Weekend - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Weekend

Haven't seen many reports this Monday but I for one did terrible this past weekend. Water temps seemed to have spiked from last weekend so maybe that had an affect. Saw a good number of fish on Brewster but much smaller then last weekend and still finicky as heck. Picked up a few schoolies but that was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Middle Aged Member

Fished the bayside for about an hour Saturday am. Overslept and missed my target of first light. Got a few schoolies. But it was pleasant. Then off to RI for a graduation party. I feel like I'm missing the June fishing. Woke up to flashes of lightning sunday am and didn't bother.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Local Boob

Don't feel bad I've been out 12 times this month and I feel like I've missed June fishing.

The places that I have found fish though tell me two things...

An average fish is bigger this year than last...

The belief that spring-time fly patterns don't really matter may need some updating. A few times I've found a ton of fish but couldn't get bitten off by a bluefish. Only time I felt that rejected was when I dropped my wallet in P-Town and picked it up...and nothing happened.

Now for my Billion dollar question:

Why is it that very often a fly fisherman will have to "match the hatch" in terms of size, color, and shape...but the guy chucking Plugs or Red/Black 9" Sluggos next to him has a field day?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM
LBFF Mojo

Quote:
Why is it that very often a fly fisherman will have to "match the hatch" in terms of size, color, and shape...but the guy chucking Plugs or Red/Black 9" Sluggos next to him has a field day?
Well still depends on whether you got a good gear guy but to me lures work because they have inherent action built in and that can trigger takes. Still even lure guys can get the skunk by not having the right lure.

At least you guys are getting out...I have been in and out of the ER and hospital the past 2 week with kidney stones. The average size of my stones seem bigger this year as well

-sean
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 AM

Saturday was slow, Sunday better, 3 very fat keepers and about 25 schoolies.

Last edited by CSJ60; 06-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM

6/12-6/16 Report

Fished the "Sound" waters along beaches in Popponesset area. Early AM (5ish to 9), PM's (6ish to 9). Never took a 'skunk' but had to work for each and every one I brought to hand. A couple of Blu's that were close to 30", several smaller and one Stripah that exceeded 30" but stripers were in the major minority. Hard fishing from shore. Saw lots of surface activity 100yds+ offshore. Still have not seen birds in any quantity "working" over fish. Maybe up to a couple of dozen but that would be a 'big' flock so far this year. Stripers in the evening and Blus in the morning,for the most part.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Very odd so far.

My favorite UDL has been fishing in the opposite world so far this year, normally at the mouth during the ebb of a predawn tide I'm usually rewarded with a keeper or two, so far it's been dead on the ebb and lights out on the flood. One day last week as the tide started to flood with still a little outward flow the fish were stacked up waiting for enough water to fill in so they could move up. These fish are still keying on big bait, I at first threw my usual creek type flies, small sandeels, shrimp and crab , I had some follows but all resulted in turn aways , for the sake of trying I switched to a 7 " craft fur herring fly, which resulted in many hook ups on the spey.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Sorry to hear Sean.

I have felt that pain once, and that was enough.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well still depends on whether you got a good gear guy but to me lures work because they have inherent action built in and that can trigger takes. Still even lure guys can get the skunk by not having the right lure.
I'd add to that, distance of the cast not always so much for where it puts the plug but the amount of time the offering is in the water. When something travels a greater distance or is near the fish for a longer period of time it's more likely that it's gonna get smashed. That's not to say you can't do it with a fly too.

Sean, Sorry to hear about the stones, hope you get over that quick, I hear it's hell.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
6th Year Apprentice

mother in law was up for her first royal visit, so no fishing

I did get out yesterday though, and an hours fishing reaped half a dozen schoolies on Rays flies and the follow of a big deceiver by a keeper before no-see-ums and lightening chased me off the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.