flyfishing/mountainbiking combo trip! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM

flyfishing/mountainbiking combo trip!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend and I decided to flyfish a section of the Grand River (Michigan) today which runs along the Burchfield mtb trail. It was a little far to walk so we decided to ride our mtb bikes. He has never ridden on a "real" mtb trail and so I didn't know if he would like it or not. It was a perfect evening as we stuffed our waders into rucksacks and headed out with our rod tubes in hand. He has never been out to burchfield with his bike and really enjoyed the short ride to the destination. The river being as low as it is right now allowed us some accessibility and we were into fish almost immediately. We ended up catching fish for the next two hours...all Smallmouth bass, (in the 14 to 17" range) and had a blast! the fish all hit like freight trains with no need to set any hook, and the ariel acrobatics were amazing!! The smallies in this stretch of the Grand are very strong, clean fish with nice, dark markings. They happily allowed me to unhook them so I could return them to their pre winter feeding. Occasionally a canoeist would paddle by and we would say our hello's. Just a great way to spend a late summer evening in Michigan!
The time went very quickly and before we knew it we had to leave as the Sherriff comes around at dusk and locks the gate to the park, and if you get stuck with your car in there after dark you're not getting it out til the next morning. We'd spent a little too much time in the river and didn't bother changing out of our waders, but just got on our bikes and high tailed it out to the lot just in time for the gate closing.
It was really one of the best times I've had this summer, doing two of my favorite things in the world. Afterwards we went to my house and had some brews and watched MSU get beat by Cal . A great end to a great time, and it didn't cost a penny, or eat up the entire day! I had been riding my bike for several years through this park and have often wondered why I never saw anyone fishing these stretches of the Grand River, when it looked like such beautiful water.
I'm heading back tomorrow morning as there were several other sweet little runs I didn't have time to hit, and will also be getting in a ride... tight lines to all of you as the summer bass season comes to an end and we get ready for Salmonid Night Fever!!
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.