11' surf rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 AM

11' surf rods

It seems the surf rod/switch rod is really catching on. TFO has come out with an 11' two hander designed for overhead presentation. The rod was designed with the help Bob Meiser and Mike Kinney and the grain range is written right on the rod. This will be helpful for newbies like me. Then there is the CND model. I'm wondering if we could some how get all three rods to try at the clave. All are reasonably priced which is also great for a newbie who isn't ready to dump $800 on a rod. Does any one have any info on these three rods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Kenny Abrams has also started selling his "Stick" again over on his site.
Those are 10 1/2' I believe.... Three sizes rated in grain range, not line weight
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This outing was proposed by Beulah and sponsored by them so I want to make sure we get to sample their new line of surf two-handers thoroughly during this gathering. We'll be able to use their gear for the clinic as well which is a great convenience. It's quite a lot of work getting all the proper grain match-ups etc.

There is a barbeque included so it should be a good time!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM

10/4. I thought it was a site sponsored clave. I'm looking forward to trying the Beulah and the BBQ but especially learning from some site members. This will be my first 2hand purchase.

I noticed a few guitar players as well at the last BBQ. I'll bring mine down but will warn I'm about as good on the guitar as I am with a 2hander.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

I will make the trip to try these
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'll put up a sign-up sheet to get a headcount. I'll prepare a handout with some of the things we've learned over the years about the differences between single-hand and two-hand casting, which mostly boils down to fundamentals which are amplified with the two-hand power stroke. Once understood this amplification works to the advantage of the caster. The amplification can work both ways so it's key to understand them.

Should be fun and I also hear Scott from the Bears Den is going to show up. BTW he is also a guitar player as is Jim, Adrian et al - so get those chops together for the jam session.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley
Kenny Abrams has also started selling his "Stick" again over on his site.
Those are 10 1/2' I believe.... Three sizes rated in grain range, not line weight
True; Ken is selling fly rods but they are a entirely different rod than the stick. They have an action that might not be what everyone is used to, I had the opportunity to cast them, they are sweet casting rods , but if your into fast action doublehauling til your arm falls off rods you won't like em. He does offer them with 2 fighting butts 1 for single hand the other for 2hand switch casting, which they perform nicely with.

This post is not meant to advertise or sell just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.