Battling Turtles? - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
_

Battling Turtles?

I stopped at the lake tonight for a few casts and saw two large snapping turtles grappling with one another in a small backwater area. They were either fighting or doing that other stuff that kind of looks like fighting . At one point they had their jaws locked together, and when they broke free I heard one of them hiss at the other. There were several other snappers in the area, and I'm not sure if these two were fighting over a potential mate or if they were in the process of courting/mating. Either way, it was a whole lot more interesting than the fishing .

Q
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 AM

Another 'I saw a cool thing' post:

I was watching a seagull hassle an osprey that was bringing a herring back to the nest. When they got close, the osprey's mate launched from the nest like a falcon and hit the seagull, hard, knocking it right into the water from about 50' up. I watched the seagull flopping around for a minute, and it didn't look like it could get airborne again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I was looking for early summer run steelhead on a Cascade mountain river in Washington state when two juvenile bald eagles decided to play 'chicken' overhead. They each sat on an exposed tree trunk maybe 175-200 ft high and 50 yards apart staring each other down. At the exact same instant they would fly full speed at each other and as they got nearer the talons came out and forward.

Each bird would swivel one way, and the other had to swivel opposite so that their talons were opposing. In the span of seconds each swivel caused the other to counter over and over at approach speed until they clasped claws for a split second then flew on to the other's perch.

Now I'm not talking about flapping in place and squawking, but rather a silent and swift full-frontal head-on eagle speed mirrored by same, the gap closing at full speed as the deadly claw countering adjustments were made in concert with each other.

They may have been siblings, and what could have been a death blow was more of a high five on contact. Then they did it again and again, as if for fun.

With the deep green mountains of the pacific northwest forest towering over the glacially tinted river where each stone appears polished by hand, it was several minutes before casting came to mind.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
_

Awesome! Where's the camera when you need it?!

Fishermen see some amazing things. It's no surprise that many people wave off our stories as "fish stories" and label us as liars . I've seen things that I wouldn't believe if someone was telling the story to me and I'd never seen such things before!

Q
Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Certified Fish Nut

One more trip down memory lane...

Remote tiny little brook trout stream in Maine about 4yrs ... moving thru an unproductive stretch I noticed a rock moved "Funny" when I stepped on it... Luckily didn't bite me... turned out to be a Dragon Snapper ( I think they are called) that was about 2' in diameter... Picture a bit fuzzy since I had to use polarized sunglasses as a filter but you can see Turtle in red frame... I've had quite a few run ins w/ these things over the years... they are huge, covered in sharp boney extrusions, and can bite a 6" log in half w/ their bite.

Anyone in the NE run into these before? Or am I cursed...

I've seen them in SE New York State, VT, and predominately in Down East Maine bogs.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
_

That sure does look like a rock. I'll take your word for it that it's a turtle .

When I was a kid, I was walking through a marshy area near the river, stepping on branches, rocks, tires or whatever to keep from sinking into the muck. I made a long step/hop onto what looked like a rock, and in mid stride I realized that it was actually a big snapper . Another very quick step had me in muck up to my ankles . I've seen some really big snappers but I don't think I've ever run into any like what you described.

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.