Tuna Fly Swap? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
President of CAC

Tuna Fly Swap?

I mentioned this earlier ,and Jim Simms just PM'd me to remind me that this was mentioned some time ago....and we agreed to wait till winter. so..I mentioned to Jim that I would love to participate but do not have the desire to coordinate this. If anyone wants to coordinate it just let us all know by just volunteering on this thread..this would require the gathering of the flies and the dividing them up among the participants and then mailing back . It would be required that participants send money for the mailing and any expenses that the volunteer incurs... that's about it. If this works out we can them try another, and decide what kind of flies...In the past I think we have covered all catagories except Tuna. PS. Also, I have taken pictures of the participants selections and posted the recipies... but I would certainly have no issue at all with what a volunteer wants to do or how he would conduct this. I recall that to simplify things and not have "math" problems we limited it to 6 flies per participants even if we had 10 participants...so it would not be torture to have to tie the same number of flies as paricipants... the flies would be divided up with some getting different flies...but all would have the recipies anyway. This is just to remind us what was done and in no way is set in cement... however what the coordinator wants to do is great with me and I expect the same from all others.

Last edited by striblue; 11-26-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
TUNA FLY SWAP

Striblue, done. I will volunteer to coordinate a tuna fly swap, as I'm intrigued by the myriad of possibilities. Six flies per entry. Six different flies in return. I'll post pictures of the entries with recipes, so respondents that don't get every fly (depending upon number of entrants)) will get the info for each provided fly.

This will be a fun winter project and entrants should supply completed patterns and recipes to me by the end of January.

Flytyers that have an interest in BFT flies, or just flytying, give it a try and post on this thread if you are in. I'll pm my mail address for forwarding flies/patterns.

Based on the bait this and previous years for BFT, it appears that it isn't exotic, e.g. halfbeacks, menhaden, sand eels, sea herring, tinker mackeral, etc.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
fish'n Hobo

Jim & John
Sounds like fun.... count me in!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Jim and I certainly can help...for those who have not fished for tuna...please participate anyway....my educated understanding is that don't worry about the "Type" of bait used..... Large deceiver patterns will work, some flies with all one color...etc.... flash...look at Trey Combs stuff.. sea habits...things like that... Steve Farrar material..... First Light Anglers flies (Nat & Derrick)...Size of the fly is not always the key...BUT... It is the Hook you use . Also, the purpose is not just the flies that have worked...as some have suggested for a swap... but lets see some creativity that is to be tested in the future....As we all know this is not rocket science... if you can tie you should sign on.... even if you have never fished for those fish....If a striper will hit a 12 inch daisey chain rubber squid (which I know has happened) trolling on an outrigger... a tuna will hit the bait .... so lets see what some guys think as well as some flies that have worked for those who have caught .... Big Game Trey Combs hooks, Gami"s, Owner, etc. 6.0 to 8.0... but don't forget some of the smaller ones... so this is also to those who have not had the opportunity to go out for them.... but we want the entries from those that have.... It will make a nice off shore box for all here on the forum...for sure. For example the first one I caught many years ago (and there have been very few since then on a fly)... and not huge tuna either... was on a all white deceiver with strips of flash... and that's it.... but the hook was a 6.0 which manufacturer I don't remember... but so what.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:24 PM

No wrapper

OK, I'm in. I'll try to copy the fly that tried to work for me, but without the candy wrapper.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 AM
obsessive/compulsive

With four now committed to a tuna fly swap, Striblue, JimS, Jim Miller and Vtloon, we still have openings. We've got a lot of tuna fans out there that could, I hope, share some of their patterns with us. This is intended to be a fun project to share info, and for all levels of fly tyers.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Jim...not sure we can get the participation...Population on all forums has dwindle off...which is understandable.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM

I'll give it a go, I'm in.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 AM

MIA ?

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the Tuxedo'd Taunter; I'd certainly like to see some "Tuna Phlyezzz".

Last edited by vtloon; 12-09-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
obsessive/compulsive

There are five committed to the swap. It would be nice to have six, or more.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
_

I've never tied a tuna fly and I'm not likely to be fishing for BFT anytime soon, but if these flies will also catch stripers and I can cast them with a 9wt then I'll join.

Sounds like the only specific requirement for this swap is to use big game hooks. I'll use 6/0 hooks if I can jam them into my vise, otherwise I'll have to go with 5/0 or 4/0.

Do you guys prefer synthetics or natural materials?

Q
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Quentin, welcome to the swap. Tuna flies are not necessarily large. In fact, the last time I fished with CSJ60 and Jeff Smith, the biat-of-choice was peanut bunker. However, flies need to be tied on stout hooks. One of the hooks of choice is the Tiemco 600sp, but some of the Gamas, and Mustad hooks are fine.

I'll give it another week, and then we'll cut it off. Looking forward to everyone's creativity.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Tuna fly swap

I'm game, as long as I don't have to provide the recipe.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Sounds like the only specific requirement for this swap is to use big game hooks. I'll use 6/0 hooks if I can jam them into my vise, otherwise I'll have to go with 5/0 or 4/0.

Do you guys prefer synthetics or natural materials?

Q
Quentin,

No need to break the vise. As Jim pointed out the flies can be small. With the exeption of a large bunker pattern I used this spring all the tuna we caught over the past two years have been on Tiemco 600SPs from size 1 up to a max of 3/0. Some fish were pushing 150lbs. I don't have a preference for material but personally the #1 criteria after matching the bait is making sure that fly will not foul. On a good day you get 5-10 shots at these fish (sometimes 1) and with the high grain/high speed lines and fast moving fish casting form means getting it there anyway you can. The best flies have good movement and life but won't foul. Baits as Jim mentioned have ranged from sandeel, halfbeak and peanut bunker/tinker mackeral to full sized bunker and herring. Almost all of which have been striper chow as well.

Sean
Old 12-09-2008, 08:12 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Sol, great to have you onboard. This is a "show n' tell" exercise and it would be appropriate to provide the recipe. If it is a unique pattern, you could become the next Lefty Kreh, Dave Skok or Bob Clouser. Looking forward to your contribution.

Incidentally, the recipe for a fly generally includes basic info, e.g.:
Hook:
Thread:
Weight, if appropriate:
Tail, if appropriate:
Wing, if appropriate:
Flank, if appropriate:
Body:
Eyes:
Head:
Etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.