First striper rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

First striper rod

I'm in the market for my first real saltwater rod. I live in Massachusetts, so I'll be using it primarily for stripers and blues. I'll fish from shore (beach/jetties) and from boats. What's a good choice for a first rod? I'm thinking something like the sage xi2 in 9 wt or 10 wt, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts. Is a two-hander worth considering or is it too specialized for an all-purpose saltwater rod?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Go with a high qual 9x9 first then consider others.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro of course is right. There is a plethora of high end rods out there with a variety of actions. Depending on your casting style, and experience, I'd suggest you try a variety of rods before pulling the trigger. If you are on the elbow of the cape at the end of August, I've got several rods that you can try to fit your style of casting. If you are in the market now, suggest you contact one of the forum's sponsors and cast different rods that compliment your casting style.

I'm a big fan of the Sage Xi2, but some of my buds that are great casters defer to the Winston and T&T rods. Tell me more about your experience flycasting and maybe we can hone in on more succinct recommendations.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks Juro and Jim

I've been flyfishing for about 15 years. My favorite rod is my 5 wt Sage XP. After that, it's probably my 13 ft T&T Spey rod. I also have a Sage RPL+ in 8 wt (don't really enjoy casting that all that much, but I've used it for freshwater bass and pike and an occasional striper for years) and a Sage Largemouth (which I just bought and I like, though it feels completely different from my XP)--plus a bunch of low- to medium-end Orvis 5 and 6 wts, which I use as back-up trout rods.

I cast a Winston Boron rod a couple of years ago and really liked the feel of that, too (I was choosing between that and the Sage XP--I went for the Sage because it had a bit more backbone for distance, but I keep thinking I'll get the Winston in a three weight sometime for more delicate presentations).

I guess I'm thinking that I'd like the XP-style for saltwater. I can cast that far and accurately even in pretty strong wind.

Thanks for all the advice

Rob
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Solofisher,
Since I am building my own now I do not use my factory built rods very much - if at all. I have a #10 Sage XP 9' 4pc., which is in very good condition. I haven't used this rod in some time. If you are interested for $300 + actual shipping cost I would part with it. If you want pics send your email address.
I also have a Sage TCR (saltwater) #6.
Herb hladen@hotmail.com
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Hi Herb, and thanks for the offer. I spent some time casting rods today and am trying to figure out which I like best. I thought I'd go with a Sage initially, but I was surprised to discover how much I liked the Loomis CC in 10 wt and now I'm leaning more toward that. I suspect that's what I'll get, but if I change my mind, I'll drop you a note.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 PM

solo--,
No problem. If the CC is the GLX model, try an 11wt line. I would also try the #9 rod. BTW, the Loomis CC (especially the GLX) and the XP are at the opposite end of the spectrum re action.
Herb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.