Glad to be coming Back - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM
mike oliver

Glad to be coming Back

Hi Guys,

Hope to see some of you over the coming two weeks. I am arriving in Cotuit on the 2nd june and then moving to Dennis Port from the 4th to the 8th to fish around Chatham area for a few days. This year there are a total of 5 in my group. Two Fly Fishers and three half and halfers. ( Some Fly and spin)
I guess the beaches will have changed a lot from last year. Hear the fishing has been good at times. See you soon.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Mike, the half and half types sounds kinky to me. We refer to them as being on the darkside. See you next week.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Mike, the half and half types sounds kinky to me. We refer to them as being on the darkside. See you next week.
Jim- we'll make sure to redirect the half and half types to Provincetown, where they'll feel right at home
Flydoc
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 AM
mike oliver

Jim/Flydoc,

I guess you could see things that way, in fact I should have forseen it. LOL. Last year was our first visit to Provincetown and lets just say it was an unusual experince. I am highly pleased that I will be donning 5 layer waders when fishing the flats near the stone dyke with at least two wading belts.

Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Guys,

I reckon ole Mike might feel right at home in Provincetown himself Save the storys for the Squire or get a few drinks in Mike and he will tell you himself

Let the annual invasion commence

Alan
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

So whats the plan for British Invasion '08? Who / when / where?

I don't want to miss the sequel to last years thrilling episode
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Juro,

Mike, his Merry Men and his half and halfers will be arriving Monday next.
Myself and three others will be arriving on Saturday the 7th. At least one other party quantity unknown will be getting in on the same day. Those are just the ones I know about. Arranged to meet up with Mike in the Squire Sunday the 8th. That is if he is not on fish in which case dynamite wont shift him
Our party will be staying in West Yarmouth.
Mucho fishing and drinking of Duff will be compulsory

Alan
Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 PM
mike oliver

Juro,

It is sad that Steve Binks is not able to come with his usual party this year. I still have the memory of Steve completely oiled slouched at the bar in Squires pretending to listen to some young pretty thing who obviously needed glasses. Jim's two sons were pretty far gone to. But to their eternal credit they made it out to Monomoy with Jim and others the next day. fragile but there all the same.
I arrive as Alan said on Monday 2nd June and stay in our rented house in Cotuit for a couple of days before moving to a Motel in Dennis Port from the 4th to the 8th June. Idea being to be closer to the fishing around Chatham. After the 8th I may go back to my buddies in the house or go wondering off on my own. I will have a new Guy Allan Hughes with me between the 4th and 8th who is in the US on business but has stolen off those days so he can fly fish Stripers for the first time. He is just a tad excited. I can't wait to see his face when he hooks his first Blue Fish. Most of us Brits like them. Well someone has to love these toothy critters.
That's it in a nutshell, we will fish our usual 12 to 15 hour days and fit in sleeping and eating around it as best we can. We have to make the most of our 14 days.
Hope to see some of you around.

Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver
I can't wait to see his face when he hooks his first Blue Fish. Most of us Brits like them. Well someone has to love these toothy critters.
Mike
Now wait just a minute Mr. Oliver, not all of us Yanks are opposed to catching Bluefish? I for one am one of those Odd Yanks that love catching bluefish, They fight good, eat fairly good and they even bite back, now who cannot help but appreciate that? Of course maybe it is my English lineage that makes me the " Odd Yank"
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 AM
mike oliver

Warren,

Lineage has a lot to answer for. Nice to know at least some like these Gamesters of a fish. A USA surf Virgin friend of mine a Lawyer ( There is justice after all) was happily thumbing Stripers until the moment he lost his concentration and thumbed a Blue fish. Never knew Lawyers could yell so loud or bleed so bad.
I hear you have an exceptional run of Blues this year. I have got plenty of American wire with me. LOL. Essex Alan hates them. Only Brit who does.

Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 AM
mike oliver

Warren,

Lineage has a lot to answer for. Nice to know at least some like these Gamesters of a fish. A USA surf Virgin friend of mine a Lawyer ( There is justice after all) was happily thumbing Stripers until the moment he lost his concentration and thumbed a Blue fish. Never knew Lawyers could yell so loud or bleed so bad.
I hear you have an exceptional run of Blues this year. I have got plenty of American wire with me. LOL. Essex Alan hates them. Only Brit who does.

Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 AM

Mike, I love the scrap they put up and their bully boy nature but when you get to unhook them....Their eyes seem to be following your fingers just waiting for an opportunity. Saw a few hospital cases last year so nice long pliers are one of my essentials. Most of them chew the fly off anyway and takes from stripers seemed to dry up if you put wire on. 50lb fluoro seemed to be one answer and the long range release is the other one. Yeah I guess you could call it a love/hate relationship

See you there Matey!

Alan
Old 05-31-2008, 07:08 AM
President of CAC

I look forward to seeing you guys. I will be down after June 8 as that is my daughter graduation from HS. But it will be weekends plus a day or two on either side. I will talk with Juro and Jim Simms about scheduling some rip trips during the period of your stay.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 AM

My theory is that the blue fish is the fisy equivalent of the good old english bulldog.

Just booked flight for 14th june through til 22nd, so will miss you again Mike!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Bluefish= trout with teeth, ON STEROIDS
Love to catch and eat 'em- drag them up on shore, hold their head in place with one foot, then grab their lower jaw with my Boga Grip knock-off before using hemostat clamp to remove the fly. Then either release 'em OR cut the throat/bleed them dry/gut 'em, ice 'em, fillet 'em, marinate 'em, broil 'em, eat 'em.
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.