I want to tie this fly, but don't know what to buy - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to FlyFishZak
I want to tie this fly, but don't know what to buy

I am an inshore wade fisher that loves to tie flies just about as much as reeling in a fish. I target specks, but if I see a red tailing, I quickly change species! I was looking up new patterns, and came across this link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1hDy431MQ

I have tied many flies before, but just got into saltwater flytying. He mentions every material he uses, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what any of it is. I write down what material he says it is, and google it, but nothing comes up. Saltwater material seems so foreign to me!

If anyone takes the time to watch the video, and doesn't mind telling me what material he is using, I would greatly appreciate it. I have watched it over ten times, but still cannot find the Polaris Crab Eyes he mentions. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Sent you PM with link I found.
Flydoc
Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
President of CAC

It seems he is using a Mylar fiber.... It looks very much like flashabou, or some other of the many flash fibers. The fly is a simple pattern and you should try using other flash fibers you find at the shops....like Angle hair. You can also buy some mylar tubing and strip that apart to get the single fibers. Also, Just buy some foam that is sold at the shops that come in squares...or go to a crafts store and they have a ton of that kind of foam in that thickness...or use whatever thickness you want. I have seen eyes like that that are joined with a short string and sold at Orvis...But he cuts them so you should feel free to use whatever eyes you want or make your own by melting a tip of 30 pound mono .... forms a little ball...color it with a black magic marker... then dip it in epoxy to seal the color... twerling it in your fingers till it sets.... That fly is not his invention.... If you look in Dick Browns book on Bonefish flies there are a number that use foam as the body. The fly is far to basic to be his... Alot of tyers use the same material and invent a name for it...like Polaris eyes..... I am positive that you can find ample substitues...or even the same eyes under a different name. The video is somewhat annoying actually... his pained presentation....and little quips about his inventing this and inventing that...just my kneejerk reaction....Just substitute what you see in the shops for that kind of basic fly.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I must have ADD, I was unable to listen to more than a few seconds before I had clicked off on the sidelines, segueing several miles away into youtube oblivion before seeing something anatomical I wish I hadn't, making me close down the browser in haste with a shiver.

An easier and deadly option for that purpose would be the Peterson's Spawning Shrimp as tied by Andrew Moy of Tightlines Flyfishing in Pinebrook NJ. And the PSS hooks will not rust in SW (I did get far enough in the video to see a bronze FW muddler hook).
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 10-21-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.