Looking for reel suggestions - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Looking for reel suggestions

Hello everyone,
I've had the chance to do a good amount of fishing out here in Colorado and I'm finding my 4 wt rods to be a little heavy for some of the really small water I've fished. I'm going to pick up a 2 wt rod for small mountain creeks and I need a reel to go with it. Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend under $100 and it doesn't matter to me if it's new or used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 AM

Okuma & Ross both make small trout reels for well under a hundred Scott. Check 'em out
Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
LBFF Mojo

Why not a classic old standby...the medalist. I use em on my trout rigs and love em. Simple and cheap.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Okuma & Ross both make small trout reels for well under a hundred Scott. Check 'em out
I can't find any reels from either of those manufacturers for under $100, or anything in a size 2 from Ross. `

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Why not a classic old standby...the medalist. I use em on my trout rigs and love em. Simple and cheap.

-sean
Hey Sean. I already have a medalist which is my standard reel on my freshwater bass rod. I've been using it for over 20 years now. They just don't make anything under a 4 wt.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM

try graphite

I think the only way (short of a Hardy Lightweight which is well above the budget) you'll get down to the weight you want is with a different material. Cortland and probably others have done some very feather-weight graphite reels. They're pretty economical; not much in the drag department, but who cares.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Scott,

I guess I better pay attention,I knew Okuma made a cheep reel, Didn't realize the size stopped at #4

Ross use to make a inexpensive reel. I think it was called the fly water or something. Hmmm. Seems it has been discontinued. Sorry about that Scott.

What is wrong with a Medalist 1492 or 1492 1/2 ?
These reels are perfect for light line fishing. at 2 3/16 Dia how much smaller a reel do you want?
I use 3 Inch reels for my light line rods for what ever that is worth.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Have you tried any of the on-line auction sites? The most popular one has hundreds of fly reels listed. There may be one you want.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Scott,

I guess I better pay attention,I knew Okuma made a cheep reel, Didn't realize the size stopped at #4

Ross use to make a inexpensive reel. I think it was called the fly water or something. Hmmm. Seems it has been discontinued. Sorry about that Scott.

I'm not sure where you got the information that the Ross Worldwide models were discontinued, but I can find nothing to confirm that. The Flywater, Flycast, and Flystart models all seem to be available. All are under $100.00. Like many reels in this price range there really is no 2 weight reel as such. There's no reason a reel designed to take a WF4F line can't be used unless you determine that the weight exceeds what you'd prefer. All three of the Ross models and several Okuma models have sizes designed for a WF4 line. The Ross models are all pushing 5oz though. I, personally, would not find that objectionable on most 2 weight rods, but perhaps others would feel differently---especially on a very short rod. Truth be told, most inexpensive rods also tend to carry a little extra weight compared to the high-end models, so I don't think you'd find the #1 model (that designation has nothing to do with the line weights it's designed to handle) Ross Flywater a problem at all.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtloon
I think the only way (short of a Hardy Lightweight which is well above the budget) you'll get down to the weight you want is with a different material. Cortland and probably others have done some very feather-weight graphite reels. They're pretty economical; not much in the drag department, but who cares.
I'm definitely considering graphite. I used a couple of $35 LL Bean graphite reels for years for all my trout fishing.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
What is wrong with a Medalist 1492 or 1492 1/2 ?
These reels are perfect for light line fishing. at 2 3/16 Dia how much smaller a reel do you want?
I use 3 Inch reels for my light line rods for what ever that is worth.
The problem with those reels is that they're pretty heavy. I'm fine with the size, but not the weight.

I just picked up the rod yesterday. It cost me $150 for an Orvis Superfine (technically an Ultrafine) 2 wt 2 piece 7'9 rod with sock and aluminum tube. The guy won it in a Trout Unlimited auction almost 20 years ago and has only used it a couple of times. The cork is barely stained at all and otherwise the rod is brand new. It weighs 1.5 oz I think.

I'd like to get a reel that's no more than 3.5 oz since the rod is so light. I'm also considering throwing that weight requirement out the window and buying an antique reel like this one:

Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
I'm not sure where you got the information that the Ross Worldwide models were discontinued, but I can find nothing to confirm that. The Flywater, Flycast, and Flystart models all seem to be available. All are under $100.00. Like many reels in this price range there really is no 2 weight reel as such. There's no reason a reel designed to take a WF4F line can't be used unless you determine that the weight exceeds what you'd prefer. All three of the Ross models and several Okuma models have sizes designed for a WF4 line. The Ross models are all pushing 5oz though. I, personally, would not find that objectionable on most 2 weight rods, but perhaps others would feel differently---especially on a very short rod. Truth be told, most inexpensive rods also tend to carry a little extra weight compared to the high-end models, so I don't think you'd find the #1 model (that designation has nothing to do with the line weights it's designed to handle) Ross Flywater a problem at all.
Yeah, that's a lot heavier than I really want, especially since this 2 wt rod is extremely light. I don't think 2 wts get much lighter than the Superfine series. Or much sweeter casting.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the information that the Ross Worldwide models were discontinued, but I can find nothing to confirm that. The Flywater, Flycast, and Flystart models all seem to be available. All are under $100.00.
I looked on the Ross Reels Website, and the above models were not listed. When I posted that I did not realize there were two Ross Reel divisions.
I did not know about Ross Worldwide.
This must be new as in the days of old everything was in one catalog. Now I see what you are talking about. & I was sure Ross made inexpensive reels & turns out I was right.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I looked on the Ross Reels Website, and the above models were not listed. When I posted that I did not realize there were two Ross Reel divisions.
I did not know about Ross Worldwide.
This must be new as in the days of old everything was in one catalog. Now I see what you are talking about. & I was sure Ross made inexpensive reels & turns out I was right.
I think Ross Worldwide is about three or four years old so it depends upon what your definition of "new" is.

I agree that a graphite, or composite, reel might be your best choice. The only problem with it from my viewpoint is that most of them are butt-ugly and that rod you picked up deserves better. For less than a C-note, though, that may be your only option.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I agree that a graphite, or composite, reel might be your best choice. The only problem with it from my viewpoint is that most of them are butt-ugly and that rod you picked up deserves better. For less than a C-note, though, that may be your only option.
I asked the seller of that reel I posted above to give me the weight and it's only 3.5 ounces. Throw a little backing on that to make the spool diameter bigger and that's a lot prettier than the graphite stuff out there today! What do you guys think? I might mill a custom filler for the spool in my wood shop out of something lightweight to fill it out instead..... Hmmm....
Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Scott,

I bought an Okuma two years ago which is part of my 3wt set up. I believe that it was advertised as good for 3 and 4wt rods. It's small enough to load with a 2 wt. line and it cost LESS than $100.

Millerbrown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.