Striper Aquaculture Breakthrough! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
resigned

Striper Aquaculture Breakthrough!

What if Striped Bass could be farmed inland away from harming wild stock and fed insects as food instead of ocean baitfish and wipe out the need for commercial fishing? Someone is working on it with great success. Since the company is not a sponsor, I can not tell you about it here. They have a wonderful video. Very informative. The wave of the future in fish farming. If the Moderator will issue permission I will post it. Or, PM me to learn more. This info was received via Brad Burns. President of Stripers Forever.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Phil send me the link. I would like have a look & I will discuss it with the moderator team.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
FWIW, I see no problem posting the link. I viewed the Striper Foreover link recently, and it could, possibly, ultimately, be a salvation for our striped friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Jonesin...

Phil,

I agree with Jim and Warren. Don't see a conflict for our sponsors in posting that kind of link.

Sean
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Stripers, being the very adaptable fish that they are, could be stocked in many freshwater reservoirs/lakes/rivers for the purposes of creating sustained freshwater commercial and recreational fisheries. I recently viewed an episode of In-Fisherman TV where they were catching some some serious cow stripers out of a large midwestern reservoir. The only obvious concern in using such fish for the commercial market would be insuring that the waters they come from are sufficiently free of contaminants (mercury, PCB's, etc) that could be concentrated in the flesh of the fish. Apart from that, proper management and regulations to keep the harvest of the freshwater stripers at sustainable levels.
Where there's a will (and $$$), there's a way.....
Flydoc
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Local Boob

Hey I'm all for innovation...but I think this may be a stretch.

My issue is that I don't believe that successfully farming stripers would wipe out or even reduce commercial fishing.

True, commercial fishing for stripers could end...but if the commercial fleet changes nets and increased efforts to target herring, squid, bunker, or heck even crabs - that could ultimately be worse for recreational striper fishing, than targeted commercial fishing ever was...

I'd be much happier if Omega-3 producers found or farmed another source. If the bait was better protected the stripers would be as well.

And let us not overlook the impact of retards who target stripers with 6wt rods and whip them to exhaustion - these Sportsmen need to be kicked in the nuts to make sure their defective genes don't get passed on.

Doc, I think you are also over-looking another huge concern - introducing top-tier predators to an ecosystem that developed without them. Sure many reservoirs are man-made, but that doesn't mean its not a unique ecosystem deserving of some serious consideration, nor does it mean that stripers would not fill a niche. Just needs to be considered on a case by case basis.

Final concern: Where are they planning on getting that many insects? Breeding insects always ends in tears.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
Doc, I think you are also over-looking another huge concern - introducing top-tier predators to an ecosystem that developed without them. Sure many reservoirs are man-made, but that doesn't mean its not a unique ecosystem deserving of some serious consideration, nor does it mean that stripers would not fill a niche. Just needs to be considered on a case by case basis.

Final concern: Where are they planning on getting that many insects? Breeding insects always ends in tears.
Sean- that's why fisheries biologists would have to be in charge of it all, to ensure it was done right, with respect to both the stripers and the water systems they were being introduced to.
As for breeding insects, I almost went blind in college biology lab trying to figure out the gender of those darn fruit flies
Flydoc
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 AM
resigned

OK then. Here goes.

www.neptuneindustries.net Click on video.

www.stripersforever.org for the text on the issue. Top right hand corner, Aquaculture.

I don't think this will wipe out the commercial fishery. But it's a start!

Phil
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 AM

I agree with Sean. I'm not a big fan of Striper Forever.
FishHawk
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
As for breeding insects, I almost went blind in college biology lab trying to figure out the gender of those darn fruit flies
Flydoc[/QUOTE]

Flydoc- it's easy to sex insects, just pull down their genes....

The fish farming sounds like a viable option but, there can be problematic consequences. On the left coast there are salmon farms right now. The rivers they are based in have seen disease increases in the native fish populations. It's believed the diseases are caused by the fish waste that accumulates under the pens the salmon are being raised in.

Maybe someone will volunteer to scuba dive under the pens.....

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Every time I see stripers that live in landlocked reservoirs, they're always incredibly fat. I mean gut busting puking up food fat. They must be doing some serious damage to the native species by either eating them or eating their food sources to get that big. I'm not a fan of introducing fish into non-native ecosystems for any reason (with a select few exceptions). Don't get me started on what stocking browns and rainblows has done to the brook trout.

That being said, fish farming needs to be developed in order to provide a viable alternative to harvesting wild fish. We farm all of our meat we buy in the supermarket and we should be doing the same with fish. We just need to do it without introducing fish into the wild. We don't introduce a million cattle to roam the range free and then go harvest them. We farm them. Create giant man-made reservoirs isolated from other waterways and farm there. It's done with largemouth bass (yes LMBs are farmed as food fish, many Asians living in the US regard them as a delicacy). The same could be done with stripers and many other species.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Dirty Jobs Episode

There was a dirty jobs episode about some type of commercial fish farming operation out in the desert. I believe it was striped bass they were raising and also raising Talapia in the same tanks. The Talapia were scavangers eating the waste of the stripers.

It was pretty intersting.

I believe it was striped bass that they were raising, I can't remember exactly at this point. The episode was pretty good and the system that this company had going seemed to be working pretty well. I'll see if I can locate the name of the company that was in that episode.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Them: "Welcome to High Country Seafoods... tonight we are offering the striped bass or tilapia specials"

Me: Umm... Hows your bacon burger?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Yup!

60 "Vomit Island Workers" August 14, 2007 Fish farming hybrid striped bass, tilapia, and carp; bird conservation ("Vomit Island," Ohio)

I saw that episode and swore I would never eat Tilapia ever! All these fish ate was the waste from the Stripers.

"What is the special of the day?"

"Why we have a nice filet of Tilapia blackened...."

"Okay Terrific, what about chicken."
Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
6th Year Apprentice

the problem with any farming is the amount & source of feedstuff and dealing with the waste.

for me, a better long term solution would be to clean up the rivers and estuaries where stripers used to breed/holdover, protect them from predators like cormorants and seals by culling, and stop the sandeel & menhaden harvests.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.