7/25 Matane Update - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
7/25 Matane Update

Water is presently low, but still fine. Fishing is tough as usual. 8 fish were caught in the Metropole pool yesterday, and 5 again today so far. Most of the fish were grilse.

Word has it that there are still many fish between the bridges down in town. Word also has it that they may close the killing season on August 15 due to the poor run of big fish this year. To date approx 400 large salmon have entered the river, which is far below last year at this time. Usually they will close this river by mid August when this occurs. I am in great favor of this happening not only for the salmon, but it will leave this river to be fished only by those respecting the species for the sport.

Fished yesterday and pulled the wet from a fish yesterday after completing a swing in effort to make the next cast. Wouldn't you know it that "he" was the and wanted to let me know how stupid I was..... Of coarse he would not come back.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Sounds like September is shaping up to be a good month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Just got back from the Matane, having fished July 20 through 25. My buddy and I each caught and released a salmon, lost one, pricked 2 and raised a few others. We didn't fish the major rotation pools which were producing most of the salmon being caught. There weren't many salmon in the river when we got there, but during the last 3 days of our fishing, almost 300 were put over the dam. In our case it was, "you should have been here next week".

We met Howie and his wife and toured their chalet complex located right on the river just below Le Panier Pool----great place for a salmon fisherman with a very understanding wife.

We stayed at Les Camps Tamagodi which has undergone some major renovations since I was last there in 1992. Dennis Lord is the proprietor. He is a salmon fisherman and an excellent host. He will recommend pools for you to try and will tell you where he is fishing and what he is seeing. He has 2 young sons who are about as enthusiastic fishermen you will ever meet. The 15 year old has a small motorcycle which he uses to go from pool to pool searching for salmon to fish for. He has caught 3 so far and his younger brother has landed one.----what a nice fishing family!

Green Ghost, New York Pool is still there and holding salmon too. It now is pool 48 and named "Le Silice".

Earle Fletcher
Old 07-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Venture

Congrats Earle! Most guys coming for a week or so are going home fishless. You and your buddy did extremely well. It has only gotten worse since you left, even though more fish have come through. The Water is low and warm. Its been sunny and very hot. Rain seems never to come except for a 5 minute downpour. As for fishing, you are not missing anything. Great meeting you....
Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Howie,

It seems the situation has improved since couple days...With the rain yesterday and colder water, looks like they will pass over the 5 years average soon...but most are grilses. I agree with you that august 15 th is too late for ajustment in the management plan.

Heard York has a VERY GOOD mid season count...Salmon and grilses. In fact, they would be already at 200% of the spawning objective!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Venture

Yes Pierre,

About a week ago fish started coming in at a good rate. But still the salmon count is low as compared to grilse. Most fish being caught are also grilse.

Yesterday I caught 2, one being a good one a little over 2 kilo. Pulled me good on a green butt, and then wacked the ghost on the change. Still hoping they will close the kill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.