Line to Leader - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to FlyFishZak
Line to Leader

I am heading out for a day of speckled trout fishing tomorrow, and for the life of me cannot tie my line to leader using a nail knot. I did a search on the forum and realized that I am not the only one who is having problems with it. Whenever I pull the two ends tight, the loops unwrap on the line, leaving me with a mess. Is there any other knot that I could use to secure my leader to my line? I have done many searches on the internet looking for another knot, but the only suggestion seems to be the nail knot.

Thank you for your help.
Zak

Edit: Due to a paper clip and a grand total of about two hours, I finally realized that I was forgetting to wrap my leader over my leader, instead of just over the fly line.
I knew paper clips were good for something.

Last edited by FlyFishZak; 05-16-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 AM

Zak...guess you solved your problem :-) I use an Albright knot.....easier to tie in the field (no paper clip necessary :-) ) and never slips due to the super slick coatings on many fly lines on the market now. Its' one criticism is that it has a tiny bump (ie. not as smooth as a nail knot) but hardly a real issue unless you are shooting line with your leader still in the guides :-)
Ron
Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 AM

I also have switched to using an Albright knot after using a needle knot running out of the centre of the fly line for over 25 years. A braided leader loop sounded like a good idea and I tried one out when they came on the market. However, I immediately lost confidence in them when the first one flew off on a cast. Luckily, I had a spare braided loop in my vest and I tied it on with an Albright knot instead of using the shrink tube. I found that this worked so well that have done this with all of my lines.

A needle knot might look better but I found that practically, it caused the fly line casing to prematurely crack and fail at the knot, no doubt because of the hard spot created by the knot. The bulk of the leader to fly line knot is irrelevant in most cases because with a rod of 8-9 ft and a leader of 9-12 ft, the knot does not run through the tip top when casting, playing or landing a fish, only when reeling in to go home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.