Where are the Fish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 10:03 AM
President of CAC

Where are the Fish?

Looks like I am spending more time on the links lately. Where are ALL the fish besides small blues. I have been out multiple times with little to show for it. To begin with, where are the Tuna?...water too warm?. Only one caught last week, with an occasional large striper or Blue hitting the squid bars. Not able to cast the fly at all. Radio chatter is confirming this as well asdirect reports from other...no spotter planes or stick boats anywhere atleast 25 -30 miles out in the west. (BC or Sword). Probably have to go out further I suppose. Stripers are rare. Fished yesterday all around South Monomoy, at the rips and the shovel...then drifts up the west side all the way from the point to Stage harbor....occasional blue..one good 30 inch striper.... hit every spot at the outgoing..did not see any schools moving on the flats at all . Should have seen some from the bow.Could see mug in the water maybe 200 yards off the shore at the rip. Tons of Charter boats in around Hankerchief and the whole south area with an occasional hook up by jig and saw an ocasional fly guy. Radio chatter was dismal. The boats were trying hard but you could see them taking off... trying this rip and that rip.... Will go off shore on Monday again then take the Rip Ryder on Tuesday and just try the ocean side of South beach for the heck of it for a couple hours.... will not hit North Monomy for a while...unless I want small blues up by the North side opposite Morris. A nice walk on South beach would be nice anyway. Just got a nice Taylor Burner three wood though. Maybe offshore we will try some shark fishing inbetween tuna searches...just need some huge chum buckets. May have to cheat though if I use the fly rod.

Last edited by striblue; 07-27-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thanks for the update. What was the water temp on the shoals and rips? It appears from various sources that this is an unusually warm water season. Bonita have showed up around Nantucket, and should be in the sound shortly. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the albies will show in numbers later in August.

There was an interesting article yesterday in the Cape Cod Times about crepuscular activity that relates to more activity in the natural world at dawn and dusk this time of year. The article was primarily about birds, but discussed natural camouflaging of fish is diminished in low or quickly changing light conditions.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:48 PM

John....the situation is everywhere....I shared this info with Jim via pm yestarday....was in Maine yesterday and spoke with a avid boat striper guy...he said, no one (other than occassional singe fish) is getting anything from shore in NH and Maine...............he has been getting many cows off his boat up to 2 miles +off shore....he said that offshore he has never seen so many varieties and numbers of bait..."like clouds beneath the surface". He said that was the initial pattern this spring and has stayed that way...bait never moved in...."never saw spring squid not first migrate near the estuaries"
Let's hope that it is just a off year and not a trend.......
Ron
Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
.he has been getting many cows off his boat up to 2 miles +off shore....he said that offshore he has never seen so many varieties and numbers of bait..."like clouds beneath the surface". He said that was the initial pattern this spring and has stayed that way...bait never moved in...."never saw spring squid not first migrate near the estuaries"
Let's hope that it is just a off year and not a trend.......
Ron
I hope it is just an off year, I really don't want to have to buy a boat. I have enough other stuff that sucks up money like there is no tomorrow
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside sucks. Lot's of bait, no fish. Paddled up the creek yesterday at dawn, saw just two fish breaking against the peat banks. Sure pretty to look at though. Water temps don't seem outragous. Must be the closure of the Southway.

BTW. Belated happy birthday mayor.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

We got what we wished for-

but it back fired , we all hoped for big bait and we got tons of adult menhaden, unfortunetly they went of shore and took the big bass with them. Theres plenty of fish in federal waters ,hopefully they come back close to shore when the fall migration starts.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Water temps were great for the last 2 weekends but 2 different worlds off the Chatham backside (n of the rips). Last weekend loads of keeper bass on the surface feeding on krill with big (over 10#) bluefish mixed in. This past weekend we covered the same places and more, with only a handful of fish to show for it on Saturday. Got a fleeting shot at some bluefin which was cool. Yesterday totally dead out there did not see a single splash in 6 hours of fishing and pulled the plug early. Once the peanuts start pouring out hopefully we will get out of the doldrums and into some good surface feeds.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
no fish

I spent last week on the cape, fished the south side from falmouth to cotuit, and over to the vinyard. I only got 2-4 lb blues. was out 6 out of 7 days

Tom D
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM

North Monomoy

The final nail may be in the coffin at North Monomoy and the Crib. Reports of the water getting stagnant. Got to agree with the strong odor coming across the flats the other day coming in on the west side. Wind out of the SE coming across the flats was wiffing an almost septic like smell. Spoke to some local boaters the other day, that went out to the end of South Beach to spend the day and they had to leave after a half hour the stink was so bad. The kids working on the island have been complaining about it, the smell, in the camp.

Morris Island and Hardings beach have had some good size blues off and on, but that is all I have heard about in a few weeks. I've been sending guys to the bayside, but it sounds like that has slowed also.

Capt Keith
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM

Kieth,
I think you may be right about the final nail. On my last trip down, the Channel in the crib was essentially non existent and the flats were a brown color instead of the nice clean green they used to be. I made the comment that this will be a mud flat soon if some fresh water does not come in soon. Too bad, it was a great place to spend the day.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Makes me wonder if the feds would do something, as in a trench, if the wildlife was endangered due to the closing.....what's another billion dollars of deficit??? Now there is an 'ear mark" that i wouldn't object to.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.