Jack Gartside - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Squire animal

Jack Gartside

I'm sure you guys already know about this, but the other day I received an email from Jack Gartside's site saying he was having a spot of bother with that 'C' disease.
He's back home now but has had one lot of chemo with more to follow as well as some radiation treatment. I emailed him my best wishes and hoped he would be out fishing again soon and have already had a reply back, so he is keeping busy.
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Stevo, thanks for the update. What an icon in the industry, from Boston taxi driver to one of our most creative flytyers and authors. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Incidentally, how was your bass season in the UK this year?

The British contingent on the cape this year was meager in contrast to previous years. The Squire wasn't the same this year without the Poms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Squire animal

My purchasing of a boat kept me from your shores this year, Jim, but on the plus side it did help me catch a new English 'PB' at 12lb 1oz (33")...

Also quite a few others - all around the 30 to 31" mark...

Silas and me with a double hook-up - both fish weighed around 9lbs (31")
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM

When I think of fly tyers who thought totally "out of the box" I think of John Betts and Jack Gartside! I'm putting some good thoughts in the air for him and am looking forward to seeing more creative ideas from him that will make me say "what a great idea".

Millerbrown
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Nice! You and Silas have definitely got that fishery dialed in. Unless you have seen an upsurge in the population, I would imagine you have to leave and return from your UDLs under the cover of darkness, or have a flotilla in tow.

Hope to see you both next year on the Cape, but with the dollar appreciating against the pound, I understand if you don't make it. Our fishery/locations changed this year, but the fish are still here.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
My purchasing of a boat kept me from your shores this year, Jim, but on the plus side it did help me catch a new English 'PB' at 12lb 1oz (33")...
Stevo - what's a PB?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
6th Year Apprentice

PB = personal best .

apart from the few larger fish caught by Silas, Steve's fish are probably the biggest bass caught on the fly in UK waters.

I still keep my ear to the ground over there, and i've not seen any caught over 9lbs on the fly.

sadly the UK bass population has not upsurged, the catches are more a result of two very good and hard working anglers expanding the boundaries.

Steve - you two really should get some of this action on film one day. AEG media would probably buy it for one

GB
Old 11-27-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Stevo - what happened to the stripes?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 AM
mike oliver

OK what Steve and Silas achieved is the equivalent of a USA Fisher catching a 60LB Striper. Our avergae sized fish is 1.25 lb in weight. Our min landing size is all of 36cm. No limits on numbers. Our uk record bass is about 20lb. A 10lb fish is considered a fish of a life time. The two guys have found a mark and worked out how to tackle it with fly rods. Our bigger Bass tend to be more offshore than Stripers but this is by far the biggest angling feat for a long time in the UK salt scene. On bait it would be remarkable but fly well, practically unbelievable.

The Uk bass fishery is done. I could never invite anyone over from the USA it would be too embarrassing. Msot days would be a skunk and catching days minute fish.

Mike
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliboy
Stevo - what happened to the stripes?

Cool looking ain't they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.