Bayside Vacation Fishing II - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside Vacation Fishing II

Last week was tough. Had an old family friend down over the weekend and the only thing I could muster for him were a few shots at sckoolies in the river. I feel really bad as he's been coming down a few years and the fishing always s#cks. At 84 he's still spry but there was a noticble decline in stamina this year.

Took Monday off and went home to mow the lawn. This morning I made a B-line for a trough that sets up nicely on the flood right about this time of year. As I approached there was a dimple on the water ten feet out. One cast one fish. Bumps and missed hooksets on every cast. Caught half a dozen 20 somethings and finished it off with a 15#er on steroids. Hung it up after 45 minutes and slowly made my way back while taking in the ambience.

Nice to see hungry fish again.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Ahhh the Fredville FLOOD...

There's always such a proper sense of "urgency"...
Cool water filling in the troughs and driving the humanoids back to the beach...
'Stripes just lookin' for an all-U-can-eat buffet...
It's a WONDERFUL thing!

Waytogo Fred!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Sandeels and breaking fish.

Up at my neck of the woods (or shore),fish were busting on sandeels all morning ,all just to far out even for the 2 hander, as the tide began to flood the action moved closer and the hook ups got more frequent. Most were 15" to maybe 22",but then there was the take we all wait for ,as the seam began to build inside; the take was on the end of the swing, 120 ft of Rio Windcutter followed by about 100 yds of backing gone in an instant, a good 10- 12 minutes later all 41 " and at least 20 lbs probably more was beached. Amen
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Middle Aged Member

Lots of dead sandeels on the sand on the way out. Suspect There may have been some mayham about 2 or 3 this morning on the drop.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC54

the take was on the end of the swing, 120 ft of Rio Windcutter followed by about 100 yds of backing gone in an instant, a good 10- 12 minutes later all 41 " and at least 20 lbs probably more was beached. Amen

great fish. I PM'd you back this morning btw.

Fred, that carnage has been going on since the weekend - another site has the night pics of millions upon millions of eels lit up.

the angler concerned couldn't hook up though

looking at the pics, they seemed bigger than the 1 1/2 -2" eels i've been seeing on the southside though.

Mark.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Take Aways from this post...

It isn't coincidental that both FredA and Pec54 are banging big fish on a regular basis. They both are fishing areas that they know intimately on a specific tide at exact locales will hold big fish. It is not an exact science, but the odds are in their favor that they will hookup with good fish.

I've fished with both of them, and know they are observant, tend to match the hatch, make the right presentation, and if the big girls are not there, move on.

this year, I've fished the bayside more than ever as a result of the closure of the southway on S. Beach. It's taken me a lot of hours at a specific location fishing both the outgoing and incoming to determine the ideal time to key on big fish.

The takeaway is to do your homework on where there are big fish, identify the prey, preferred habitat, and the right tides to get them to eat. There's more to it than that, but that gets you pointed in the right direction.

It aint happenstance, right Fred and Paul?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 AM

Jim you hit the nail on the head. You can't beat local knowledge. When I get the chance to buy the CAC Annex then I'll be in that same boat.
It's difficult when you only get one or two days a week to fish an area. A lot is riding on those days. Makes the skunk even more stinky/
FishHawk
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Vtloon & CSJ60 on bayside...

Todd's biggest striper on the fly this year, 32 inches. It was a tag-team effort, CSJ60s sightfishing ability and Todd's correct flyt presentation. Incidentally, he was using a jiggy, which got it right on the bottom in front of the fish. Mixing it up this time of year is a good thing.Click image for larger version

Name:	bahamas,weipa, cape cod 079 (Small).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6816

Click image for larger version

Name:	bahamas,weipa, cape cod 081 (Small).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	6817
Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Middle Aged Member

Did due deligence Wed am and posted up at the same spot. Past years (some) it's been repeatiblen, not this year. I really got itchy to prospect but didn't abandon my postand avoided deep wading. So much for research, back to hunting...but.

Back at the truck the phantom was waiting and wired. He had a stellar morning on fish grazing on dead sandeels left high and dry by the extreme tides. Told me the routine and I had a look this am. What a differnce a day makes. Could be the industrial strength rakers cleaned things up on the late afternoon tide. Watched an osprey swoop and grab an 8 to 10" baitfish. Cool, it's all good, even when the catching s#cks.

On the outside the Brewsterflats water was black with suspended matter from dredging of the harbor to the west and deposited on the adjacent beach by the giant ca-ca sucker. Same thing last year but later in the season. Don't know what the impact on the fishing is but sightfishing is probably impaired.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Fred- read the article in the CC Times about the dredging- sounds like a big, smelly mess- lots of complaints on the effects on beachgoers and summer rentals- the timing and ultimate disposition of the dredged material relating more to town and federal finances than anything else (short federal funds reducing the availability of the better federal rigs for dredging of smaller harbors like Sesuit, with the cheaper county dredger available only on certain dates and unable to carry the foul muck out into deeper water away from the shoreline). Guess it's the kettle ponds for me until after my boards exam on the 26th.
Flydoc

P.S. Final score- BoSox 7, Evil Empire zip

Last edited by flydoc; 07-03-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Local Boob

I saw that article...and I'm a resident of Dennis.

Ticks me off all the retards and bitches complaining about it. Especially that they want to re-examine the environmental impact of spawning baitfish...there is a strong run of herring through Sesuit.

So the waters get dark for a few days...big deal they also become nutrient rich.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

As I understand it the herring do not arrive until the surface temps reach a certain level, which is long after the winter storms end and likely constitutes several weeks of opportunity in the pre-season, pre-spawn window. I doubt the herring migration would be deterred by dredging and could possibly benefit from the added scent and flow despite a temporary setback from a daytime obstacle even if timing did lapse (which doesn't seem necessary). Salmon and other anadromous species respond excitedly to natural effluent from their natal streams. A biologist might be able to answer that question.

As a side note I've talked to dredge operators about the way fish respond to dredging. That fishing rod on the transom is there for a reason! Stripers go absolutely apeshit behind a working dredger in fact my first thought was how many bass got attracted to the harbor mouth as a result of this, or whether the dead eels lately have been carried over by the eastward longshore current in that area.

When I was in my teens Scargo was chock full of herring and the trout population (albeit over-stocked) was incredible as a result of year-round cool water depths and the protein injection from the inch-long fry. The large holdovers were very aggressive on streamers back then I even caught some nice trout on striper deceivers there. I haven't fished Scargo in years but I am sure the attention given to the culvert in the creek lately is key for the health of that herring run.

Native searun brookies also had a notable presence in bayside streams from Sandwich 'up' back in the day, in fact they are still around in Stony Brook and smaller salter streams today. I'd be surprised if they are not in the Sesuit / Scargo system, they must be.

On a related note the recent culvert conversion at Bass River at the rotary entrance to West Dennis Beach has completely rejuvenated that upper estuary and the bright schoolies were well up past the road at the spring clave in May.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Middle Aged Member

Waters were clear today. Got a good recipe for grilled striper.

The new culvert on Bridge street should rejuvenate the scargo herring run. One consequence is the boat basin is filling up with silt from upstream.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My favorite recipe for grilled striper:

Chef Prudhome's new Salmon Seasoning, or the seafood seasoning. You can also use redfish magic but it has some heat so I use that on fresh bluefish in fact remember the boneclave where no one could believe it was bluefish? Chef Paul is my hero.

Side note: Borsari (Whole Foods) ginger/garlic rub is amazing on grilled scallops but it tends to dry out flaky fish. Skewer and grill alongside the striper for an appetizer.

Striper: coat the filet with extra light olive oil (the light golden not green) and sprinkle the "Salmon Seasoning" generously on both sides, apply as a 'rub'.

Cook the fish in a grill basket (hinged wire basket with handle) to a nice toasted/seared brown, don't allow spices to blacken except for the grill marks. Fresh striper sweats some white juices when it's getting done.

If a very thick filet I prefer to re-filet it to get the height down to an inch or so which puts the right amount of meat between the seasoned sides for my taste. It also makes the cooking time shorter and is easier to predict than a full shoulder chunk unless you like a "hotel cut".

Striper makes good kabobs too especially if you have the above mentioned grilling basket. Use the curve of an onion segment on one end of the fish chunk and a zuchini or summer squash chunk on the other end if you don't. The easiest marinade for the veggies is a cheap italian dressing, and the same seasonings above are great to dress the striper chunks.

It's 5:32p and can anyone tell I AM HUNGRY???
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Flats Rat

That sounds delicious. Worth copying to the Fitness and Favorite recipies board!

As we're on the subject of food, last nights Fishcamp dinner was one for the record books:

Appetizers:

- Monomoy Quohogs on the half shell (I still have all 10 fingers )
with Cocktail Sauce, Horseradish and a squeeze of lemon
- Monomoy Steamers with drawn butter
- Cape Cod Bay Bluefin Tuna Sashimi (Thanks Big Dave and Mark for putting in the hours and the gas!)

Main Course:

- Burgers from the grill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.