Bayside, 6/7 am - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Middle Aged Member

Thumbs down Bayside, 6/7 am

Dead on the drop dead on the first hour of the incoming. Seen no fish and the only bait I saw was a 15 inch shad/wanna-be-tarpon I caught at the end of the creek.

So much for great expectations. Those canal fish must be a day or two away. The only good thing is I had the whole place to myself until about 7:30 then a conga line of ffer's formed along the shore by 9:00 am. As long as the flood doesn't turn on in a big way the conga crowd will probaly be lookin for greener pastures.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Pencil me in.....

I estimate that at least fifty 40# fish were caught over the last five days in the canal. This push is over let us see if we have another. We did not last year
Old 06-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Fred.....it has certainly been a strange start to the season. I fished Harding beach on Thursday and 500 casts produced 3 fish, 2 in the mid 20's and one "stripet"...hardly the size of a fish
Saw very little bait...saw a small school on 2 inch sand eels....that's it. Saw only one pod of about 8 stripers flashing...picked one up then. But dead, dead, dead!
So either the season is 3 weeks late (at least) or the bait hasn't arrived or went offshore or the stripers flew Jet Blue to go north and gave up swimming to get there.
Saw at least 15 guys fishing on Thursday and only 6 fish caught.....so I guess I had a relatively good day.......given the cost of gas for the trip, I averaged $16.50 per fish.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Last week

Was at cottage in Mashpee from late afternoon, 6/2 thru noon on 6/6 and fished from Waquoit Bay to Poppy Bay. Logs show total of 23hrs in the water and 21 stripers brought to hand plus 5, inadvertant "long line releases". 2 fish 30+", 4 that were +/- 28" and 4 "Stripets" (slightly longer than fly but not by much) Rest were all 15"-22" feisty fish. ALL caught on ebb though I fished into incoming and pretty evenly spaced between morning and evening. 'Sound' side fishing was tough as water was very dirty, even the 'pluggers' were complaining. Fish seem to be in their usual locations but not in the numbers of last couple of years. There is some bait around but did not see usual quantity of cormorants so I can assume that pickings are slim. Has been very slow, so far, this year in my frequented locations. Back to try again over "Fathers Day" weekend.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred - I was in the conga line for the flood.

Craig got into an isolated pod of good fish and Neal and I joined him in time for one more keeper-sized fish on my first or second cast. Craig already had 3. That was it and barely saw another schoolie for the next few hours. It was hard leaving perfect conditions.

Where the last time I was there hundreds of birds were on the shore and working blitzes on the flood there where only a desperate tern here or there all day. Read: no bait, no fish especially when they are skinny and trying to recover from their long run.

Went to the south side after lunch for the top of the tide. Bait and birds but all out over big water and the boaters were getting schoolies while the flats were barren.

Many will recall periods of time in previous years when bait and fish stayed out over dark blue water and nothing came up on the flats, well looks like we're having that now. My theory is that the bait has not made any residency in the sand, no one is raking eels and I see nothing popping from the sand as I walk.

People we spoke to fished further east and had plentiful action with smaller fish on foot which tells me they had the bait on shore over there like we had earlier e.g. the clave weekend.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 AM

A few miles west of you, and 7 miles offshore there is massive amounts of bait and bluefish.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Middle Aged Member

A birdy told me many in the conga line were remnants from the cancelled rip trip. Saw sean juans' truck in the parking lot, I think, when I left. The same birdy told me that K. Mcfly and company had good fish later in the incoming, after everybody left.

Fished the outgoing this morning, not much going on but there was lot's of bait. Saw a few fish at the bottom and picked up a fiesty 25-26" schoolie. Didn't give thie incoming much time but I saw fish on the walk back.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Sean Juan, we were spotted, I told ya to turn on the cloaking device

We did not see much at all there yesterday Fred, Poloreyez was with us & had a fish roll in front of him & that was it. But we did see your truck, you must have snuck out behind us. We were at the far west end of the Conga line avoiding the crowd.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Middle Aged Member

Don't know how I missed Sean. FF'rs all look the same.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:28 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Fred, you didn't stay long enough on the coming tide today. Me thinks I'll be on the bayside in the a.m. for both the outgoing/incoming.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Jim, sent you a PM re tomorrow afternoon.

Mark
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Local Boob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
Don't know how I missed Sean. FF'rs all look the same.

That Conga line could be 500 deep - I'd still be the prettiest.

Be interesting to see how the year shapes up last year Spring was absolutely fantastic - summer (daytime) was well below average (night-time) was pretty good - fall was only slightly less action than spring

This year spring either didn't happen or hasn't happened - I wonder if there just simply aren't greener pastures for the stripers off-shore than inshore (the canal is unique.)

I think I simply have to learn how to fish the ditch...

This week I think I may switch to nocturnal mode - not that I think it will help much but at least at night it's easier to pretend that you saw a fish.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 AM

Some of those canal fish have made it to Plymouth (off Plymouth). No 40#r's but 30+#r's. Never got a 40lb fish, how long is one of those beasts? I've caught my share of low 30lb fish, they tape out between 42 and 45". I got all the large on live macks, that bait will be gone in a week or so. Nailed a bunch of schoolies up to 27" on the fly, they weren't showing on top but once you found them the action was consistent. If memory serves me shouldn't the big silversides be dumping out of the estuaries now. You'll be in good shape then Fred. I'm hoping to get into those big blues again this year, they usually show up around now and push the macks North.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Fished the bay from Eastham on 6/7 from two different spots.

In the early AM came across a BIG school of Bluefish lazily finning the glass calm surface....donated a handful of flies...well worth the entertainment.

Afternoon was spent mostly playing with kids on the tidal flats, but as the tide filled in I took the kayak out for a planned 30 minutes....third cast yielded a nice 31" (butt to stripping guide) striper....called it a day.

The weekend before there had been cruising schools of mid 20's fish that were awfully competitive. I had given my daughter and nephew new fishing rods for their birthdays this spring (both 7) and they both got to test them. Uncle Mark even got to explain the sound of a fish taking line of the drag of a spinning reel.

We'll see what this weekend brings....weather look to be a bit off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.