South County Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
resigned

South County Report

Tons of Bay Anchovies on the southern Rhoddy beaches. Bass stacked up all along the shoreline and wading fishermen standing right in the middle of them wondering why they weren't catching anything. There was a flyfishman I was watching casting his leader and about ten feet of flyline hooking up and frustrating the hell out of the other guys nearby. I was in a boat wishing I was on shore. No swells allowed us within fourty feet of dry sand. Fish all around the boat all morning. Anything longer than three inches just wouldn't work and a VERY slow retrieve was key. Phenomenal day today and no bluefish! All Bluefish there yesterday. Go figure. Bass in two feet of water so clear you would swear it was gin and no debris. Fish were in all my favorite spots today. PM me for those whereabouts. The games have begun. Odd thing is there are very few runts. Lots of mid 20 inch bass and a few 30's mixed in.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rhodyclave?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
. . . Phenomenal day today and no bluefish! All Bluefish there yesterday. . . . Phil
Phil,

I had a pretty good day down there yesterday (Tue) . I found conditions just like you described, but there were no blues where I was. It was all stripers, with a couple of scup and one sea robin to get the bogus slam . Small fly fished slow on the bottom worked for me, even when the fish were splashing and slurping on top.

Hope it lasts!

Q
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Jonesin...

Got my first sea robin slam a few weeks ago as well. Very cool sight. We were hitting some albies around a concentration of chovy. There were a few albies picking off pieces around a nice little ball. I cast to the ball and hook up but no run. Strip in the fish and sure enough sea robin. We motor up to the chovy and see what looks like a floating coral reef. 20-30 sea robins just floating around and in the school of chovy with their wings in full flair. Its odd stuff like that that makes this sport great.

Sean
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM
resigned

[QUOTE=Quentin]Phil,

I had a pretty good day down there yesterday (Tue) . I found conditions just like you described, but there were no blues where I was. It was all stripers, with a couple of scup and one sea robin to get the bogus slam . Small fly fished slow on the bottom worked for me, even when the fish were splashing and slurping on top.

Hope it lasts!

Q[/QUOTEI saw you on the beach. I was in the green boat.

Phil
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Phil isn't exagerating....Rhody is hot. had one of the best days of my career today.
Even caught 4 scup. Good quality fish.
I lost my 2 anchovy flies to bluefish, but discovered a new hot fly in my box that had people asking me what I was using....under all the striper flies in my box were 2 "Crystal Sminnows" that I use for snook in Florida......they really excited the fish! As they say..."out of necessity is born progress". Gonna tie up more snook flies Re retrieve what worked for me today...2 quick strips and then let it just free-fall...at least 70% of the fish hit the fly on the drop in the surf.
Ron

PS: Phil...i enjoyed the dawn visit :-)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
resigned

The place lit up like gas on a bonfire! Very happy Ron came down and finally saw this fishery in it's finest. As for a Rhodyclave? No thanks. Gun shy. Must mention a UDL.

Phil
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
resigned

Today

Get to South County if you need a serious fish fix.

Phil
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Phil,

I may try and make it down. I'll be in Cotuit on the Cape this weekend. If it's slow I will probably make the drive. I've got to get some good fishing in before winter. Should be about 2-2 1/2 hour drive by the looks of it.

Do you know if I would be able to launch a kayak in that area? Any tips on where to start?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 AM

B-mon- I'm thinking about heading down there 11/8-11/11- what are your thoughts about the fish still being around? Probably be bringing a boat.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 AM

Say Gseries,

Few places to launch a kayak...depends on surf.

You can try the area by narrow river...launch off the beach.

I've also launched several times at the deep hole fishing area in E. Matunuck...good access to W. Wall.

I'm not real interested in trying to go in / out through the breachways as they carry some serious current, but the beaches next to them can be launchable depending on surf.

Might make it down on Sunday AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:43 AM
resigned

President of our local flyfishing club called while I was out fishing. Said he met a gentleman he has not seen in a number of years. He announced that he was in his 80's and has never seen such good bass fishing in all his years of fishing South County.

Just ask Ron (Paxton). Managed to twist his arm away from the Cape. Hope he is here fishing today. Big girls are showing in the wash!

Phil
Old 10-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Phil- check PM
Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 AM
resigned

Got it. Fish were still here Saturday morning if you were in the right place at first light. Surf was a problem.

Phil
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
_

I got skunked Mon and Tue

I was down there this Monday and Tuesday (well, until 9:00 a.m. or so) but didn't catch any fish. I gave up early on Tuesday because of the miserable weather. At least it was beautiful on Monday, although the surf was still a little high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster 898a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	6849  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.