8wt Sage XP or GLX Classic - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM

8wt Sage XP or GLX Classic

I have an opportunity to buy either one slightly used. What is your preference? Application is bones, reds, and steelhead. Do you prefer a 9' or 9'6" on the flats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 PM

I don't know much about the GLX series rods, but a Sage XP was/ is a nice fast rod. I have a 7 wt that I use for a bass rod. If you can get it for a good price by all means go for it!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 PM

I think the classic GLX rods are great rods, personally I prefer them over the XP. Best thing to do (I know, everyone says it all the time) is to cast each one and see which you like.

I don't see the need for a 9'6" rod for bones...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 PM

i generally agree with formula1, although you may get more distance with the longer rod. i have found that on longish casts of 80'+ that the longer rod helps particularly in accuracy because i do not have to force the cast as i might otherwise with a shorter rod. that said, on a windy day, it could be a real pain in the ass, as it will on a boat.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:22 AM

FWIW, I travel with 7 and 8 wt 4 pc rods (TFO TiCr) and put together the 'rod of the day' from sections of both rods based on what I plan to do that day. For example:

Still day, wading: 7 wt rod, 7 wt line
Still day, boat: bottom two sections 8 wt, top two 7 wt, 7 wt line
Windy day: varies, but often bottom 2-3 sections 8 wt, tip 7 wt, 7 wt line
Boat cannon: straight 8 wt setup
General wading: bottom 3 sections 8 wt, tip 7 wt, 8 wt line

and so on. I've taken the time to get used to all this and it's working out very well for me.

This started when I broke the 8 wt tip and replaced it with a 7 wt tip. I liked it so much I started messing with various rod combinations.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Certified Fish Nut

Josko,

Any issues w/ sections not fitting snugly? I think many rods don't have interchangable sections and this is unique to TFO TiCrX line... Maybe not true, I've never owned the same make and model of rods in adjacent line weights.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 PM

One of TFO's driving philosophies, as I understand it (I recently read this on another board) was to design the rods to be easily replaceable with other sections (from the same model of course) to facilitate warranty repairs. I'm guessing that this makes the sections on close line weight rods very interchangeable - I know I've played around with 8 and 10 wt rods doing this. I never thought of actually using it but that's an interesting idea I'm going to have to try - I'm thinking of using the 10 wt tip section on my TiCr on my 12 wt TiCr - the casting of a 10 wt rod with the butt strength of a 12 wt although the 10 wt is plenty strong enough for triple digit tarpon IME.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM

While I might prefer the glx (I have both rods), it has to count as the most fragile rod I have ever owned (or heard of for that matter). I wouldn't travel with this rod without a back up. I am not suggesting that it is a weak or poorly designed rod, but it will not suffer abuse (accidental or otherwise). This was a rod designed almost twenty years ago, and still, I'm not sure there is a rod from any other mfg that is so uncompromising with regards to performance (imho). Get two.

The XP is one of my all time favorite casting rods. It's funny, but I hardly fish it.

Bone fishing is not a distance game, so I don't see the need for a 9.5' rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.