Tuna Fly Swap? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
President of CAC

Question Tuna Fly Swap?

For years now we have always had a fly swap working at one time or another and things have slowed down. I have not even tied for a while except for the ones I need and have not experimented as I used to do.... Josko asked a while back about posting volumn and the like. One thing that can to my mind was the lack of swaps. We seemed to have swaps for all kinds of fish in the past and a search would see we covered a lot of ground. I was thinking that one area that was not covered in any detail was to start a Tuna fly swap. (Maybe it has already been done - I don't remember nor have I searched) I am going out tomorrow and I use a standby that the guys at First Light use....I would think that the different hooks that you guys use will also be a significant interest. So, this thread is just a query to see if there is any interest. I would be happy to be the mail point and would post the pics and recipies if guys want. Naturally, if someone else would like to run this no problem here...any interest? Also, I can move this to the Blue water forum or fly tying forum...whatever works or the Worldwide discusion Forum...any thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
fish'n Hobo

Set it up John...... I'm in!
Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
John, good thinking. Its been some time since we had a slatwater fly swap, and BFT flies are certainly appropriate as we speak. Count me in, and if you need assistance beta testing new patterns, I'm your man!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
President of CAC

Ok Guys...but I think we will need more participants..if we don't get more...no big deal...this maybe more of a winter activity anyway. ...we will wait a little longer.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Tuna fly swap

I'm good to go.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:46 AM

I am not real sure what constitutes a Tuna fly, but if someone would give me some ideas I would be willing to give it a go.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM

fly swap

count me in also
Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Warren, tuna flies cover the sprectrum from peanut bunker to sea herring. In fact, for the giants, livelining bluefish is common; albeit, not a fly. The major distinction from other flies for tuna, is the type of hook required. Two-X strong and higher hooks are necessary. They must be sticky sharp and have a wide gap. Also, hook sizes from 2X up to 6X are pretty standard. A hook meeting this criteria is the Tiemco 600SP.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Jim,

Thanks, that is just the info I was looking for. I have a fly that fits that criteria that I tie. and 4/0 Tiemco 600sp's just happen to be in stock and abundant around these parts
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Jonesin...

Warren,

Jim brings up some good points and I agree that the Tiemco 600SPs are a great hook. I have landed fish up to 125lbs on a 1/0 version so don't feel you have to supersize the hook. Choose the best size to match the fly you are tying and go from there. Another great hook is the new SC17 from Gamakatsu. It has a much smaller profile for a given rating so there the 3/0 is the smallest I have used. For the little 30lb fish or so you can even downsize to a SC152H in as small as 1 when they get on the tiny bait. As for flies you defintely want to match the hatch but personally I try to keep my flies simple and as foul proof as possible. Generally you are throwing heavy grain/high speed lines and constantly changing direction mid cast to get the fly in front of the fish. I love the mushies for this reason as the angel hair moves in the tail section but the stiff back prevents it from wrapping the shank. I alse use spreaders or some other type of stiffner on most of my other tuna patterns for the same purpose and leave as much of the stiff base of the hackle in place when using feathers.

Great idea for a swap and I would be interested this winter but no time for me in the summer.

Sean
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Fly chucker

I would also be interested in a tuna swap, but like Sean I'd prefer it in the winter. If you don't get enough participants and delay until the off season, count me in.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM

VTLoon,

I think you, Jim D and I should have a tuna fly tying session one of these evenings complete with cold libations for the tuna gods to boost the Vermont effort.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
President of CAC

Yes, I think this wouuld be better as a winter project so I will reinstitute it in say, December or January.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
obsessive/compulsive

John, whew, I was wondering how I would have the time to do a tuna swap this summer. I've got a big "honey do list" that has to be done before i return to the Cape in September.

If there is one guy to listen to about tuna flies, it is Sean McDermott. He has refined the art.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by striblue
Yes, I think this wouuld be better as a winter project so I will reinstitute it in say, December or January.
Great! I'll keep tuned for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.