New Bahamasair Baggage Policy - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 PM

New Bahamasair Baggage Policy

Ok, you are flying into the Bahamas for a bonefishing trip. You will fly into Nassau and overnight there before flying out to an out island the next morning. Looking at the new Bahamasair Baggage Policy how would you pack? Would the flight from Nassau to the out island be considered domestic or international?

http://up.bahamasair.com/policy.php?id=baggage

NEW BAGGAGE POLICY - Effective March 1, 2008

DOMESTIC

Each passenger is allowed two (2) bags restricted to a combined weight of 44lbs with total circumference less than 62 inches.

Excess Charges:
- Allowable bags greater than 62": $65.00 per bag
- Allowable bags greater than 44lbs: $65.00 per bag
- Third bag or more & under 44lbs & 62": $50.00 per bag
- Any bag oversize and over weight: $65.00 per bag

INTERNATIONAL

Each passenger is allowed two (2) bags restricted to 60lbs. per bag and 62 inches in circumference per bag.

Excess Charges:
- Greater than 62": $100.00 per bag
- Greater than 60lbs: $100.00 per bag
- Third bag or more: $85.00 per bag
- Any bag over size and over weight: $125.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Middle Aged Member

Think I'll stay home.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Southern Air

I have avoided flying Bahamasair the last few years and have gone with Southern Air....much better service, more reliable and better schedule.....

Also, the other interesting thing that I have experinced the last few times is that I can leave the US with reels and flies in my carry-on, but when I try to leave Nassau, the make me pull all of that out of my carry on and repack into check baggage.....

I actually had a nice conversation with the gal in charge of security in Nassau about this and she says that they try to model what the US does (TSA) but have added some additional restrictions.

John
Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 AM

JohnM
There are some islands Southern doesn't fly to.
I have had the same experience with carryon of reels that you have had. I carry them on going down now and check them coming back.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Just out of curiosity as I always ask this when I hear the reels are not allowed as carryon - was this because of the backing and flyline on the reels? Or would it have made not one iota of difference if you'd stripped the line off the reel (i.e., are they implying that the reels could be used as bludgeoning weapons?)?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM

In my case they just said I couldn't carryon reels. I asked why and they didn't give a good reason. Just that I couldn't even though they said they went by US TSA regulations and I showed a copy of the page on the TSA site that said you could carryon reels. They were in a separate rod and reel bag and I checked that. I don't have a problem checking them on the way back as long as I can get them down there with me.
If it comes to striping off 200+ yards on 4 reels and checking them I would choose to check them.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:02 AM

In response to the 1st post In the past I've always taken in 2 bags to Acklins on Bah. Air and never been charged xtra. I think we're considered international if we present US passport. Has anybody flown Pineapple air lately?

CC Charlie
Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 PM

reels/lines

Went to Acklins Island in early April via Bahamas Air. Got there OK , and back to Nassau, but then found the security departing Nassau would not allow fly reels with lines/backing on them. I had taken the line off and into checked baggage earlier, but I then removed the backing also. The reels without line or backing were allowed through. I hesitate to check expensive reels.
Quite the preposterous security regulation.
GMflyfish.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 AM

My experience flying to Acklins via Nassau has been that going from Nassau to Acklings the flight was considered international and the higher baggage limit was allowed, but returning from Acklins to Nassau was considered domestic and limited to 44lbs max. I don't think there is a lot of consistancy in Nassau though. Regardless, I would highly encourage staying below the 44 lbs simply because the flights to Acklins are consistantly over weight or close to it. Just watch out the window and you are likely to see the ground crew arguing with the pilot(s), and also likely to see them pulling baggage back off the plane! My experiences to Eleuthera with Bahamas Air and Continental have been similar.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM

good point

your right.....I use Southern to Long Island....their schedule actually lets us get an additional day of fishing in if we stay in Nassau on the trip down.

The gal in Nassau told me the reason the line is an issue is that they are afraid that someone would choke someone on the plan.......she suggested I could take all of the line and backing off my 6 reels and then she would allow them on. I looked at my watch and the line to get thru security and decided that it was not worth the hassle and time.....
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
simple tool...

We are all aware of how many airplanes have been hijacked by "radical extremist" fly fishers!
An old dacron bulk spool, shaft/dowel, thread spool, and some cheap hardware...
The line and backing can be transferred quickly and easily off/on multiple reels....
Then the "offending" and "dangerous" line and backing can be placed in checked baggage while the reels ride up front in carry on...
Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jack Charlton would be proud!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
reels going to Nassau in your carry-on are no problem. Going home thru Nassau you cannot bring them in carry-on with any line or backing on. So I just put my spools in my checked bags--you can put them in such a place where they will not be easily found if bags are opened.

If you are worried about theft, I'm sure there is some type of cheap insurance you can get. In fact, many credit cards offer this type of insurance when you have their card. Worst case scenario is you had your spools stolen after your trip, and they are covered by insurance.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:39 PM

I do the same thing with the bulk spool except I take along a 3/8 inch drill to speed up (greatly) the backing stripping/winding process. Can take off 2,500 yards of backing off 4 reels in under 15 minutes. Winding back on is another matter <shrug>.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1
I do the same thing with the bulk spool except I take along a 3/8 inch drill to speed up (greatly) the backing stripping/winding process. Can take off 2,500 yards of backing off 4 reels in under 15 minutes. Winding back on is another matter <shrug>.
Thats the problem I see, winding back on. Especially with GSP backing. Getting the right tension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.