Disturbing sight - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Disturbing sight

Last week I was on the Cape and happened to be near a place that bought fish. I saw a truck with 4 people in it and they unloaded 9 stripers to be sold. The smallest was in the mid-30s and at least 2 were easily over 40 inches. Not 10 minutes later someone else drove up and unloaded 6 stripers in the same size range. At first I didn't think too much about it but, then it struck me that these fish would all be breeders. That's what bothered me, that these mature fish were caught and sold just for the money. That's 15 breeders sold off in a 10 minute span. Who knows how many more that day, how many for the week....I know that some states still allow gill netting and they kill more but.....

Is it just me or does anyone else see something wrong with this?

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Middle Aged Member

I think I'm more disturbed by the low number of fish dropped off.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Garry- as sad as that is, it's legal until commercial fishing for stripers/commercial selling of stripers caught by recreational anglers is made illegal by changes to the current regulations/laws and/or the introduction of slot limits to mandate release of the larger breeder fish.
Flydoc
Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Unfortunately banning commercial fishing for stripers will do little to help how many fish are harvested. There is a lot of debate about the effectiveness of slot fish as well. One of the major issues is that the ASMFC manages striped bass under a method called maximum sustainable yield (MSY). Basically what it means is that they don't care who takes the stripers and will allow as many to be taken so long as the striper population simply remains above a ceretain level. Many argue that the level is simply too low. According to the ASMFC the current populations are just fine, however, recreational anglers up north in Maine, as I'm sure we've all heard, believe the stripers are crashing again. At the heart of the issue in my opinion is that recreational anglers really don't have a voice at the table and since the ASMFC is a federal dept under the Department of Commerce, states have little say in the matter leaving us with very few if any options to impact how the fishery is managed.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
I think I'm more disturbed by the low number of fish dropped off.

There have been low commercial numbers this year, but it seems that things are starting to pickup to your west slightly offshore. Get ready for big mama this weekend, Fred. The only thing that disturbed my commercial friends this year is that even with the low numbers on some days they were only paying $3 per lb.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
LBFF Mojo

and recreational fisherman keep something like 3/4 of all breeder size fish caught and killed. it aint only a commercial problem, they have much less impact on the resource than us recs do.

We need to give as well and in this case much more. Fishing has been steady all season in RI but I have a bad feeling that things are going downhill...

-sean
Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Sean is correct. I get a queasy feeling every time I think about this year versus years past. I know its a big ocean, but this year the quantity is not there on the cape. Quality is definitely there, but the days of schoolies in abundance in my areas are not there. Year class stripers 2002 & 2006 were below average and portend some lean times in the future. It is beyond me why we continue to have a daily limit of 2 >28 inches.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM

In June I fished with a fly guide that took me to the Handerchief Schoals in Nantucket Sound. Approx 15 fish in the 35" range - all brought in fast and released. Guide told me that in commercial season - I think for two weeks - the commercial fishermen will take about 3000 fish. That has to make a dent in the stock.
Herb
Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 AM

I agree with Sean the recs take a lot of large fish and the commerical guys take the rap for the declining fishery. I too am concerned that the smaller fish are not present in the numbers we're used to. I think the fishery is in trouble.
So, in my opinion the solution is the habitat and forage fish populations that must be healthy for the fishery to survive.
FishHawk
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
President of CAC

This has happenned before.. around 15, maybe 20 years ago, I can not remember exactly, atleast around the Cape.... You cound not find a striper on the south side...the night fishermen off Nauset would do well, but I don't think in large numbers... I remember the talk amoung the fishermen. All you would catch were blue fish, which was fine too, but I do remember while the kids were little and I would stake some rods off Hardings and catch blues and would cast flies to them too. I remember catching a schoolie striper and had to give it a second look to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing. The only striper I caught that year amoung countless blues.Then things, year by year, began to pick up. I hope we are not in a cycle of downs and corrections.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
I agree with Sean the recs take a lot of large fish and the commerical guys take the rap for the declining fishery. I too am concerned that the smaller fish are not present in the numbers we're used to. I think the fishery is in trouble.
So, in my opinion the solution is the habitat and forage fish populations that must be healthy for the fishery to survive.
FishHawk
I think the Commercials take the rap because they are a much smaller percentage of the overall fishing population but have a strong voice on the ASMFC. The current MSY levels may simply be too low to benefit recreational fishermen who enjoy using artificial lures and flies. A compromise would probably benefit all interested parties.

One other thing to note is that recreational fishermen aren't very organized and therefore have no voice.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Unfortunately I have not fished enough this year to form an opinion. In the Spring I got out a few times and there were plenty of fish over 3' and a ton of smalls too. There are more pogies around now but the big fish are not what I'd expect given the food supply. At least the big bait is making a comeback, I think that helps the stocks of both smalls and cows. I think when the larger baits are not present the cows are more likely to prey on the micros AKA mackerel with messed up stripes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.