Quebec Draws - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Quebec Draws

Spurred on by the earlier posts on this board regarding the Quebec draws, I bought a draw for the Grand Cascapedia. To my great surprise, I received a call this AM saying I had number 18 in the draw. I know nothing about this river other than it has a fabled past and can be a big fish river -- my guess is early in the season.

My dates for fishing the Miramichi in NB in 2009 appear to be July 20-24, so I decided to choose dates on the Cascapedia that would compliment those on the Miramichi. Consequently, even though I believe earlier is better on the GC, I picked 7/16, 7/17/ and 7/18 to fish there. How badly have I blundered? What can I expect at the time of the season I will be on the GC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM

What sector are you fishing? You should have at least one day on C water and that should be fine at that time of the year. The big fish will be in and yet it's not so early that they've become real dour. As you well know, a lot depends upon the weather and water levels. Your D water should have fish in by this time. That's not always true if you get time in June. Personally, I think that's a good time of the year to be there. Early June will get you a better chance at a really bright and hot pig, but early to mid-July means you know there'll be fish in the river (well, 2007 was a bit of an exception) and yet they're not totally stale.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM

While we're on the subject of the Quebec Pre-season draws, I thought I'd relate a very minor good news story.

We (two of us) got wiped out in the draws on the Gaspe-town rivers. We had one pick out of five possible lottery wins ... and the spot didn't look very good ...

But, my fishing partner actually got a day/pool that we were interested in ... with a 140+ pick on the York River! We weren't expecting anything to be available in the busy time of the season, but we got a 2-rod Sector (Zone 11) at the end of June.

I doubt that anyone will want to trade us for Grande Fourche, but it does give a bit of hope to those of us that hit the 'big numbers' in the Pre-season draws.

Jim Corrigan
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the input.

Jr. Spey,

I will be fishing in sectors D-2 and E-2. The pools are as follows:

July 16: AM pool 82, PM pools 81 and 81A

July 17: AM pools 103, 104, 105, and PM pools 100, 101, and 102

July 18: AM pool 87, PM pool 88.

Thanks again for the comments, and any more would be appreciated.

CK
Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Quebec Draws

Congratulations

Have a great time up there! Any time there is a small raise of water, a few fish might leave the forks and head up into those pools both on the Salmon branch and on the lake branch as well. Hot weather and low water would be your worst fears since these are the two main branches and when low are less likely to hold fish. Be sure to get an early start to make the most of your 6:30 to Noon before you have to switch. You'll want to cover all the water before you have to move. I assume you have a partner so even split up at the 100's. . ... If one of those pools is the dump pool, it usually has a fish in it.

I have caught fish in 81 and 88 both in the morning but not 82 or 87. Don't know about 81a. you'll have to tell us

Enjoy your winter of anticipation for casting a fly in those hallowed waters.

GOOD LUCK
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Hello Green Ghost,

Thanks for the input. I think Pool 101 is the "Dump" pool.

CK
Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Jim
You got "lucky" because some of us with lower #'s picked times "outside" primetime ;-).
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolt
Thanks for the input.

Jr. Spey,

I will be fishing in sectors D-2 and E-2. The pools are as follows:

July 16: AM pool 82, PM pools 81 and 81A

July 17: AM pools 103, 104, 105, and PM pools 100, 101, and 102

July 18: AM pool 87, PM pool 88.

Thanks again for the comments, and any more would be appreciated.

CK
Maybe someone can help fill in the blanks for me as I've only fished there three years and that was always in June. When I chose water I was always given a chance to fish C water for one day. That gave me a chance to fish on some historic pools like Berry Mountain, Lazy Bogan, Three Island, Frasers, Tracadie, and others. Berry Mountain and Tracadie were my favorites, by far. I know that for a three day draw we were allowed only that one day on C water. Is it due to the fact that fish in those pools in mid-July have become stale and the fish on Salmon and Lake Branch are more likely to be active? I know I'd find it hard to pick for three days and not select one of those pools mentioned above.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM

We did poorly on most of the draws this year. Didn't bother on the Grand Cascapedia this year, since I have not heard of any resolution to the First Nations netting issue on the Cascapedia estuary. In July 2008 we fished 2 days on 87-88 and 81-82 and saw nothing at all in those pools.

Nothing at all on York, Dartmouth. My wife got a couple of days on St-Jean (Gaspé) in mid-July; we'll give that a try, hoping for a wet summer...

cheers,
Ian.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM

My suggestion. Unless the water is higher and cooler than normal for that time of year, don't waste your time. Low water would be deadly.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Bobsold,

To whom were your comments directed?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Quebec Draws

I would be happy to fish 81 or 87 again. two trips, two fish, first pass, second pass both in July, Both Solo, one on the 6th or so one on the 16th or so 13 and 17 lbs. (back in the days before C & R). Take your water, enjoy the time, then ask them if you can try to find 89 with your 88! Never saw a thing in 88!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Quebec Draws

OOPs! I meant which ever one is the dual deep pool. I saw nothing in the bigger pool and caught one in the faster bouldery one (with some difficulty). Which is Which? is the fast one 87 or 88??
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 PM

Sorry for the confusion. My comments were directed to Smollt. I fished out of Camp Bonaventure from 2001-6 and had at least 10 assignments on the water you are talking about. Some of it is beautiful water and I've had some memorable fishing, but if the water is low, all you will remember is the long ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.