Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skunked in ME

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gseries69 
#1 ·
Headed up for a family get together and ended up fishing two mornings up in Wells. Both days - no birds working, no bait and only saw a few splashes (appeared to possibly be some schoolies). Eveyone I talked to indicated the blues had been in about a week and a half ago. The word was the area was loaded with bait before those toothy critters came chomping things up.

Any one out there had any luck in the Wells/Ogunguit area recently?

#2 ·
The fishing has just recently been picking up in southern Maine. Most folks are getting decent catches but it's still hit or miss. There have been some consistent reports coming from Kennebunk to Pine Point. I'm going to give it a shot next weekend and will report back.

#3 ·
Fliboy,

Like gseries said, it's starting to pick up a bit, but it's still very spotty. I live up here and fish every day, and this year I consider any trip where I don't get skunked a success. Bait is starting to stage in the estuaries, so I'd concentrate there.

Blues have been in and out - Wells harbor mouth was fishing well late last week, but this cold snap has cooled the water and it seems like they've gotten scarce.

gseries - you bringing the yak with you? drop me a line when you get into town.

-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.