Doin' it again! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2000, 07:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Doin' it again!

The first, third and last weekends in August look good, you know why. If we lean toward the last there may be some 'noids in the picture. Someone might pull off the shore slam... wouldn't that be freakin' incredible. In fact we should throw an extra five into the pot to fund a slam award - a gift certificate from the shop who offers the best incremental dollar value to our contribution, for instance.

Same rules, please post here if interested. Include preferred weekend. Unlike the official sign-up this is just an initial headcount. The official sign-up will be a commitment, to follow after we assess the interest.

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2000, 07:21 AM

RE:Doin' it again!

If the third weekend in August is the 19th, I might actually finally make one of these trips!
Old 07-31-2000, 07:43 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Juro, I am down for any weekend in August. I can't wait after reading your reports from the last adventure.
Old 07-31-2000, 07:57 AM
i'm so outta here

Ditto! Almost any weekend in August would work for me. We take occupancy of the Dennis cottage on Sat. Aug. 26. That's the only day I couldn't make it. Sunday would work.

BTW, funny how the same object can vary in appearance depending on the perspective from which it's viewed. This parallax shift led me to report a much different experience in the 7 hours prior to the big rip blitz. Sorry if I offended anyone's sense of reality.

Next time, I will definitely know to stay put near the big rip. There's nothing much in the way of structure beyond or before it.
Old 07-31-2000, 08:33 AM

Oh yeah! I'm in. Any weekend other than the 12 - 13th that is. A shore slam would just be awesome!

Gregg
Old 07-31-2000, 08:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Al -

But what IS reality? Your iron will to circumnavigate the island led to a deeper understanding of the essence of a very cool place, vicious in some ways (the gulls?!?) and as smooth and comfortable as the driftwood log and the soft sand around it at the same time. Water that was fishy yet void of life one moment, then violent and full of arm-wrenching linebackers the next.

The most important 'reality' was the dose you gave to the poacher. You were HOT! Wouldn't want to get in your way when you get that way... I'd say you definitely made your point.

! barely 48 hours later and we're halfway there! (I am mentally still there)
Old 07-31-2000, 09:27 AM

I'm in,any week works for me . Almost time for the funny fish YEAH.
Old 07-31-2000, 09:27 AM

Since I missed out on the last run, I'm in. I was still feeling Crappy (litterally) on Friday & with the lack of facilities on Monomoy, well... Al also told me that there were no no-shows & the boat was full.

If the next trip does turn out to be the week of the 26th Al & I will probably end up in Divorce Court, but on the plus side my boat will be at Bass River that week.

On Sunday my wife & I drove up North, out of the rain. I fished the Mousem at the bottom of the tide. There was about a dozen SWFF guys there & not a single bent rod. I also scouted the Biddeford side of the Saco & found a very nice public launch on 9 & 208 just North of NE University.

We ended up at LLBean & I have some news for those looking for an "excuse" to pick up a two-hander. They had there top-of-line GQS T-40, two-hand & Spey rods at half price (example, $465 -> $229). They had 9'-15' models with 9-12 weights. At the outlet store they also had some oversized reels to go with the two-hander, also at half price ($199 -> $99). Hmm, a two-hander outfit for less than four-bills?

BTW: Al, I picked you up two sizes of gold bead chain. I tried to call you to see if you needed anything else, but you were not home. They have a huge selection of materials.
Old 07-31-2000, 10:54 AM
Middle Aged Member

Wedding to attend Saturday 8/5. Other than that I would commit to any day.

Regards,
Fred A.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:26 AM
i'm so outta here

Greg -- I swear! I was thinking of you the whole time....please don't divorce me

Seriously, if my parents agree to take my son for a day or two, Jen may end up coming along on this second rip trip. She's never caught a striper on the fly but has landed schoolies to cows on bait. She would absolutely love the rip and the chance to learn from the group. I was relating to Hawkeye how she and I have spent some time casting over the last few weeks; she's really quite a natural and definitely has the right attitude. Some couples end up playing golf into their retirement. We plan on fly fishing the world together. How lucky am I?

al
Old 07-31-2000, 11:36 AM

If we can work out the baby sitting details, Diane and I are in. Actually the first weekend doesn't work but any of the last three are a go. Al, Diane is after her first striper too, wouldn't it be a hoot if we could get the girls into
some great fishing action.

Jay C.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Juro, I vote for the weekend of the 19th! if that weekend I'm in! Tom D
Old 07-31-2000, 11:56 AM

Very funny Al!

I meant we might both end up in divorce court, each with our respective wives.

If we take the boat, it may be a fun trip for the girls & a chance for flats fishing from shore combined with deep trenches from the boat. I'll have to look at the charts, but I'm guessing from Bass R. to S. Monomoy & back, plus moving around would be about a full tank of fuel?
Old 07-31-2000, 12:47 PM
Recent Member

Juro,

I'm game, how about all three? Seriously (but I was being serious), any of those weekends are fine.

Thanks a pod for setting up such an awesome trip!!

btw - Didn't fish this morning, Keith called me while in route, t-storm warnings so he canceled the day. Denied!! Oh well, needed to come home and dry my tent out anyway.

DP
Old 07-31-2000, 04:45 PM

Would love to go if it's the weekend of the 19th or the weekend of the 26th.

Sounds like the group's latest adventure was great - sorry I missed it. We were away at a family reunion type vacation. Did manage to sneak out and catch a couple of 20 inch rainbows on a beautiful mountain lake one day. It was fun, but more than one local guy said, "You've been fly fishing in saltwater?! And on Monomoy?! I'ld LOVE to do that someday . . . ."

We are pretty fortunate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.