HAVE THE GAMES BEGUN? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
HAVE THE GAMES BEGUN?

I kinow this is the dog days of summer and there hasn't been a lot of posts touting the fishery out and about. If you're like me, you realize we are turning the corner. Funny6 fish are starting to be caught in numbers around the islands, and with the warm water temps in Nantucket Sounds, it shouldn't be long before we see them on the southside of the cape. The pre-dawn and night bite for bass is de rigeur right now, but that can change in a heartbeat once the peanuts emerge. Also, as the nights begin to cool after Labor Day, and water temps return to low 60s/hi 50s, the daytime inshore bite will return if the bait is there.

Fall can very well be the best time of the year to come tight on the fish of a lifetime. Once the migration begins it can be epic on the bayside, backside and southside. After Labor Day, I'll be posting what I know or don't know about fishin about the cape. I know there are a lot of serious fishermen on this board that will be in the game. Let's all share some intel with our fellow members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to capecodkid
I'll be out everyday looking on the southside for bones/albies. Will report findings here.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM

I didn't get a chance to fish this week until today but I finally got down to Monomoy Point and the nearby rips this morning for a couple of hours. I was looking for stripers but had to settle for a few bluefish.

I saw no signs of peanut bunker or surface action on the west side of South Monomoy and only a few birds working small schools of feeding bluefish out on the rips.

According to reports from other fishermen in my marina there has been some
action on stripers but that has slowed down over the last few days .

No signs of Bonita. Guess it's still too early at least at Monomoy.

Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hope to be scouting soon, if I do I will post an "end of summer dog days / start of fall madness" report for sure.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 PM

I may try and pop up for a long weekend in mid September. Keep me posted Jim.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 AM

Just saw a report, with picture, of a bonita caught trolling off of Monomoy Point yesterday.

Dan
Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Redfisher, thanks for the update(s) on bonita. I've yet to hookup on one, but this may be the year.

Dave, keep an eye on this section for the latest updates on cape action. Let me know if you can make it. Mid-Sept should be ideal.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Fly chucker

Things along the reefs of Long Island Sound have been looking like October for a few weeks now, minus the albacore. I saw bonito for the first time last weekend, and the stripers and blues have been on peanut bunker and butterfish on the rips at all hours, as long as the tide is moving.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We fished to acres of bass of all sizes from dinks to whales in a couple feet of water in mid-day sun yesterday on a difficult to reach section of the bayside flats. Jim Shaunessy (President of sponsor Beulah Fly Rods) and I were on Eddie's skiff with our jaws hitting the deck so hard it spooked the fish. But no problem, another pod was right behind it. The fishing was epic, but not in the usual locations and behaviors. I have some theories on why, but they remain to be proven so I'll just chronicle the event my log and observe through subsequent seasons. Bait was primarily sand eels, silversides with some yoy herring - we saw no pea bunker.

Reports I heard from a Vineyard guide last night indicate that bonito have been steady but albies are showing which typically marks the switch from one species to the other. Most years they move toward the elbow when pushed forward until they turn around which coincides with the bonito report off the rip. Stay tuned for some HD video footage on the Beulah website from the day.

Also if you haven't already heard the tuna are in close proximity as close as 17 miles on the ocean side off Chatham as well as in the bay. Blues are all over the sound.

I overhead some reports of big bass on Cape Ann now, with Boston Harbor quiet which probably means the harbor biomass is north. We'll have to wait to see how this plays with the Singing Beach blitzes this fall.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
President of CAC

Juro gave me a verbal about his report so that sight was very encouraging. I will go off shore on Wednesday and according to the reports as Juro points out the tuna appear closer to shore...maybe scaring isolated pods of stripers in closer.

Last edited by striblue; 08-24-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
6th Year Apprentice

so it begins . . .

birds were blitzing opposite the courthouse in the haba from 8.45 onwards this morning.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM

The Bonito bite has been something of a dud so far this year although trollers are picking them up in the VS rips and I have heard of a 'few' caught on flies. There are some Albies moving in but so far it seems we will not be having a bumper year like we did in 2007. There has been a mysterious lack of peanut bunker so far which probably has a lot to do with it.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM

A "few" albies are starting to show up in the Monomoy rips. A friend hooked (and lost ) a couple yesterday and today I had one on for a couple of runs but the hook pulled. Had a couple of other hits which could have been albies. All hits came while casting to the leading edge of a rip with a 7/8 oz silver popper which I was using to try and locate some fish. Except for the three strikes which occurred within a 15 minute period, the area was totally dead. There were no visible signs of feeding fish or even bird activity.

On the run down to the rips from Outermost Harbor and back there were no signs of feeding fish or even working birds. The last few years the west side of South Monomoy was always alive with bluefish action any time any day. But this year there seem to be very few blues or bass around, either on the west side of Monomoy or the rips. The fall run has been disapointing so far.

No sign of albies around Harding's Beach yet either.

Dan
Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
On the Water, in today's Boston Herald, is reporting confirmed albies in the west end of the ditch...

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
obsessive/compulsive

The bass bite is starting to pickup on both the southside and the bay. Bait has arrived in both areas. Big tides next week should flush YOY out of the estuaries. Water temp is still a bit high, 69-70 on both sides of the Cape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.