Newbie to Atlantic Salmon - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM

Newbie to Atlantic Salmon

I started fly fishing over 30 years ago but I have never been Atlantic Salmon fishing. So....... What are two books on the subject that some of you would recommend and if money was no object, what would be the stream you would fish, and-if money was no object, what would be your choice for a rod and reel; and...are any streams in Maine worthwhile or a waste of time? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nova Scotia right now, Gaspe next summer. Money no object - Russia. Pete Vicar had amazing numbers in Iceland this year. Maine will need a little time to recover IMHO.

I like the Bates Book as well as many others. Lee Wulff has an interesting angle but I am a Spey guy.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 PM

By Spey- do you mean a long 10' rod with an extended butt behind the reel? Does casting such a rod get tiring? I have been watching some online videos of Atlantic Salmon fishing and it seems such would be an advantage however in some older literature, such as a book on Ted Williams, it looks like he is using a 8 1/2' rod and a medalist reel and yet he has a 14 lb and 20 lb salmon he landed.

so..... what about a 9' 8 wt "regular" rod, by that I mean where the reel is at the butt end,(like a trout rod) nothing to put against the stomach, and a modest reel, say a Cortland Crown ($50). Now I know anything is possible but would such a rod/reel be doable or really not up to the task on say a 14-20 fish? The biggest fish I have caught on fly tackle is trout 1 1/2 pounds and 2 1/2 pound bass.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Nova Scotia right now, Gaspe next summer. Money no object - Russia. Pete Vicar had amazing numbers in Iceland this year. Maine will need a little time to recover IMHO.

I like the Bates Book as well as many others. Lee Wulff has an interesting angle but I am a Spey guy.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

I too like ATLANTIC SALMON FLIES AND FISHING by Joseph D. Bates. You can pick one up on Amazon for less than $10. If you like to tie flies -- even if you don't -- take a look at HAIRWING ATLANTIC SALMON FLIES by Keith Fulsher & Charles Krom. I say "take a look" because this book will cost you a pretty penny.

As far as where to fish, if you can spend $30,000 for one week then Russia is the ticket. Iceland is very expensive and the fish are smaller and less abundant than in Russia, so, even though I cannot speak from experience on either place, I would opt for Russia.

If you want to have a good chance at catching fish, have a great time on naturally exotic water, then the Gaspe' is the ticket. If you want to have a better chance to catch fish, but in more bucolic surroundings, then the Miramichi in New Brunswick in July is the the place to go. I fish a spot where, on a bad day, you will be fishing over 500 fish -- no guarantee you will hook them, but they will be there. In four days last July, three of us caught over 20 fish up to 18 pounds.

An 8-weight single hander is all you need, unless you go to Russia. I have been fishing a Winston BIIx 1107 most of the time for the last four seasons. I just tried the 11.5-ft BIIMx 6/7 and think that will be a killer rod for either the Miramichi or the Gaspe'. I am going up to NB this Friday for a few days and plan to use the BIIx as well as a Loop Blueline 11.5-ft 7-wt. I have longer, heavier two-handed rods, but the lighter two-handers are sufficient for NB salmon.

PM me if you want more info. I might not have time to respond until I get back.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well Charles, it seems you've dropped the double hander

I was just out west thinking the exact opposite... single hander is such a restrictive toy in those big tree-lined canyon rivers.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.