Pittsburg NH - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 AM

Pittsburg NH

I just returned from a short trip up to New Hampshire's North Country. To put it kindly the fishing was dismal. The Connecticut River was swollen with rain runoff, making wading dangerous, thus fly fishing the river was out. And of course I left my spinning rod home, but I am not real sure if that would have helped. That essentially left the ponds & even they were higher than normal for June. I met up with Sean Juan & wife up there and spend a day fishing & touring in our Kayaks.
My wife somehow injured her back & we had to cut our trip short as she could not function at all.

I did manage to catch a few small brookies, so I suppose all was not lost. So far fishing this year for me has been crappy. Two trips to the Cape pretty much sucked. My local streams are low on water & hot in temperature. I wonder if golf would be less frustrating?

Millerbrown how is the Deerfield & Millers fishing? Maybe it is time to hook up with Highway 61 & come on over for a day
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I could use a trout day soon too. Any interest in camping so the evening and dawn shifts are at the doorstep?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 PM

That sounds like fun Juro. We could drink single malt & sing campfire tunes...The fish would turn belly up for us.

Seriously, a western mass river trip would be cool.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Warren......Millerbrown is the MAN to talk to about the the Miller. Until the recent rain, I was doing well on the Millers. I was regularly heading down there after work fishing from 6 - 8 catching Browns on the rise. I've been up to the Deerfiled 4 times this season fishing the upper catch and release section. I'm batting .500- 2 great days, 2 not so good. Maybe someone on the forum who fishes it more regularly can give a more accurate report. Was down at N.Monomoy with Paxton yesterday and the fishing was dismal. I caught 2 dinks early and that was it. The water was very warm and we saw hardly any bait. 3 hours into the risng tide I saw a few good sized ones but by that time it was time to call it a day.

If you have the time, I'd be interested in doing either the Deerfield or the Miller next weekend. Maybe we can get millerbrown to join us.....btw.....I am heading up to Lake Francis tomorrow with the wife. Your report is not encouraging...damn!

Steve
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM

Steve, I will be in Mass next Friday & Saturday visiting my folks in Williamstown, not much hope in fishing as I will be expected to stick around & visit. Besides if I want the mahogany dining room table they are giving me, I have to be a good boy....LOL

I think the Pittsburg trout ponds probably are fishing well, However with the river high I would guess they are getting a higher percentage of pressure than normal. So who knows what the real story is. I was not there long enough to find out for sure. Good luck & let us know how you make out. Are you fly fishing or trolling for lakers?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 PM

The Millers has been "hot" up to the recent rains which raised the water level from 300 to 1400cfs recently. It's dropping like a rock right now and should provide good fly fishing this weekend. Remember, it's a very early morning/evening fishing experience right now. Evenings can be awesome if you like casting to rising browns. I'll be there as I have been there for 20 seasons!! PM me if you want more detail.

Millerbrown
Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 AM

Warren try the Green River near Williamstown , not the popular one. There are some nice streams out there if you can sneak away. FishHawk
Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Fishhawk,

Used to fish the Green all the time when I was but a whippersnapper. It was big water to a 12 year old reachable by bike. You can even fish the Hoosac river now & not get open sores, but I would be real hesitant to eat anything out of it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM

When driving along rte 3 into Pittsburgh, I couldn't help notice the raging waters in the Connecticut. If any damn fool tried to wade that they would end up in the LI Sound. We arrived on friday afternoon just after a thunder storm. It blew over quickly, so my wife and I took the yaks out into Lake Francis during the early evening. The lake was as smooth as glass. We paddled into a cove over to a small feeder stream. The lake water was very still and all around us were rising brookies. Usng a light cahill I caught 10 brookies in the 8 - 10" range.

The next morning we took our yaks to Scott Bog. A beautiful spot! We saw grazing moose, gliding bald eagles, heard the call of loons, and not one fish...not even a brookie! The afternnoon was mostly a wash out, so I did some exploring looking for places to fish where small streams flowed into the "trophy section" of the CT. I finally found a spot where a slow moving stream met the CT. The contrast between the slow stream and the fast CT was ideal. Standing in the tributary and casting into CT I soon hooked into 2 salmon and 4 rainbows. I didn't want to leave, but I had to head back to take the wife out to dinner. On Sunday morning I got up early and was on the river at 5am. By the 3rd cast I caught an 18" salmon! Drifting San Juan worms in the fast moving current I got into 2 more salmons and several rainbows. After this quick flurry things slowed down so I moved over to the other side of the CT on the edge of the fast moving current and drifted a size 16 bead-head pheasant tail. Again a couple more salmon and many more rainbows, all 14" or larger. By *8am I had 18 fish! This was by far my best freshwater fishing with a fly rod. I hope to go back sometime this summer or fall. It would be great to get a group of guys to head up there.

Steve
Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Local Boob

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway61
I couldn't help notice the raging waters in the Connecticut. If any damn fool tried to wade that they would end up in the LI Sound.
It wasn't that bad...wait a second you meant that in a bad way...

After a few days of fishing for weak-ass fish out of the yak with Wifey I decided that I'd fish the river come Hell or well I guess the high water was already there.

Basically it was the same deal...where brook met river there were good fishing for the Landlocks and Rainbows (there are lots of little cricks below the last dam)...but I got bored with that and got me a floaty thing which was designed for a kid not my eighth of a ton ass. Still that was way more fun...cold though.

Still haven't managed a large Brown Trout there, m'eh.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Steve,

Now that is a freshwater fishing report!!

It's been years since I've been to the uppet CT. River. It would be nice to get a few like minded flyrodders on a trip up there.

BTW, the Millers has been great even with the high water of late.

Millerbrown
Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 AM

MB,
Sounds like a good idea. I plan on returning some time in mid September, By then the water should be down.

Steve it's a wonder you did not have company in that spot you were at. If it's the stream I think it is, it's a popular spot. But the few people I talked to said most of the guides had their clients at the ponds & from what I saw no one was fishing the river at all. Unfortunately I did not even have time to look at some of the smaller streams over due to the wifes aliments.

Sean, glad you found some Landlocks & some trout, any decent size to them?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Local Boob

Define "decent"

Not sure the biggest fish broke 12" but they certainly had more spunk than the pond brookies.

I didn't see a single person on the river - a first - I'm not much of a trout fisherman and I did best with a mini - Carolina rig with a few tungsten beads on the leader (I mistakenly brought my saltwater tying kit instead of my freshwater one)

I also took a day to head to Back Lake to fish for the smallies that the lodge owner refuses to believe in. He gave a speech about invasive species but didn't seem to mind brown or rainbow trout - so I called him a fish racist.

The best fish by far of the week came from the trout pond at the lodge, pond being a strong word since I may have been able to jump across it. Maureen caught it.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM

On Saturday afternoon, there were a couple of guys across the river. I had the trbutary side to myself. But on Sunday morning, I had the both sides to myself. The other side required some bush wacking, but it was well worth it. If that place was crowded, I was prepared to hike down the trail a far piece to find fishable water. Having lived in NH for 25 years, I am embarrassed to say that I have only been that far north twice before, and the last time was 18 years ago. I tended to focus my outdoor activites in the Whites, the Saco, and the Androscogin

Hey Sean.....kiddie flotation device? I'm trying to picture you in a tube around your waist and water wings!

Steve
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Good reports guys. I bet as soon as the water goes down the Ct river will be fishing pretty good. Especially the sections below Lake Francis on down to West Stewartstown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.