gaspe upd - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

gaspe upd

York is looking GOOD for June and on the Matapedia the Routierville bridge is still entact and no longer in danger. The Ultramar in town of Matapedia is no longer in da water ! . Still "some "danger of flooding in lower Matapedia though!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Howie, the logs from your cabin can be picked up in the town of Matane at the dam(just kidding ) !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM

There must be huge amounts of snow on the ground and in the hills still to melt, no?

Gaspe doesn't look to be getting the incredibly warm weather that we are receiving in Ontario and western Quebec, so I imagine that the melt is going pretty sedately right now.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
They had a pretty tough winter in St Rene this year with snow levels at all time highs. The last big storm around March 23 dumped over three feet of snow on top of the 3 - 4 feet of existing packed snow. I had 7 feet of snow on the roof on March 24, which had to be removed or else the logs would be down by the dam.

Its been over freezing (not very warm) with periods of sun and rain recently, so the run off is slow but consistent as it stands right now. All we can do is hope that no huge rain and hot weather hits the area now. The rivers have seen mother nature at her worst in the past 8 months. Hopefully we are in for a break.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Still lots of snow here in Cascapedia. I have been home for a week now and have seen the snow melt about 2 feet already. There is about 3-6 feet of snow in the forests and about 2 feet around town.

When I got back there was a hell of a lot more than this but the snow seems to be seeping very well into the ground. It would appear that the ground is not frozen deep this year which should mean that we will have a good consistent melt.

It sucks when the ground is frozen deep as it causes floods. The soil cannot absorb the melting snow fast enough. This year however, it looks like things will melt well, despite the amazing amount of snow we got this year.

SO GLAD I MISSED IT!!! at least most of it...

Howie, next year do NOT take anymore chances with your roof! Get someone to shovel it off when there is only 2 feet of snow. When I came home the snow was up to the base of the roof at my cabin! Holy Barbless Hooks Fishman!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Historically my roof can take 2-3 feet of snow, as the center beam is a huge spruce. My caretaker shovels it when ever it gets over that like after that recent March storm which dumped over 3 feet in one shot in St Rene.

Will be going as soon as the road is passable. Right now, its not. Perhaps by early May I can get through with no problem....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.