kayak launch site - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 AM

kayak launch site

I'll be on the cape for the first two weeks of Oct. I was wondering where I could park and launch a kayak to access Monomoy? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 AM

The best spot is at the north end of the Morris Island causeway.
It's just a short carry to the east over to Outermost Harbor
Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

An alternative location would be Stage Harbor, or a mile or so to the east right on Hardings Beach (since it's October).

I would pay attention to wind direction and currents if opting for Stage / Hardings but the attraction there for me is that October typically has a slug of adult bunker hanging around in that vicinity and it may not be necessary to paddle all the way to Monomoy. Stage / Hardings area is sometimes a scene of the years largest inshore fish surging waves of schoolie-sized bunker and if you can paddle past that you are a better man than I.

The best action up on the flats I've had in fall is when the pea bunker get on the flats, striper blitzes occur in water so shallow their backs are out like sharks and it seems the entire flat is moving there is so much going on. Mostly schoolies with some real bass mixed in, the 40plus fish are over on the adult bunker and I understand the pea bunker are largely a no-show this year (?)

Once the fall storms get the migration rolling the whole shoreline (from Red River / Wychmere or so west) can look like a highway for fast-moving fish with busting and birds as far as the eye can see.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM

re pea bunker.....went to Morris Island/Hardings twice in the last 10 days....saw some very small pods of bunker on occassion, but they were in the 4 to 6 inch category. As to where the 10s of thousands of micro bunker are is a mystery.
Saturday Garry and I fished Morris on the incoming and Hardings on the outgoing....we created a significant amount of froth casting for 6 hrs and had one fish to show for it. Saw 4 other FF's and a 1/2 dozen spin/bait chunkers....nada!!! Dead, dead, dead....we came to the conclusion that the lone fish caught suffered from mad cow desease and was cut from the herd. That may have been the only fish within 4 miles on Sunday from our observations.

Personnaly it makes me wonder aloud as to why there have been no news articles or marine biologist reports concerning this season. It has been unusual to say the least:
The below based admittedly on very few fishing trips, thus only my observations:
- squid in spring never came near the shore and or estuaries as usual
- no massive migration near shore all yr...where were the thousands of micros/scouts/schoolies?
- although I haven't gone often...I never saw a silverside this yr
- blue fish never mounted thier 1/2 mile long train of bumber to bumber migrating fish
- now the pea bunker are missing and what there is, are 4 to 6 inches long
- also heard that clams are not on the flats in the Chatham area
- shore fishing off from Conn to Maine
- reportedly commercial fishermen have yet to hit their quota????????
Wa-happened????
Ron
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Sounds like I should stick with the freshwater ponds until I hear better news from the shorelines.
Flydoc
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I hope some fish show up for the fall run. Fished the mouth of the Piscataqua sunday in the rain. Slow fishing but my friend popped his leader on a larger fish. We did see a boat land a couple fish in mid thirties. They were live lining bait within casting distance of shore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.