Sharks and bonefish - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Sharks and bonefish

In summer I seem to loose more bonefish to lemon sharks (than in other seasons), and I finelly learned how to get a lemon shark to give it up. Jump on it! I can understand why folks might be apprehensive about this, as I was when first shown how, but lemons simply do not have the instinct to do anything other than flee when stepped on. They WILL NOT bite.
So next time you can get close enough to a lemon bird-dogging your hooked fish, run up to it and jump on it, and he's out of there, all thoughts of your bonefish forgotten.
It really works and is really not at all dangerous to the angler. However, make sure you're sure of that second dorsal, as I wouldn't advise jumping on the back of a bull shark, but those are much rarer on the bonefish flats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Nice try! Hopefully no one will try that.
if sharks are following your bone in the Bahamas, you have three options:

1. let the shark get the bone--not my preferred method.

2. loosen the drag so the bone outruns the shark, usually throwing the shark off and often working.

3. if the shark is fairly close to you, you can jump up and down or stomp your feet hard on the bottom--this usualy scares the shark away.

these do not always work--somethimes you have a shark that is super aggressive and will not give up--say goodbye to the bone.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM

Why not try what I suggest?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Josko -

When the reality show "Josko - the Shark Master" hits HD cable syndication I swear will not miss a single episode
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I would love to see that show! Would get a ton of hits on you tube.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Flats Rat

I actually tried that, once...I still have all my body parts but it was close. The Shark was bigger than I thought
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Sharkin'

While wading one time in Turks and Caicos... I stepped on a shark ... tail end.. the shark completely bent in half and bit my wading shoe .. didnt do any damage to me but I couldnt believe how that shark curled around... the guide couldn't stop laughing... I had a different take on it....!!

I have tried everything when they dog me on a bonefish flat... slapping the rod tip on the water...carrying small sized rocks with me to throw at them... most times they will run but some just have an attitude...and keep coming or stick around...

Not sure if I would jump on one Josko but I am willing to try anything...... ONCE !

You have more experience than I do...

stay well
Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Wow. You're crazy. That's right, I said it. I don't like sharks. Vince knows what a wuss I am. Bastards have teeth...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Frank,
I like you, at one time was not a big fan of sharks. My last trip to Abaco, it was wild. Wading, the buggers would approach, I remained still, at 1 to 2 feet, they shot away like bullet....perhaps I have a false sense of security now, but , I am a lot more comfortable now. As we tried to attract sharks to cast to, Marty splashed the water with his pole, and I with the tip of the rod. This peaked their interest and often would turn them toward the disturbance in the water. Now, with that said, jumpin on the shark may work, but I would not want to be in an area of murky water with an animal that responds to "splashing...fish in distress" signals.
my 5 cents (inflation, falling US Dollar and oil speculators )
Mark
The man fish fear the least................
Old 06-30-2008, 04:23 PM

on my first trip to grand bahama 4 years ago i had a large bone on the line and it was taking a long time getting it in. a few sharks began going after it. the guide threw conk shells at them to keep them away. finally one of the sharks made a b-line at full speed toward the bone. the guide, was about 30 or 40 feet from the point of intersection. without hesitation he ran head on at full speed at the on comming shark and jumped right on its head. i was freaked out. but josko's story and solution is accurate near as i can see.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM

gasp !

nmb.
wow what a story.... you must have flipped out wondering what the guide was doing...

Mark
I am with you...they are too fast in the water and if they want you..there is not much you can do! I don't target them anymore and I dont make a commotion when they are around.

Funny short story... I was on a Windjammer Cruise through the islands a long time ago. I brought my spinning outfit and had some tube lures for cuda. There were several Chicago cops on the trip and they were great fun. One of them was watching me cast way out from a beach to some sharks and I asked him if he would like to try it... he jumped at the chance because he had hardly ever fished before. I told him to cast way out and reel fast... he did and then two big sharks started following the lure and he freaked out and turned and ran off the flat but he still had the rod in hand and was still pulling the lure behind him and the sharks kept chasing after him !!! We all went hysterical watching the scene ! The poor guy gave up fishing for the rest of the trip.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
fish'n Hobo

I wanna see the video!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Flats Rat

Like a wise old Bahamian guide once said;

"yoo don wanna be hurtin' no shaaaaak mon cos one day he gonna com back an hurt you"
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
In moderation

I have been close to sharks on a number of occasions. I belong to the school of stay away.
When they get close a stamp of the foot usually works. In the Seychelles the guides have long poles with spikes on.
Having seen the scars on John Donnell's arm I am not going anywhere near sharks. if I can help it.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
resigned

Josko. It may not work every time so caution is necessary. Some sports may not even know the difference between a Bull and Lemon shark. Thanks for the advice though. I'll give it a try.

Just for Ha Ha's, do a Google on Gannet Man! He likes to jump on REALLY BIG stuff.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.