What's wrong with this picture? - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
_

Question What's wrong with this picture?

No, I'm not referring to the lack of posts . . . . This is about an actual picture.

Most of my fish photos are taken by me, when I'm alone. This means that most of my photos show a fish (or a blur or splash or swirl) at boatside during the waning moments of the battle, or some portion of the fish and my hand trying to hold the fish and the camera far enough apart to get a photo. This time I finally caught a decent fish when there was someone else there to get a photo of me with the fish. I even had the bogus-grip along for the assist. Still, I am somewhat disappointed with the photo. Any guesses as to why? Hint: it has nothing to do with the photographer or the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housy pike 071708c1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	6825  
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Looks good to me Q
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 AM

same here Q, looks good to me
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
President of CAC

Looks good to me too.... unless you are didn't like the angle with your back or side to the fish? or the fish more of a background... other than that possibility it looks good to me.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Fly chucker

It looks like you're holding the Boga Grip with your mouth?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Finni
If you are disappointed in how the fish's color turned out, it is a matter of angle towards the camera, in my opinion. If the fish had been turned to have its side at a more of a right angle to the camera, you would catch a lot more of the fish's dark back color as well as cut back on the reflection of the sky off the fish's scales. I can't tell if it was used, but cutting out the camera flash would help as well.

If others disagree, in my defense, I am no photographer, this is just one of my observations from my own photos.

Other than that, it is a fine photo. I like how you are in the photo, but since you back is to the camera, more of the focus is on the fish and lake around you, than on you.

Finni
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Photo Question

Holding the fish more horizontal and closer to the water plus showing the fly would strengthen the effect. Also, as previous post suggested, more of a 90* angle side to camera plane. Still a nice picture of a decent sized fish.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You were hoping for a bass.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
_

Good responses! OK, there are two things about the photo that bother me. Mark nailed one of them (gold star for Mark!), and a couple of you were on the right track about the other. I also like Juro's response about hoping for a bass .

I didn't even notice the bogus grip in the mouth (BTW, it's the Berkley version), but when I showed the photo to my girlfriend her first comment was, "What's that thing in your mouth??" Something I will definitely consider the next time I pose for a photo .

The other problem is something a little more basic: Don't hold the fish AWAY from the camera! Everyone knows that you can make a fish look bigger by holding it towards the camera. Well, the opposite thing happens when you hold the fish away from the camera. I was trying to keep the fish over the water and turned it the wrong way, so the photo doesn't really do it justice. I don't advocate thrusting the fish towards the camera, but if you're trying to show the size of the fish then you don't want to hold it away from the camera either.

Q
Old 07-30-2008, 04:31 AM

Aw c'mon Q lighten up some. Yes the classic "Grip & Grin" with the fish shoved right into the foreground is the quote/ unquote "proper way" to present your fish for a snapshot. I have been to the Barry Beck lecture too!
However, unconventional outside the lines thinking is what we need more of IMHO. There is just enough of you showing to present a scale. We can tell that that is a good sized fish without wondering. An Angler admiring his catch. My fist thought stands. Nice fish & great shot.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Whenever I look at a photo of a guy holding a fish, I look at the hand that's holding the fish to get a proper idea of the fish's size. Unless you have a really tiny left hand, that's a damn nice fish. Besides, it's a pike. I love pike on a fly. (Caught my first Musky on a fly a couple of weeks ago--if you like pike, you gotta go for Muskies sometime. What strong fish!)
Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
_

Thanks for the compliments in addition to the critique . I'm glad that the opportunity arose and the photo turned out as good as it did -- I just thought I'd point out a couple of things that could have been changed to improve the photo if I'd only considered them at the time.

FWIW, in case anyone is wondering, this fish was probably in the 33"+ range. I was just surprised that it looks more like 28" or so in the photo. The best part of the whole situation was that the fish slammed my black foam-head diver just as I was commenting to my friend that I hadn't caught any good fish on it yet . My last white foam diver head was destroyed this spring and I replaced it with a black foam head (my last one ) but hadn't had much success with it.

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.