Favorite winter escapes and why - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Favorite winter escapes and why

It's that time of year when thoughts of turquoise waters and palm trees offer a reprieve from the bitter and nasty northern winter, unless of course you're one of our southern hemisphere anglers.

Personally I've been really locked into Acklins in the Bahamas recently, hard not to - with it's pure and pristine rugged beauty, friendly people and expansive flats. Among the many dimensions of this place I enjoyed exploring turn of the century ruins on a long hike to a bonefisher's paradise, among many other things. It requires a flight to Nassau, which is a fun part of the experience to rendezvous at the fisherman's pier for dinner before the morning hop to the out islands as a group. If you haven't tried Acklins, you should.

I am also going for the slam at Belize soon. I realize the bones aren't the largest on average but there are larger singles and tarpon, permit in one locale - sometimes on the same flat. Accommodations are comfortable and we'll be working on some group trips which offer special rates for Forum members. More details to come shortly.

Then of course there is always the 'on the fringe' DIY exploration, which is not for the faint of heart or those used to creature comforts. I have a location in mind. The trade off for dirt cheapness and an intense sense of adventure is spartan accommodation and risk. I love that.

Anyway - please share your winter destinations for the collective knowledge of the group.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM

I'm on Andros almost more than I'd like this winter and woiuld be glad to help out with logistics, questions and such.

Added 12/3: Guys, Andros bonefish lodges are empty, empty, empty and with almost no bookings for the spring. Most are shut down, but ready to reopen if a sport shows up. My guess is you could 'name your price' if showing up with a large group. Atlantis resorts in Nassau just laid off 2500 employees - it's a good indication of how tourism is going down here.

Last edited by josko; 12-04-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Turneffe flats, Belize in January for a few days; Ragged island Bahamas for two weeks in February; Acklins for a week in March; Eleuthera for two weeks in April:
getting cold here in buffalo--can't wait.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 AM

Juro,
Good morning!
When are you going to Acklins or any other DIY trips to the Carribean? Is it open to other flyfishing adventurers? I would be very interested in going!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Adventures are in planning phase - as long as you can squeeze water from a cactus, milk a goat, build a lean-to from sticks and tie the Petersen's spawning shrimp you're welcome on my deserted isle any day I'll keep you in the loop.

Cattaraugus Creek Outfitters runs several trips to the tropics each winter. There may be a spot or two left, PM VINCE for details.

Also Belize Fly Zone, our newest sponsor, has extended a special offer to forum members. I'm firming up plans for an exploratory trip with Mark Branle - username BLINDCAST

Our fabulous friend Felton is nearing completion of his new place in the untapped south end of Acklins which I can not wait to visit! He's an active member so just PM ACKLINSBOY for direct correspondence.

Last edited by juro; 12-03-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm pretty handy, the milking a goat would be a new one! Keep me posted.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Yeah they'll laugh at you if you pick an ugly one
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

I'd laugh at me too!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 AM

Have you guys thought about a ~week-long kayak camping trip?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Just leaving today for a week in Cuba, DIY and all on my lonesome. If I can find fish then fine, if not it will be Cuban cigars and Rum ( scotch if I can find it )
That will finish off a great year that included Christmas Island, Mexico (Holbox) and a weeks Bass fishing.
I'm looking forward to a trip to Ascension Bay in May to hook up with a couple of the super guys I fished with in Mexico this year, it was a great year, lets all hope next year will be just a s good for everyone.
All the best to all
Trev
Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Josko,
THAT sounds like a great adventure!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Its sad to say that for the first time in five years Acklins may not be in the cards this year. There seem to be too many obstacles at the present time. I need some sun, warm water and silver on the flats.

If anyone is up for a long weekend excursion I would probably be ready to pull the trigger on a moments notice.

Josko, camping on Andros? Juro Belize or a special little corner on Google Earth?

Lets get the down-payments down and the flights booked while the Dow is at 8500. I have to keep it on the cheap as I'm at the center of this crisis but I need to get away from 9" trout. Its been far too long since I've seen my backing.

Any takers?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:08 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Likewise, Dave . . . it looks like Acklins is out this year . . . but it's likely that I'll trade that for a week on the North Umpqua for the winter-run fish. And we'll probably still do the Abacos with my wife. But I'll miss Acklins.

Bill
Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 AM
In moderation

Hi Dave

I'm in just say when and where.

Pete
Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Time to rediscover my home waters. With the market in the toilet, it doeesn't make sense for me to spend 50 cents on the dollar for faraway fishing destinations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.