My new house (almost) - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
My new house (almost)

Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted here. Hope all is well with everyone. I've just been incredibly busy with my move from MA to Denver. My new job is taking up a lot of time, and between that, my family, and getting settled from the move, free time to do things like visit fishing forums has been seriously lacking!

Anyway, I sold my house in MA for a huge loss and ended up with no money for a down payment for another house. My wife and I are renting a house which is 4 miles from my office. Great, right? Nope! They just announced they're closing this office and I'll be commuting 40 miles each way right through downtown Denver every day. I work ~11 hr day (need to in order to do my job) so now my wife is going to be stuck at home alone 13+ hrs a day in the tiny house we're renting. She moved away from everyone she knew so if I have to leave her alone here that much, she's probably going to either kill me in my sleep or divorce me. So, I need to find a house closer to work, and also something that has more room for her and the kids so we can take out more of their toys and give them (and my wife) more space so she doesn't have cabin fever. My job has offered to pay my moving expenses plus some misc money again since they did this to me and feel guilty.

I was looking at ~2.5 years of saving before I'd have enough for a down payment, moving, and misc. An opportunity presented itself though that was hard to turn down. My wife and I have been looking at houses that we can do a lease to buy option and found our dream house and the price is right. The only problem is that the price is really good and the owner is getting offers to buy it, but not for a price they're really excited about. So, I decided to cash out a bunch of retirement money so I'd have a down payment and I got the house! I've always saved really aggressively for retirement and I liquidated a big chunk of that. I'm only 31 years old and I make very good money so saving lots of money to make up for cashing out this chunk isn't an issue.

Here's some pictures of the house. It's a 4 bedroom/3 bath that's been entirely redone. There's a 2 car garage and a 1700 sq ft finished basement that has one of the bedrooms and baths, plus two enormous rooms that are each 700 sq ft or so. It cost me $464 and I'll be closing at the end of July. After owning my own home for the last 7 years, I have not enjoyed being a renter again for the last 2 months. It just doesn't feel like home because it isn't. But that'll soon be fixed!

This will put me a lot closer to great fishing water and also to the mountains and skiing. It's right in the foothills only about 10 minutes away from the edge of the mountains.

[/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

WOW - congratulations Scott. She won't kill you now!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 04:33 AM

The marble tile counter tops are a nice touch Scott.
Looks as if there is enough room for you to hide a man cave/fly tying area down in that basement some place. At least you found a home that suits you rather quickly.

BTW as you have just found out, moving sucks
Old 06-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
The marble tile counter tops are a nice touch Scott.
Looks as if there is enough room for you to hide a man cave/fly tying area down in that basement some place. At least you found a home that suits you rather quickly.

BTW as you have just found out, moving sucks
There's definitely room for tying somewhere in that place!

Yes, moving sucks, but what sucks even more is moving twice in 6 months. I'm trying to look at it positively that I'm moving to a permanent home and I can unpack everything and settle in instead of the temporary place I'm in now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.