Andros - Tides - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Andros - Tides

A quick introduction – While lurking on this board, I have been pleasantly surprised to find a group as obsessed as myself with the pursuit of silver demons in turquoise water.

I am fortunate enough to spend a decent amount of time on Andros each year and yet I find that I have only scratched the surface of what the island has to offer. Prior to each trip, I try to come up with a few ideas on where to explore and what to do. Fueled by beer and driven by paddle, I either use a SOT kayak or an inflatable raft for my exploration. However, both the beer and the paddle can be somewhat limiting to the scope of my explorations.

For this trip, I would love to do a kayak trip down Stafford Creek from Owenstown to the Stafford Creek bridge or launch the kayak from the Stafford Creek bridge and float up and back the creek with the tide. The tide really seems to rip through the bridge area of Stafford Creek and I am not interested in trying to fight the tide, especially with my beer and paddle limitations.

This leads me to my question; does anybody have a good source for tide predictions for Stafford Creek? I stay in Nichollstown and I usually go off of the tide predictions for Fresh Creek and then adjust based on actual observations while I am on the island. Having never paddled Stafford Creek, the timing of the tide or how the timing adjusts based on distance up the creek is a mystery to me.

I am not sure I can contribute much to the depth of knowledge on this board, but I will certainly try and it is always fun to just launch Google Earth and think, what’s next?

Thanks and sorry for the extended post - Kalik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Pencil me in.....

Send a private message to Josko. He spends quite a bit of time on Andros and may be able to help.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Stafford creek is about 1 hr ahead of Fresh Creek, which is accessible here: http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tidesh...and%2C+Bahamas

I think Stafford creek current turns about 1 hr after low tide, but am not sure about this.

You'll find the current peters out pretty quickly and timing it is less important than you may think. Focus on where you want to be at what part of the tide fishing-wise.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Thanks Josko!

Knowing just a bit more information about the tide and current conditions down at Stafford Creek will really let me pick my day and time. I usually spend most of my time north of the San Andros airport, but have done a few trips down to Fresh Creek and I have always wanted to do some exploring around Stafford Creek.

Looks like we will just miss being on the island at the same time.
I arrive on 12/23 and depart on 1/5.

Hoping to get back down in either February or April and then back again in June.

Kalik
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM

I can give you as much detail as you'd like about kayaking Fresh Creek, but have only been up Stafford once. Just let me know.
Also, you might try launching at Red bay and either fishing down the coast or up towards the two keys in front of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.