Feast or famine - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2000, 09:28 AM
Aaron

Feast or famine

Lesson 4069 - never try to repeat a great day, at least not right away.

A friend and I fished South Cape Beach and Waquoit jetties last Friday. Oh, what a day! Some early beach action, then busting bass all day on the Washburn jetty, and the two of us constituted the fishing crowd! We even saw some bonito running through the jetty carnage, but for the most part we couldn't get through the bass. My friend hooked and broke off one tuna, otherwise all bass. They were feeding on the small menhaden that were trying to move from west to east across the channel. Every time the menhaden made a break for it the place erupted. It definitely had the feel of a fall blitz. And it's only August... but it's been a strange weather year so far, so why change now.

I worked over the weekend, so took the day off Monday for a repeat performance. No fish feeding along the beach early, no fish feeding along the jetties. There didn't seem to be nearly as much bait around. I headed to Chatham - plenty of bait on South Beach (both sides) but I couldn't find any feeding fish. Ended the day at Hardings - again, tons of bait but no fish. The other anglers I spoke to during the day reported the same.

Now, if I could only learn to think like a fish....

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.