Fly fishing the Canal?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2000, 10:56 PM
i'm so outta here

Fly fishing the Canal??

I'm hoping some of you "regulars" out there -- you know who you are -- can enlighten me on just how to fish the Ditch with the long wand. I can think of exactly three spots where it's possible and of those only one fishes well anytime but at dead low.

I keep hearing of people fly fishing the West end, but aside from Bell road what are the options? I've tried at the Maratime academy. It's OK, but if the hoards of bait chuckers are in, forget it. I've heard the flats in front of the radar tower (just down a ways from the academy) are good, but who do you have to know to get access?

My first striper ever on the fly rod was in the canal (at night, of course, about this time last year) so it sounds weird to myself to be even asking this, but I've been very frustrated this season in my attempts and was hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction. Hey, I'd even be willing to try some especially promising spots while the sun's still up

al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2000, 09:13 AM

RE:Fly fishing the Canal??

Hey Al,

I have done very little fly fishing at the canal this year but I have found good casting and catching at night just east of the Sagamore Bridge. I haven't managed to get anything really big but there were many many schoolies to be had even on the junk I was tying last year. I have also done well at pips rip. I have not caught much there but all around the herring run is very castable. I think the secret to casting at the canal is to not worry so much about distance and make a short cast in the water then make a single back cast (For the fast sink line.). You could also practice your "steeple" cast which is the ticket for the intermediate line because it takes more line out to load the rod.

Gregg
Old 08-12-2000, 10:42 AM
Recent Member

RE:Fly fishing the Canal??

It ain't easy, primarily because the access is so good that there are people fishing all over. Also, higher tides limit backcast room, unless you master the vertical backcast or can roll cast a sinking line (I can't). On top of that, often at higher tides on some parts of the Canal, the mat of seaweed that normally sits on the rocks is now suspended in water for about 10-15 ft from shore. So a very short cast won't work. Yeah, you can cast from the service road at the top of the tide, but you've got power lines, trees, and walkers/bladers to contend with and still have the backcast problem.

At very low tides, you have more options, such as Pip's and the Tidal Flats. E-mail me (bdowning@world.std.com) if you want a few more locations to try. Or just look for points that jut way out at very low or minus tides and try them.

-bd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.