Cape Cod 2008 One retuned Brit Invasion - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
mike oliver

Cape Cod 2008 One retuned Brit Invasion

Hi Guys,

Wanted to express my appreciation to so many of you who made my stay in Cape Cod so memerable and enjoyable. Special high light was a trip to Monomoy with JS and several other guys. I am not at liberty to fully describe our day but will say that it was probably one of the best fishing experinces of my life and also one of the most humbling for several reasons which I am sure Monomoy regulars will understand.
Thanks Jim and Pam for the invite to the "cook In" at the Stone Horse on the occasion of your birthday. Real privalage to be there.
The fishing with the fly rod this year was notably tougher than my first trip in 2007 but you could find fish if you worked hard. During my second week I turned more nocturnal as day light fishing was very hard due to the very hot and bright weather.
Fish were very spooky and even when I got a shot at sighted fish the touch down of even small headed Clousers sent them tearing off into the far yonder.

I did get onto the last afternoon of the Cape Cod Canal blitz. Sadly the fly rod was not appropiate equipment for Stripers hammering Mackeral on the surface in a very fast current. The locals laughed at our 3 oz spinning rods but they manged to help me and three buddies land over 40 fish each with only about 10 fish weighing lesss than 10 lbs. Our best fish went 42 inches +. Some locals were claiming that this was the best blitz on the Canal for many years. The fish just came through in constant pods breaking the surface as they crashed into the poor mackeral. The blitze lasted for 3 days in total and the West Tide was very productive .I was just so lucky to be for once in the right place at the right time.

I will be back next year with my crew and hope to meet up with you all again.

Tight lines

Mike O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Mike

Sorry I did not have the opportunity to fish with you this year. Very happy to hear that you had enjoyable times in Chatham and Canal. More in the coming weeks by e-mail.
Pete
PopnestBay
petereadel@verizon.net
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver
Hi Guys,

I did get onto the last afternoon of the Cape Cod Canal blitz. Sadly the fly rod was not appropiate equipment for Stripers hammering Mackeral on the surface in a very fast current. The locals laughed at our 3 oz spinning rods but they manged to help me and three buddies land over 40 fish each with only about 10 fish weighing lesss than 10 lbs. Our best fish went 42 inches +. Some locals were claiming that this was the best blitz on the Canal for many years. The fish just came through in constant pods breaking the surface as they crashed into the poor mackeral. The blitze lasted for 3 days in total and the West Tide was very productive .I was just so lucky to be for once in the right place at the right time.

I will be back next year with my crew and hope to meet up with you all again.

Tight lines

Mike O.
Spend some timeover the next year trying to figure out how to catch those Canal fish on the fly. You did bump into an epic number of big fish this year, but in general it is always pretty damn good and fishing the Middleside will alway save you gas and accomodation $.. and the fishing is better to boot. You can always sightfish some of the nearby Cape Cod Bay venues as well.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 AM
mike oliver

jfbasser,

We fished the canal in an area know as the Cribben. On the west tide it was tanking through at over 5 knots, I guessed and the banks would not have allowed much of a back cast with a fly rod. It was tight swinging a big surface popper. on a spinning rod. Most of our fish were over 32 inches and I think we would have been very much under rodded with a 9 or 10 wt fly rod with the fish fighting down current of us. The fish were only interested in big 2.5 oz and 3.5oz mackeral finished pencil poppers. Hard to cast a fly that big. Some fish popped very close in but most were taken around one third to half way across the canal.
But I will spend more time next year scoping the canal for opportunities with the fly rod and thanks for making the suggestion. I enjoy new challanges.

PoP Pete.

Pete so sorry I never got around to your side of the inlet. I should have put my wet suit on and swam across at slack tide to say hallo but for many reasons it just did not happen. The mung was pretty bad in that first week we saw you fishing away on the opposite side. I also had the job of hosting another friend from the UK who came over for four days so I was committed to taking him around the Cape looking for fish and then you had to leave for a few days and well the rest is history. I did miss fishing with you so we must make ammends and firm stuff up properly next year. The crew I was with this year contained new Guys so I had to do a bit of hand holding to. I should be 100% a free spirit next year. The fish on our side did not repeat their staging positions this year until the very last morning when I managed to get 9 smallish fish at dawn. This was a great way to end a great trip. Will see you next year.

Mike
Old 06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver
jfbasser,

We fished the canal in an area know as the Cribben. On the west tide it was tanking through at over 5 knots, I guessed and the banks would not have allowed much of a back cast with a fly rod. It was tight swinging a big surface popper. on a spinning rod. Most of our fish were over 32 inches and I think we would have been very much under rodded with a 9 or 10 wt fly rod with the fish fighting down current of us. The fish were only interested in big 2.5 oz and 3.5oz mackeral finished pencil poppers. Hard to cast a fly that big. Some fish popped very close in but most were taken around one third to half way across the canal.
But I will spend more time next year scoping the canal for opportunities with the fly rod and thanks for making the suggestion. I enjoy new challanges.

Mike
Mike you happened been in the area with the highest bank ( aka High Bank)....next year explore a little on the East turn at low tide. It is possible to wade on some of the exposed mussel beds. Historically the biggest fish in the canal have been taken on a long cast with Polaris poppers at slack tide...go figure..but the fish tend to move in closer to the bank when the current picks up.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM
mike oliver

Thanks Basser ,

I will do just that. Will let you know by PM how I get on. Just a mere year to wait unless I win the lottery.

Mike
Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

It was great to catch up with you before you left. Sounds like you had a fantastic visit.

Keep in touch,
Juro
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
mike oliver

Juro,

Thanks. It was good to meet up with you at Jim's Birthday bash. I did have a great trip even if I failed to do very well with the fly rod. It is the challange that is important and that is what keeps me wanting to come back plus the incredible camararderie shared between the Fly Fishing community in the Cape.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

BTW -

When is the 'second wave' due to arrive?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Too many hobbies...

Mike,

It was a pleasure fishing with you at Monomoy. I enjoyed talking with you and learning about the English sporting life vs. the US situation. The Jim Simms birthday get-together was a great time. Pam really knows how to feed hungry fishermen. That's why Jim still looks so youthful at 59 years of age.....

When you come back next year, bring a boatload of those 60 MPG cars you have over there and you'll make yourself rich!

Good fishing to you and see you again,
Bob Scott
Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
mike oliver

Bob,

Thanks I really enjoyed your company and Jay's too. What we did that day really was the death march. I think about that day a lot. I wished I lived locally then it would be possioble to grow our knowledge of how to navigate around such a fantastic wilderness.

Yes Pam did a great job feeding us all. I had literally just turned up from fishing Hardings beach and was ravanous. Good evening. I went on from there and fished a local mark near to our house until 09.30 the next morning for my first 24 hour stint. Did ok but nothing big. Will look out for you and Jay next year.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
mike oliver

Juro,

The next invasion of Brits was actually there at the same time. Austin's group had been there I think since late May and Essex Alan's group with Colin was due to arrive on the 11th June. I think Alans goup are on the way back to the Uk now. So it is until the big tides show again in June 2009 for most of us.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Mike, glad to have you along for a little fun on the wild side of the elbow. As you observed, that walk is not for everyone, but with the right tide and some previous knowledge, it can be an epic event (and it was for some). You are always welcome to join us. See ya next June.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
mike oliver

Jim,

Thanks. I will be doing some work in the Gym in time for next year. Appreciate your inviations which I will definataly be taking up.
I just heard from Oz and Essex Alan today. Oz did well in the boats but Alan's group in all honesty struggled like I did to locate feeding , takeble fish from the shore. That's fishing though. But the difference when skunking in the USA is that at least you know there are fish to be caught whereas over here there is very little. Knowing that fish are present keeps you motivated and fishing for too many hours as there is always a chance..
So it is until next June Jim.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.