Urgent advise needed on salmon fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Urgent advise needed on salmon fishing

Hi all,
I had arrrived recently to the UK, near WHALES. I do trout fishing and I want to atert with Salmon. I need to buy a rod and a reel.I had been told by a shop that if I dont want to sepend much cortland (15) are ok, and the reel isnot that important. IThe first statement looks nice, but the second....I thought for salmon finsinhg the reel was really important. Please let me know your thoughts, I ned to buy something withihn the next two weeks. I particurlarly appreciate a advise on quality price reasonable ratio.

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you are going to do this casually once or twice, I might agree with the recommendation for a cheap reel. However, if you are an avid angler and will pursue this beyond the tourist level, then I would invest in a decent reel.

A decent reel can be sold or used in other situations, like saltwater angling. It will also be trustable on remote trips where a cheap reel will let you down. It makes no sense to pay thousands to go somewhere with a hundred dollar reel that will fall apart.

So like many things in life, the degree to which you should invest in your equipment is relative to the degree of dedication you have to it's use in the field.

After many years of trying everything I now just buy Danielsson reels for salmon, steelhead and general saltwater use (bonefish, striped bass, tarpon, etc). They are neither cheap nor prohibitively priced and will not let you down.

My oldest one is 10 years old and don't tell anyone that I have never so much as serviced the reel, not even once.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM

I would certainly second Juro's advice on reels, but I am a bit confused by your post.

It's my understanding that salmon fishing (that is, Atlantic Salmon fishing) is quite expensive, no matter where you are, and certainly the salmon fishing in UK has to be pricey. In Canada, I paid $160/day to fish Sector B on the Bonaventure, in Quebec, back in the 90's, and that was considered reasonable. The Matapedia was running $75/day for the public water back then, and altogether I spent over $800 on rod-fees alone for a week's fishing. Most Salmon anglers would think I got off cheap.

So, you can buy a lot of reels for what one day's salmon fishing will cost you. I'm wondering if you aren't asking about sea trout?

Again, to second Juro, if you intend to fish for salmon or strong, sea-run fish of any sort, and investment in good quality, large capacity, drag equiped reel with stand you in good stead for many years. You can acquire a reel of this quality for what one day's salmon fishing would cost.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
In moderation

To give you advice on what to buy it is probably best to start with where do you want to fish.
You mention Wales.
There are a number of very good sea trout (sea run browns) in Wales but very few if any good salmon rivers, The Wye used to be good 20-30 years ago but in recent years apparently it gets a small run of autumn fish.
I I fish for salmon in the UK it is normally on the Tweed and then in Autumn.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pete,

I fully expected to see a picture of the MAKO in this post

BTW - the stripers have invaded in FORCE.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
You mention Wales.
Actually, Pete, I think his post said something about WHALES...do the salmon commonly run with the whales in the Irish Sea?
Flydoc
Old 06-08-2008, 02:56 AM

thanks

thank you all
Sorry for not coming back earlier. I was in a business trip.
I had been offered a cortland real. It look fine , but the problem is that although it comes with four extra spools those spools are mede of graphite ( although the reel is aluminium), so I dont like it( they fall down the fllor and game over).

What od u thbink? Do you agree?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:43 PM

????

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Pete,

I fully expected to see a picture of the MAKO in this post

BTW - the stripers have invaded in FORCE.

Really got me wondering. Why would you expect to see a picture of a Mako in Pete's post?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.