Resurgence of Atlantics in SR? - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Resurgence of Atlantics in SR?

Relatively few people know that the Salmon River got it's name from it's history among the most prolific runs of native Atlantics on the continent, made all but extinct by our foolishness decades ago.

Rumor is that they are making a comeback, and are markedly more common recently. Can anyone confirm?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Atlantics

This last weekend Jim caught one. We heard several others say they knew of some being caught. Apparently, NY DEC has been putting in a serious effort to re-introduce them. With the number of Browns in the river, both those Fall spawners will be competing for the redds.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Absolutely, Juro.

Glad to see you're still among the living.

My friend Keld Olsson has caught Atlantics in the Salmon River and his fishing partner, who lives in Pulaski and is in charge of anadromous fisheries for New York State (Fran), as I understand it, has caught numerous.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Flats Rat

I released an imature bright silver fish about 7 inches that could well have been a "smolt" when I was up there last week. It had all the right attributes.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM

The NYDEC in conjunction with the feds have been stocking Atlantics in the SR since the 8o's with modest sucess. The last two years have been encouraging with more fish showing up and fish finally coming back to the hatchery for the first time. Last year an oppourtunity was missed when returning fish were not used. This year it's looking like they are going to make use of the fish that came back. It is hoped that this will result in a strain that returns to the SR in greater numbers. Nobody knows why there seems to be an increase in recruitment lately, could be the environment out in the lake...I like to think that we are finally starting to see some wild fish show up in the mix but this is pure speculation. In the long run wild fish may be an important part of the equation in that we need to find fish that are resistent to Early Mortality Syndrome (EMS) caused by eating Alewives and smelt which contain Thiaminase. Lot's of hurdles to overcome but keeping fingers crossed that the program may finally be starting to turn the corner.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Three years ago a friend an I fished for them during their "prime time".
Caught only bass, no salmonids, so no confirmation from me. But I'd certainly like to see them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.