Repairing a Rio Outbound Fly line - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Repairing a Rio Outbound Fly line

I need some help....A few weeks back I was in the midst of bluefish and during the frenzy they bit off the loop end of my Rio Outbound type 3 line. I lost about 2 ft of line. How can I remake the loop to be like the manufactured loop?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
thread killer

Congrats on a hot bite. Things been kinda lifeless here for a while.

Popular topic on the speypages for a while now. Link to multi page thread with more links, pics and instruction.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showt...highlight=weld

Snoop around while your there, lots of other info on it.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM

You will get lots of opinions on this one; there are a whole bunch of ways to skin this cat.

1st question: are you set on having the loop in the line itself? I refuse (probably foolishly) to trust a factory loop. Also, to minimize weed/slime catching I like to coat my line leader junction Albright knot with pliobond or knot-sense. For the same reason I use a tapered knotless leader, adding only additional tippet (fluro or Tyger wire) if required.

With a loop to loop connection, 90% of the strength comes from the handshake (Sheetbend) knot; the loops' whipping is to prevent slippage. In fact, an Albright is also a loop to loop handshake knot with its' own turns forming the "whipping" of the line side and leader side loops.

If you are determined to have an open loop on your flyline, make a whipped loop. With some lines you can strip the cover off the core or take it off with fingernail polish remover/acetone. If you can, it makes a slimmer and firmer junction. Offhand, I don't know if this is possible with the Outbound.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM

You can make a whipped loop with a spinning bobbin or simply double back the tip on itself and put a few trap nail knots on the doubled section to create a loop. Either will be an upgrade over the factory loop.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
When it comes to knots and line connections there seems to be more than one way to filet the fish.

Shotgunner: Thanks for link. There was a wealth of information. As to the bluefish, it was a good year for me. I was fortunate be on the water at the right place at the right tide. It may not have been a good season for stripers, but the blues were plentiful, especially in July and early August.

Todd and Dave.....I do like having a loop at the end of the fly line. For me, it is easier to use when out on the water. I am going to try the whipped loop. I found online Lefty Kreh's version of the whipped loop. I have several old fly lines that I might use to experiment with different connections. It's a long winter up in NH, I'll have plenty of time to work on these skills. Thanks for the advice.

Steve
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Send it to RIO for a repair they should make it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.