CF Burkheimer SH rods - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM

CF Burkheimer SH rods

Anyone has cast and fish with CF Burkheimer SH wt.4 rods: 8'9" or 9' either 3 and/or 4 peace version?

Thanks

Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Ten years ago, Kerry built me a 3 pc 9' 5wt (it carries the wonderful serial # 1000). I needed a rod for a specific purpose . . . Kerry sent me 2 or 3 rods to try. I really liked the 4 wt (I can't remember if it was the 9' or the 8' 9", but I think it was the shorter one — probably 3 pc). A very smooth, lovely rod, but it just didn't have the power I needed for my specific need (a large western, windswept river fishing large flies — salmon fly hatch). I love my 5 wt, but I remember the 4 wt was a wonderful rod. I was tempted, but I couldn't justify the expense (he'd also built me 2 spey rods).
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Bill,

Does the wt.5 rod ( 3 pc.) rod have the power needed for a mid/large western windy rivers when fishing large flies?

Also, do you remember if wt. 4 you had tested was fine for small flies and moderate winds ( up to 15 mph) ?

I have heard that 4 pc , SH rodr from Burkhaimer are much faster and perfect for windy conditions.

Martin

Last edited by sazan; 06-04-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 PM

I have a CH Burkhiemer 4 wt blank being built now. I have yet to cast one, but the folks that have say they are some kind of nice. I am excited about receiving it. It should be along soon.
I will use it here in New England, no big rivers really , but a 9 footer should make a nice nymph rod for most streams. Which is really what I want it for.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Martin

The 5 wt handled both the salmonfly nymphs and dries very handily. I also fish it sometimes on the main stem of the Delaware, although there are times I go to a 10' 6wt.

Also, do you remember if wt. 4 you had tested was fine for small flies and moderate winds ( up to 15 mph) ?

It's been 10 years, but it seemed to me that it would. I don't know if he's changed his policies, but every rod I've gotten from Kerry, we've talked about it first on the phone. And in the instance of the 5 wt, he was happy to ship me 2 (maybe 3) rods to try. If he still does that (and you're not in a rush) that might be the best.

Bill
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

I don't know if he's changed his policies

Kerry still does it. I have right now his two wt. 5 mock-ups : 9' and 9'5" , 4pc .
Both are medium-fast rods . 3 pc are more of a moderate action. However Kerry has near 60 taper in wt.5 class and can make the rod ( action, flex) for a specific application.

I like 9'5" wt. 5, 4pc; although it is med-fast action, I can feel near entire blank working during back and forward cast. This blank is mark as a 4/5/6. Personally I consider it as a 5/6. Works beautifully with WF 5 and 6 line. The blank's flex depend on amount of grain/line's length out of the tip and generates quite fast line seed. Interestingly works very well with faster and moderate hand motion.

The rod will be used on typical Alaskan Rainbow ( 18-25") and larger western waters.

Handles trout style small/medium bunny leaches quite well. No problem with 7-8' sink tip up to 35 gr. on line wt.6 ( Rio's Closer line).

If you need a rod for long 12-16' leader for a wary trout when dry fly fishing., he can adjust the flex to accommodate a long trout leader.

Keep in mind that when you talk with Kerry, you are dealing with very experience fly fisher, who was a guide for a long time and happens to be probably the best blank designer in the world.
Last year he sent me a mock-up of his SH rod which was a bit to strong/stiff in the lower 1/2 half of the rod. After a phone conversation 5 weeks later I got the rod I had exactly in my mind !!!!!!!!!!

Kerry can tuned up his double handed and salt water rods as well.

If anyone is interested in a list of Burkheimer's rods, I drop me an PM and can sent a near complete list his rods.

There is an UK site which has almost all rods listed
I can attached the table in form of pdf file with list of rods only.

However to do so I need Juro's OK

Zb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.