North Monomoy fighting to stay alive - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM

North Monomoy fighting to stay alive

Had two gentlemen go over to NM today. I sent them around the North Tip to fish the NW flats leading over to the Morris Island Channel.
The did all right, got some fish 20-24 inches, said they saw a decent number of pods 12-15 small fish in each. They were fishing a falling tide, and said it was good the first two hours or so from 8-10:30, then it slowly began to die off.

Told me they walked back around to the west side to check out the situation after I filled them in on the down fall of the area. They told me it was a ghost town out there. Nothing going on at all and the conditions were not pretty.

Sounds like that NW flat may be NM fighting to keep her last breath going.

Pretty much the same reports from the guys fishing the Morris Island side of the channel this am (20-24"and some blues mixed in), before the boats started coming out of Stage Harbor.

Capt Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Anyone know anybody in the Air Force who might be able to "accidentally" drop a few precision-guided bombs to reopen the Southway???
Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thanks for the update cap't. If the flow between north and south has stopped, it appears to me that it is filling in and that will surely be the death knoll to the inside, and north and south will once again connect. What's more interesting is the lack of fish on the common flats. I guess the lack of any current probably explains the main reason.

The dredging of the Stage Harbor channel should fire things up this fall.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM
President of CAC

Things will get better.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:29 PM

Things will get Better?!!!

I know you have some good connections, but who do you know at Otis to get that air strike Flydoc was looking for?
Or have you been talking with Penguin about one more mission of Glory ?

I can see it now, you and Penguin the BASS Brothers on a "Mission From God" to save the Crib.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the mayor of Chatham should have enough pull to straighten things out?

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Flats Rat

We just need the right sort of "Perfect Storm".

Maybe this will be the year for the "Big One" in the North East?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 PM

The big one!!

Question would be where would the best possiblity be. The land bridge isn't going anywhere soon, with the natural migration of sand right into that area.

The washover at the old "J" buoy, maybe just to wide and flat on the inside to get a good dig into the flat to get a channel started. Every fall there seems to be a sandbar that developes just in the right spot to protect the north corner of south beach. The other question about the northend breaking is just how much havoc it would bring to the area. You could very well see the rocks at Morris island standing in the middle of the beach, just like the old sandbags years ago, after the water got in behind them and took away the bluff.

Our one hope, that no one talks much about is the washover at South Monomoy which is just south of plover camp on the north end. If that broke through, it would have a ton of flow from the east side to the west and would bring water to the channel between Minimoy and South Monomoy. That could possibly wear down the area of plover camp and dig a channel down between the hospital pond area and into the crib. That washover area is maybe couple hundred feet wide crossing from the west side to the east side. The refuge has a large blue beach/boat landing sign there, if anyone has the means to go out and check the area out for themselves. Once you walk up the dune on the westside, your basically walking down the dune on the eastside, it's that narrow. Actually some nice flats from that landing area walking north to the Minimoy channel. JimS and someother guys went out there a couple of times last year as a recon mission.

Capt Keith
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Adrian, I hope your wish comes true; albeit, without damage to the populace. The area Cap't Keith refers to is a potential washover because of its narrow breath without a sandbar on the east side. the structure north of it on the west side is classic. With a channel and increased flow, it would be a mecca for the us flats rats. Every year mother nature sends us a curve. Its time its in our direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.