Posting volume - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Posting volume

It's a little sad to see new posts fall to less than a dozen a day. Is this because people are out fishing, a reflection of fly fishing's decline in popularity, or something specific to this website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Middle Aged Member

People tired of talking about it?

Most all the fishing sites seem to be down in traffic and where there's traffic the content is weak. Been like that a couple of years.

But this site is having extended periods of near death experience with occasional pretty good threads. (Felt compelled to modify this statement)

Last edited by FredA; 06-16-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

blah blah blah umbrella rig blah blah politics blah blah newbie questions blah
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
President of CAC

Yes, I think, I for one am getting a bit tired of all the web sites.... I usually post here...or RT or Jeff's board..and it was mostly flies and sharing info on tying flies...but I was out this past weekend and fished NM and will go back this weekend.... saw lots of fish...that's about all I can say...If I catch a good fish, I just can't blast it on the webs anymore..but Juro is right..... most of the stuff is about politics, What flies to use (People should do some searches on the forums and get the answers instead of the same things over and over again)...or, "What do you think about those Sox?"..."Where's a good spot to fish on Cape Cod".... " How do you clean a fly reel?"...or "when should you clean a reel?" " My reel exploded"...yada, yada..... or the real great post...which goes on an on...The Bahama equipment and customs post, which is on again.....I think I will use the forum for making plans, communicating with members about plans, and basic fishing reports. Not, " My underwear seems to ride high in my waders, what's the solution?" It seems like alot of the guys seemed to have disappeared from all the boards, except on occasion, people like Roop, Pink, JohnM, Estes Bros, etc, etc. I have to think that they are "tired"...I maybe wrong and I stand corrected , and I have been guilty of posting meaningless stuff. But I just don't have the energy anymore to answer a question like, "I am starting in SW flyfishing, what rod would be good and why?"

Last edited by striblue; 06-16-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
and, on the subject of John's underwear riding up under his waders...

How about FlyDoc's new tattoo?!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
_

Doesn't really look like FlyDoc to me, but that tattoo is hilarious! I bet the artist was laughing during the entire procedure.

As for the drop in posting volume, I think there was a huge surge in the popularity of flyfishing at the same time that the internet was relatively new and more accessible to a lot of people. There were a lot more people that were new to the sport and new to the bulletin boards, which resulted in a lot of posts. All of that has leveled off now, so there aren't as many newbies asking questions or posting things just because it's new and fun to post messages. People have also learned how easy it is to burn a spot and/or get flamed by other users because of posting detailed fishing reports, so there aren't as many reports being posted.

Q
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 AM

I feel I'd better wade in here. A few rising, but the evening is yet young and warm. Maybe there'll be a Hex hatch. Who knows?

Anybody remember @FLYFISH.COM? I still have my hat pin from that practically ARAPNET beginning (I know this isn't the right acronym, but I'm too tired and too effing lazy to look it up -- surely you get the drift).

I feel this is a social network more than anything. We all have friends here, and when we ask obvious and repetitive questions (what fly to use, how's the fishing) most of us (me certainly included) are reaching out to you, my/our cyber friends, to connect and learn from you. The people with expertise on this board, and they are legion, are our teachers and mentors. The questions come over and over, but the answers, may they be hackneyed to some, are fresh to others and bring advice and comfort to the inexperienced.

A case in point: the Steelhead board is virtually moribund. As a moderator, I try to think of topics to stimulate some posting and response, but mostly my efforts are in vain -- and I get discouraged as hell. I know there are competent steelheaders out their fishing every day. I'd sure like to hear from them. At the other end of the spectrum, I'd like to hear from someone who's read about steelhead and wants a few tips on where to go and how to fish. I'd answer to the best of my ability.

Someone wants to talk about the nuances of the riffling hitch, I'd wade in on that one.

Steelhead conservation and environmental enhancement? Sure thing. I've got some wacko opinions on that I'd nakedly throw into the ring.

And I'm the idiot in the school when it comes to Steelhead knowledge.

Recently, I've been bugging the Striper Board and getting lots of very useful information, which I was able to put into practice just this last week. The Forum is an incredible resource. I hate to think of it, or realize that others think of it, as on life-support.

Why don't more people post? Why so many lurkers?

I post some drivel and check a few hours later and usually find that, although there have been 0 replies, the post has been read by dozens of people. Our readers and friends are out there.

I feel we should suck it up and weather this storm of apathy out. Juro has given his heart's blood for this; and we, the Fly Fishing Forum, are too valuable a resource for the fly flinging community to dissipate into the cyber vortex any time soon.

BTW: What are your favorite single malts?

End of rant.

-- Eric
Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 AM

I have never tasted whiskey.

I do feel this site is dying for lack of posts and would like to do something about it - just not sure what. Yes, I know I should post more, but that's not the whole answer.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Pencil me in.....

Internet sites have become like newspapers, for entertainment purposes only. The information offered is genearally not specific enough to a situation to be of any real use. The sites that have more of a "club like" atmosphere seem to be still doing quite well. I for one am a recognized GPS expert but would never post an answer to a typical question...you just get overrrun with answers from Pilgrims that think they know their stuff and happen to have a lot of time.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 AM

What's a GPS? Any thing like a UPS?

I usually only have sarcastic smart ass comments about something someone else posts so I tend to keep them to myself if possible. (see above)
However if I do have something relevant to post, I do. But unfortunately my fishing time is limited, and what little I have done this year is not worthy of commenting on.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 AM
President of CAC

I really don't disagree with what you say Eric, it is just I would think some people can take the time and effort to do a "search" and then find post to most common questions. I raised the Custom post as an example of a run on thread that gave 50 opinions and ended up more confusing and "answerless" than the original question. I had asked a question on Sextant use since I knew there were no others on the forum...I did a search. But the questions on Cape fishing location and the others I mention are buried all over the place on this forum. Is Juro, for example, going to give tying instruction for the umpteenth time on the deep eel? I do agree that it is a "social" thing , that is why I find basic fishing reports and making fishing plans, clave plans, etc....or a report on the result of the use of new equipment is what this is about... One thing we don't have is a forum for general talk like some of the others....DO A SEARCH and get more answers than torturing others with having to repeat the same thing over and over. But I can't see where the forum is dying from lack of posts so I must be missing something.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Pete- come on...you know that if that was MY gut, the monkey's a$$ would be MUCH bigger than that!!!
Flydoc

P.S. Volume is over-rated....sparce but tasteless is my motto.....
Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM

The forums that get the highest volume will be those that provide answers to what seems to be a dumb questions. The forums with the lowest volume will be those where a poster will be worried about making a dumb post.

There are still a lot of people out there that will be getting into fly fishing and they will ask dumb questions. I know, I have been there and I still am there compared to many of you guys. There is so much to learn about fly fishing. I will see a post and wonder what the heck is he talking about when it seems like common knowledge to the poster and others. Then I want to find out what its all about. To me that is a big part of the fun, finding and learning about new places, equipment and techniques, and sharing what little I do know.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Middle Aged Member

Golden rule #22: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

FAQ's are the real lifeblood of sites like this. Seems a simple reply and a suggestion to try a search is a better response than no response or some terse comment about using the search function. The latter is sure to turn people off and keep them from returning. Also, the common wisdom with regard to FAQ's is frequently modified or opinions differ. It's good to rehash, maybe have a good ol fashion sh#t fight.

So assuming 80% of those that post here broke the ice with a "dumb or frequently asked question" type post, who was the last admitted to this clique?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
President of CAC

HHHHMMMMM............seems like my points are being misunderstood. I am all for a polite reference to the use of the search function, in fact I recall a number of posts refering the query to the search fuction. In fact, it seems that on a number of basic questions you see one , maybe two responses, when a while ago...years ago...it would draw all sorts of responses....now.... people will not respond... and have not... you all speak of "volumn" and it seems that you will have less volumn and participation with having to "rehash" old stuff, which, incidently usually generates the same type of answers anyway. The questioner then says to himself, "gee, only a couple of responses to my question...what kind of site is this...I guess they don't care". To be fair..a reference to doing a search is far more informative and HELPFUL than a couple of quick responses. The guy can then open up a discussion (which then will deal with VOLUMN) and say I read this or that, has it changed? etc. etc. I have no issues with fishing reports, discussion on new equipment, a change in a fly that is now a good fly where it was not, matching the saltwater hatch on the bayside flats that change from pogies to eels, or whatever.............but once again...how to clean a fly reel, or other common sense stuff should be searched first.... and the questioner will get "more" information doing that than the one or two responses that the question triggers. Incidently, I have looked at the other boards... with all the newbees asking questions and the answers are coming from other newbees....not some of the older guys...who, as I have stated and stand by that, is that they just don't have the energy to give some one a Deep eel step by step....that's why most forums have a flytying section with instruction that CAN BE found. so.."Goldern Rule 22A The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, unless , with a little effort, you can find the answer and find MORE by seeing the history of the question....if there is none, then, please ask the question and people here will be more than happy to provide their polite opinions". This was a thread on why Volumn appears down by the originator.... I am saying , that volumn maybe down because people are saying.."OH No, not this again...I just can't respond"...there is your volunm problem or one of them... so I guess some of you are saying that we can get volumn up so long as we keep asking dumb questions ....I can't see that getting volumn up...but quite the opposite.

Who said ? "People tired of talking about it?

Most all the fishing sites seem to be down in traffic and where there's traffic the content is weak. Been like that a couple of years.

But this site is having extended periods of near death experience with occasional pretty good threads. (Felt compelled to modify this statement)"

OK here is an example.... of a Dumb or lazy question by me...."I am going to Maine for Vacation , any good places to fish?" I wait for an answer...instead of doing a search... and lo and behold I find a perfectly good question like mine WITH AN ANSWER...I SEARCH and find a post from nmbrowncom with an informative answer from Mark (DoubleHaul)..(this is a recent post).... I now know where to fish on my Vacation. I might then ask as a response to nmbrown post that I will also be in another part of Maine and I then "supplement " the question.... Months from now someone else will be in Maine at that local or another and "voila"... an answer.... WHY...Because he did a SIMPLE search.... and I suspect there are other posts on the subject as well. I use nmbrown thread as my starting point...with answers...good ones....now if I did post that question...Mark, might, I say might...say..."John , do a search...I answered a question like that to an other question".....or he will not answer the question at all...I mean, do we really expect that he will "rehash" that info AGAIN?.. 80 plus viewers have checked out that thread already. I wonder what 80 posts on the same subject work for our volumn problem.Duh.

Anyway...What about Dem Celtics???????

Last edited by striblue; 06-19-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.