is because they are as close to 'reliable' as any salmon fly can be - particularly if the water is low. Low water (relatively speaking) is a real possibility on these rivers anytime after mid-June. I wouldn't go to a Gaspe river without a supply of small clipped-deer-hair 'bugs'.

That's my $0.02 worth ... enjoy your trip!

Jim Corrigan
Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
In moderation

Hey Brett
One of the strange things that I found when fishing the Gaspe area is that weighted flies and sinking lines are very much frowned upon.

It's not even worth thinking about.

Pete
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Venture

Weighted flies or weighted tubes are illegal on the Gaspe Rivers. You cannot have any in your possession while on these rivers.

Sinking lines and sinking heads are extremely frowned upon and not used by the sport fisherman as opposed to the poacher. Forget the thought. The rivers all can be fished properly with floating lines and long leaders.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman
Wow ... There are a lot of great opinions expressed here. You can't go wrong with any of this advice.

The Gaspe rivers (York, Dart, Petite, Bonny - at least) usually run clear - even in early-mid June. Clear on these rivers can mean VERY clear ... fish can be completely visible in many of the pools. As well these rivers run green - really green. This is not an algal stain - it's not cloudy water. I believe it's due to the copper deposits in the bedrock along the spine of the Peninsula. The fishing result of this phenomena is that nearly everybody who fishes these rivers carries flies with some-lots of green in them. Lots of the flies mentioned above classify, but you can do well with nearly any variety of sparse green salmon fly on most of the Gaspe rivers.

One other thing ... I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Green Machine in any of its variations, or brown Buck Bugs. While not being 'classics' of the salmon tiers art, they are heavily fished on many Canadian salmon rivers. This is because they are as close to 'reliable' as any salmon fly can be - particularly if the water is low. Low water (relatively speaking) is a real possibility on these rivers anytime after mid-June. I wouldn't go to a Gaspe river without a supply of small clipped-deer-hair 'bugs'.

That's my $0.02 worth ... enjoy your trip!

Jim Corrigan
Jim

I beleive Brett will be fishing in Quebec on the first week of June ( i read this on another site he posted for info)

Loved your post lost of good info

Jocelin

Last edited by Manitou; 01-09-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM

well me and my buddy from quebec are all booked now with ann from quebec sporting.10th of june is our start date,and from all the information from you guy's have given me my head is spinning!!!i'm going to take all your advise and start tying some of the fly's you recommend..one other question ''BUGS'' are they about at this time of year,because they love me

brett
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM

By "BUGS" I assume you're not referring to Green Machines or other Buck Bugs! Insects of the other variety can be an issue, but I haven't been bothered by them very often. The dreaded black fly has rarely been an issue for me when fishing in June. Sometimes mosquitos have been, but a lot of that depends upon how much precip they get the couple of weeks before you arrive. Bring a good DEET product, or buy some Watson's locally and you'll do OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.