Redesigned Danielsson Reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Redesigned Danielsson Reels

Danielsson have done it again and is introducing new, redesigned FW, LW and HD.

In addition to improved silhouette and super easy spool change system,[COLOR="Blue"][I][B] the centerpiece of new reels is the drag system which allows fisher to manipulate the tension anyway it want by turning the knob 0-300 degree as on the old reels

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/do...-11-14_swe.pdf

“The drag system is new and unique in terms of material and function. It is possible for the users
to adjust the brake as they like. Fishermen use their reels in different ways, some want more and some want less drag range. On our new reels, the user has possibility to configure the drag system in up to 5 different levels. This allows you to really get what you want. The lowest level gives a
very sensitive range, which for light fishing means that, the most of range on the drag knob are usable. Highest level gives a very strong maximum tension for heavier fishing”.

For example at level 1 ( preset) HD reel will have the range ( regulated like on old reel by turning the knob from 0-300 degree) similar to old LW. At level 5, turning knob form minimum to max will give angler the drag tension significantly higher the old HD ( 17-20 lb of static weight needed to pull the backing). The level 2-4 are in-between.

After drag lever is preset the rest of manipulation is like on old reels.

LW reel: at level 1 ( preset ) the drag will have tension range as on the old LW. For example at level 5 , the drag tension will be equal to old HD.

Furthermore, this system has a built-in feature that protecting the reel
against overload. It’s not possible to accidentally put it too hard. We call it the D-FOPS (Danielsson Fine Tuning and Overload Protect System).

The HD 11-14 will be slightly heavier to balance long DH rods.
The spools on LW 8-12 and HD 9-13 , as well as LW 6-9 and 4-7 are interchangeable , the new reel will have extra 50 m of backing capacity then corresponding old reel, and the price, according to Tomas Danielson, will be only 5-10 % higher.

The drag package ( 9 composite and 9 stainless plate gives enormous drag surface and even smoother performance then old reels)
The structure of the D-VTCS (Danielsson Variable Torque Controller System). Is similar to that used on airliners.

Of course as in previous reels the new are 100% sealed.

The D-SLS (Danielsson Spider lock System) will let to change the spool even easier then on old reels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dd.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	6860  

Last edited by salmo; 11-29-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Danielsson website is up and ruining with tons of info and photos.

Note that without logging in ( North America customers) the price you see reflect VAT tax of 20% NOT applicable outside Europe.

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/in...rtsida&lang=en
Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Pencil me in.....

The reel foot on the previous LW design was oversized or of the wrong curvature and did not fit certain popular reel seats such as the ones used on older T&T Horizons. Do you know if that problem has been fixed on the newer models?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM

I will compare the reels seats between old and new models soon, as the reels are on it way to US.

I own old LW 8-12, 4-7 and 6-9 I never had any problems with the rods I used to own:

Sage SLT, XP, Winston WT or BIIX. I currently own mostly Burkheimers ( SH, DH) and silver nickel seat with wood insert seats or standard aluminum seats on those rods fit very well.

Zb
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Pencil me in.....

Thanks, I never had problems with the Loomis line of rods, but I know of others that have encountered the reel seat / foot issue. If the feet on the newer line are different check to see if they can be used to replace the older ones.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mine fits beautifully on the Horizon II, don't know about the older ones. I really love that 7wt 4-pc with the Danelsson 6nine for bones.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Pencil me in.....

The US rep knew about the foot/seat issue. He said the foot was made on the high end of the size tolerances. My smaller reels don't have the issue, just the largest LW. Everytime I stare at it I think it is curvature rather than thickness. I have the Horizon SC and really like the combo so I keep filing a little each year. The other instance I know of was Ken "McFly".
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for the clarification Basser. Now if they could make something to stop the snow...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Salmo,
Your post indicates that the old HD9/13 spool is interchangable with the new H5D 9/13 spool. Are you sure about this - because it looks like a different mounting system???
I just bot a new (old) HD9/13 with 2 spools and am concerned about whether I can mix and match.
If you can use the old spool on the new reel - can you use the new spool on the old reel??
Herb
Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM

I wrote ( see the original post) :

The spools on LW 8-12 and HD 9-13 , as well as LW 6-9 and 4-7 are interchangeable

and I was talking only about new reels.

The same info can be found on Danielsson website, which has been updated last week.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Salmo,
I reviewed the Danielsson site and I saw where the 6/9 and 4/7W spools are interchangable - but not the L5W8/12 and the H5D 9/13.

I ordered both the L5W8/12 and the H5D 9/13 with a spare spool that I had hoped I could use for both. But I do not think you are correct - at least I did not see it on their site.
Herb
Old 01-26-2009, 07:05 AM

Salmo,
I spoke to Tomas this A.M. and you are correct that the two spools are interchangeable - but I still do not see it on site.
Herb
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Go go to webshop and clik on spools ( LW 8-12 or HD 9-13) and you will find the following

info:

L5W 8twelve / H5D 9thirteen, spool
Fits to L5W 8twelve art.no: 10214
and H5D 9thirteen art.no: 10215

Zb

P.S.

My original info regarding spools was based on my conversation with Tomas several months ago and the new webshop has this info.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
resigned

Where can these Danilesson reels be purchased in the USA? Bear's Den has the Loop Evotec which I assume is similar. The G3 HD 8/10 list for $500.

Phil
Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM

There should be at least a few US dealers in the near future.

Bear's Den has the Loop Evotec which I assume is similar. The G3 HD 8/10 list for $500.

There are not the same as the design and reliability differs.

All cars looks similar too , but...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.