08 Spring Clave, In The Books - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Middle Aged Member

08 Spring Clave, In The Books

Fishing was spotty, cuisine at the barbaque simplified but great and the company even better.

I hear good things about Friday's fishing. I stood in the upper Bass river for about an hour late in the afternoon without seeing a sign. This is a dawn, dusk or high tide location so expectations were'nt high. Adrian hit a great worm hatch in the vicinity later that evening.

Overslept Saturday am but, with the horizontal rain, it didn't matter. Spent the morning riding around from spot to spot but couldn't bring myself to brave the elements. Deja vu all over again except I sure did miss Basser. Fished the refuge when the weather cleared. Nice outgoing. As soon as it started running hard I hooked up. Figured I was in for an hour of fish after fish based on experienc at that spot but after the one nothing happened.

Hit the bayside Sunday am. Mainiacs overslept but eventually joined me. I had half a dozen early including a couple of small keepers. I bailed at 9:00am, then back to reality.

In summary:
Expected hot spots were slow
Bayside was apparently the place to be
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Trip report

Thurs and Fri we fished in and around Cotuit. Fish were there but had to work for them . Covered lots of ground (via kayak) and took two or three at each location. No keepers, few micros, and some slot fish in the mid 20's. Sat looked for blues on the south side, worked all day for one fish. Sun hit CCB area and took a few early AM to mid 20's.

Was great to meet some of you and hope to fish with you this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM

About all I did was manage to loose my wallet

Sean Juan & I caught a few fish at various locations, both sound & bay side over the course of the weekend. There was a noticeable lack of any bait everywhere we went. From Washburn Island to Wellfleet. I did not fish at the refuge. Even though the weather was not the best, The company was outstanding. As was the BBQ. it was good to see old friends again & meet the new ones. I'll be back down in a few weeks I need to finish off my bottle of scotch I left with Jim Simms...Heh heh if it makes it that long that is
Old 05-19-2008, 03:57 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
In summary:
Expected hot spots were slow
Bayside was apparently the place to be
Fred nailed it.

right tide and wind and the fish were there, if you covered the ground and put your time in on the water.

right tide on Friday & Saturday, Sunday not so much. . . .

great to see the maine guys again, catch up with some old faces and meet some new ones at the barbie and on the beach.

as always, a pleasure to fish and drink with the Simms crowd, fishhawk and long lost cousin CSJ.

the apprenticeship continues - I am now tying up 12" schoolie flies

Mark.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Flats Rat

Thursday morning I checked out the refuge without a bump but did see two schools of bunker tail flipping. I made a few casts on the surf side but came up with just a bump that might have been a fish or a piece of driftwood.

I fished a worm hatch Thursday evening that rivaled anything I have seen anywhere No big fish but plenty of surface activity and the usual presentation challenges. Size seemed to be the key and a small GP about 1" given the occaisional twitch in the current produced some good action.

Friday at the Canal kicked off the "official" event with Paul , Sean, Jim (Flydoc) and Steve from NH. We elected to have a friendly wind and gave the two handers a good workout East of the Herring run on the mainland side. No tugs but there was plenty of bait, mostly small herring about 4" hugging the rip-rap. I also spotted a few very small squid working through the weeds. The Skagit lines perfomed well. Elsewhere, Big Dave had been exploring on the South Side in his new cool Native Watercraft Kayak and came home with a huge bluefish which was deep-fried to perfection and assisted down with a couple of G&T's. Bluefish are excellent eating when prepared properly at this time of year!

Saturday morning was a blow-out so we did the fly-shop tour. The afternoon turned out nice and I headed over to the refuge and met FredA on my way to Stage Harbour. A lot of hiking produced two small stripers but the water looked spectacular. Saturday evening, Dave and I returned in search of hatching worms. The hatch didn't materialize but there were bass feeding at the surface on the downwind shoreline all eveing and some great fishing. Dave picked up a 30" fish and we both had a few in the 24" range. A well placed cast into the rings of the boil produced almost every time.

I made it to the Stone Horse just in time to bag the last burger and a slice of Chris and Drew's awesome cake

A big thank you to Craig (CSJ360) for saving me a shot of that excellent cask strength single-malt - you are a true gentleman!

It was great to say hi to old friends and meet some new ones. I even got to meet Pete Vicar!!!

Sunday morning I took off to fish Buzzards Bay after some great reports from the previous day. As so often happens this time of year, those fish were long gone and the next wave hadn't quite arrived. We did pick up a few dinks.

Compared to previous years, the Chatham area certainly seems a bit slow to get going . Or maybe the past few seasons things have been early? From what I see going on in parts South and West, it is going to be a bumper year given the amount of bait (Herring and Bunker).
Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Skunked on Friday, despite moving from Canal to West Dennis Beach to Morris Island over the course of the day. Got reports that things were active on the Bayside, so Highway61 and myself braved the early AM rain/wind on Saturday to fish the northern shore of Wellfleet Harbor with some modest success, before moving down to the west side of Stage Harbor inlet....bad move apparently, but one of the few places where one could fish given the now howling westerly winds. Called it a day around 3 PM (had been up since 4 AM on short sleep after Friday night at the Squire). The usual outstanding Clave BBQ at the Stone Horse Saturday night, which wrapped up with a performance by "Juro and the Clavers...UNPLUGGED". Late appearance by the Mayor in his finest professorial attire.
Sunday was the day of days for me....started off with a nice schoolie landed and a few long line releases on the Brewster flats, before Highway61 and me relocated back to Wellfleet. I caught only one more fish all day, but it was the biggest @#$*&'ing fish I've ever caught....after what had to have been a 7-8 min tug of war, I landed a very ticked off 38 inch striper....after laying my rod over it to mark it's length for later reference (didn't have a tape measure with me at the time)....took a few deep breaths, then lovingly released it back to the now warming confines of Wellfleet Harbor. Those who know me will take this story at face value; I did not have a camera, as I had a cell phone short out while in Florida following a brief exposure to the salt, and will never bring a piece of electronic gear not made for fishing anywhere near the water again. Steve (Highway61) had trekked on ahead to another promising spot, and so was not their to witness the event. There were some guys on the other side (?Forum members?) from where I was fishing who may have witnessed the battle, but I can't say for sure. I tried to get Steve into the action as soon as he came back to the same spot, and had a few nibbles in that area, but no more fish solidly hooked or landed that day.
Finished up just south of Minister's Point, marvelling at the Nauset Break, and sight fishing for keeper-sized clumps of weed drifting in the current, that for all the world looked to me and Steve like cruising stripers....guess I'd better give up my aspirations of hanging up my stethoscope to become a striper guide
Looking very much forward to the upcoming weekend, when the action should really start to heat up.
Flydoc
Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
_

I was 0-fer on Friday and Saturday . I tried a couple of south side spots, Morris Island and Harding Beach. I bumped into a few other forum guys who reported some success, and I got to see Kimosabe and Alan hook 2 fish in a row right next to me . The fishing was a little disappointing, especially as compared with last year, but it was great to see some old friends and meet a few new ones and the cookout was a lot of fun. "Good job" to all who were involved in the planning and preparation.

Word had it that there were fish on the bayside, so on Sunday I started at Sesuit Harbor but I couldn't even catch a schoolie from the end of the jetty . Then I spent some time at Sunken Meadow Beach, which looked awesome and had loads of bait, but I didn't even get a bump. After the tide dropped a bit I went to the Brewster flats and made my way out to the edge. I caught about 5 fish in a row (3 on consecutive casts ) which were all small, but each time there was a bigger fish shadowing the one on my line. I thought I'd hit the jackpot but then I casted for a long time with only a couple more bumps. I finally hooked up again, this time with a pretty good fish. It pulled most of the line out of my basket and I was going to get it onto the reel, but when I tried to let it take the last bit of line it came off the hook . I casted for a while longer as the water started getting deeper and moving faster, and I figured that the fish I lost was going to be my thrill for the day. Then I saw a shadow moving against the flow and I flipped the fly out to the general vicinity. The line immediately came tight and a nice striper jumped completely out of the water right in front of me . It made a strong run and I got the fish on the reel, then it ran again but I was able to stop it before it got into the backing (it's a good kind of pain ). After a nice battle that included a few more runs I was able to land this fish, which measured 33+ inches .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brewster Bass2a.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	6777  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
_

This morning I went back to Brewster right at the bottom of the tide. After the water started filling in I hooked and landed another nice fish, maybe just over keeper size. Hooked one other small fish that had a big one underneath so I tried to upgrade. I was able to drop the small fish but the bigger one didn't go for the fly. That was it for the day, although I did try a few more spots.

Q
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
President of CAC

Got to the Stonehorse around 11 pm, just in time to wake FishHawk up. Nice to see everyone who was there at that time..Just Fished Sunday with Al Parquet and Larry (shadfreak) who stayed over and we left around 9 for the ferry. We decided that we should atleast try south beach and the Ocean side to see if we could spot migrating pods as we had done every year at the clave. Unfortunatly, Keith was there at 8am but no one showed up so he called it a day. We decided to try the south side and fished Ridgevale beach on the incoming but nothing...headed over to the Bayside but as expected, high tide, and no where to go ... Coffee at the Brewster General Store which is always a treat to walk around ,and called it a day...left for home about 3... Hope to be back this weekend for the RipRyder and south beach....
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Yo Flydoc,
Way to go Jim, you have been due for a big one for too long.

Q I am also glad to hear you got one too. Nice pic.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian

Friday at the Canal kicked off the "official" event with Paul , Sean, Jim (Flydoc) and Steve from NH. We elected to have a friendly wind and gave the two handers a good workout East of the Herring run on the mainland side. No tugs but there was plenty of bait, mostly small herring about 4" hugging the rip-rap. I also spotted a few very small squid working through the weeds. The Skagit lines perfomed well.

tsk,tsk...Western end on that tide this time of year. I heard they were biting bigtime
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Yo Flydoc,
Way to go Jim, you have been due for a big one for too long.

Q I am also glad to hear you got one too. Nice pic.
Warren- Thanks buddy...we'll have to get the three of us (you, me, and Steve) back there the next time the two of you are back down here.

Quentin- glad to see things picked up for you on Sunday as well. Hope to see you down again this coming weekend.
Flydoc

P.S. Can't wait for the REAL stripers to start cruising off Minister's Point
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
6th Year Apprentice

quentin - I also had big fish shadowing my schoolies, only 3 of mine were actually attacked, 2 of which were grabbed by the tail

I also got to watch another guys fish get taken by a 36-40" cow - it must be a spring thing . . .

thats why I'm a tying 12" schoolie flies
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 AM

Reports pretty well sum up the fishing for the Clave. It was good to see the Chris and Drew from Maine. Had a great time with Craig and Jim and his son Chris at the "Pressure Cooker. " The Sims Clan have the magic touch with the ladiies just ask the spiked chick.
We had some good parking lot fishing with Paul Cheever and Sean Ransom.
Good to shoot the breeze with Warren and Sean Juan.
FishHawk.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM

A big thank you to all for your kind hospitality!!!

It was the first time for Alan & I and we had a blast. It was nice to have met some of you guys and hopefully more in the future. Here are some pics, hope it is ok to post them.

Our host, Juro

Old and new forum members shooting the breeze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.