Need help... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Need help...

As some of you have probably read, I'm moving to the Denver area. I'll be driving out there starting next Sunday and figured this would be a good opportunity to stop at some waters along the way. I'll have all my gear in the car with me including my tying gear since I don't trust movers with thousands of dollars of rods, reels, and other gear. Plus if I want to take a break anywhere, I'll have everything I need.

So if you're interested, please provide me with some suggested stops along the way. I'm already considering Spruce Creek in PA and the Grand River in Ohio for some steelhead. These will be trips for just a few hours of fishing to break up the trip. Any and all suggestions welcome! I can even sneak my float tube in the car if necessary for some stillwater fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Scott...not sure if you will want to stop when you get close to your destination, but there are stretches of the Platte River that would be ideal for a few hours of fishing. It is a fairly shallow river with great wading potential. I can't recall specific spots since it has been a long time since I was out there. I am sure if you google it, you will be able to get more specific info. Good luck in your new home and have a safe journey. Here is one link that will get you started.

(link removed again)

Steve

Last edited by juro; 04-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks Steve, I'm actually going to be in the Denver area for a few days before I have to start working and my family won't be there yet so I'm going to do some (i.e. a lot of) fishing and the Platte is definitely on my list.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Scott- I grew up in Co and have made the MA to CO drive many times. I don't believe the Platte along I-80 is going to hold much of anything for you- as the old timers said about the Platte and the Powder in Wyoming, "a mile wide and an inch deep, to wet to plow, to dry to drink." Unfortunately, you may be a little late for the cranes- way cool.

Your best bets will be once you arrive, PA or OH notwithstanding. The South Platte will be spot on then as will the Blue ( over the divide about an hour from Denver) and the Colorado between Hot Sulphur Springs and Parshall are all good bets. Remember- access is Co is not like access in MA or ME- a fence means no. If the landowner owns both sides of the river, they own the river bed as well- no public trust property.

I don't know if you're planning to 70 or 80, but I would strongly suggest 80- once you're past Chicago, no more cities to speak of - Mass Pike to 84- 84 to 81 ( close to the Delaware) 81 to 80 and then west until I-25 into Denver.. I used to make it Boston area to OH/IN line day one, Grand Island Nebraska day two and into Boulder early afternoon on day three.

There's a lot of fishing out there.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks titleguy. I'm going to be taking 495 to 90 since I have to stop at my parent's house in upstate NY and they're right off 90. I'll stay on 80 after I leave Chicago and 90 splits off to go north. PA trout and Ohio steelhead are the only things I've been able to find that are worth stopping for short of Colorado. I have a buddy that used to live out there and the Blue was his river of choice. I'll definitely check out the rivers you mention once I get out there.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Hell, if you're on 90, you're going right through steelhead alley- think Erie PA

As for the Blue, every time I fished it, people would say " how was it?" and I would say, "it bl$w". However, I would strongly recommend the Colorado around Byer's Canyon- great water, and big fish.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 AM

I would not get in too big a hurry to head to the Colorado, lots and lots of snow has fallen this winter and you will find access to be a lot of work trudging through snow. A friend who lives in Hot Sulfur Springs called me and said they had about another foot of snow fall yesterday. Get in touch when you get to Denver and I will try to help you find some places to go. It looks like the run-off is going to be huge throughout the state this year.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks fishinfool, that's good to know. I was looking at the South Platte and Blue River too, any idea if they're accessible or not? I'll be arriving in about a week and I'll have a few days to fish before my family gets there.

I mapped out a route yesterday to fish the Colorado, Blue, and South Platte in a big loop by going out 70 to 40, then going around to Silverton and down to the South Platte, then back up 70 and home.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Scott- the Blue and Colorado can be done in the same day; you'd be pushing it for the South Platte though. The Blue will be accessible in Silverthorne ( Silverton is down south near Durango)- you get to fish by all the outlet stores. It is a tailwater so as long as you stay near the Dillon Res. Dam it will stay clear. The first or second exit after the Eisenhower Tunnel is the Silverthorne exit ( you'll actually cross the river) andthen the river follows Route 6 all the way to Green Mountain Reservoir. If you stay on 6 until Kremmling and then go right ( east on 40)you'll find the Colorado right off. The Christiana Access area in Parshall gives you a nice stretch to fish- little nymphs.

The South Platte in Cheeseman does not look that far from anywhere on the Front Range, but once you get of the main road in Pine and head towards the river, it takes awhile. You need to spend a full day there anyway- hope for clouds, wind and precip in the afternoon and you will see a BWO hatch like you have never seen.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm thinking that I might make the loop a 2 day trip and just sleep in my car one night. But I'm not really sure yet. I've heard a few places now that I may have a hard time fishing some places because of how much late season snow has fallen. That would really be a bummer!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM

Could be,but there's a lot of driving in between. Do you have snowshoes? If so, do the CO and the Blue, drive another 90 miniutes from the CO and fis hthe Yampa below Stagecoach Reservoir outside Steamboat and hit the South Platte on the way home. Check PMs. Adios.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:01 AM

I have fished the Blue and Colorado on the same day and often find it makes a good combo when/if conditions on one are not good. Especially in the spring, there can be some weather fronts pass through that bring winds that make fishing on the Colorado all but impossible. I have seen times when two heavily weighted stone fly nymphs as well as weight on the leader just sail like a kite. We lovingly refer to that condition as a Colorado River Bl*w job. I would start at the Colorado and then come home via the Blue and on down 70.
I would never even consider a combo of either with the Platte. You are going to need to find places to fish and then do some experimenting to find what is going on when you get to the river(s) so the driving time involved just precludes being able to do the Platte too.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM

I read these posts and wondered why no one mentioned the Arkansas. With a few warm days you will start to see caddis hatching and the BWO should be on as well. If you really feel the need to drive, 11-Mile canyon and the Dream stream are close by. It would be easy to hit all three in two day and you do not have to deal with the mountian passes. Plus the area around Salida is beautiful.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Question

So, are you here and have you fished? I think now would be a very good time to try your luck in cheeseman canyon with the higher flows and therefore, larger flies.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 AM

Well I've been out in Colorado for a while now. I've been so busy with the new job and the move that I haven't been doing much on forums in the last couple of months. I stopped and went after steelhead on Ohio too but only got a few smaller ones. I fished for a week after I got out there. The water up on the big rivers (Colorado, Blue, etc) was still 40 degrees when I got here at the end of April so I ended up fishing small streams coming out of the foothills that were a lot warmer. I tried some of the colder waters but the fish weren't interested.

My wife bought me a guided trip on some private water on Big Thompson for my birthday and I did that a few weeks ago. I paid for 6 hrs but I encouraged the guide to fish with me so he stretched the day out to 8 or 9 hours since he was having fun too. I got a bunch of fish, but nothing too big.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.